Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: placement of water return and exit in tank  (Read 10072 times)

jackel440

• View Profile
placement of water return and exit in tank
« on: March 09, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »

I was over picking up a load of hay,and my hay guy has a corn boiler that heats all his buildings and house.I was checking it out and noticed that the pumps are mounted to the lines coming from the bottom of the tank.I take it you would be pushiing water away from the furnace correct?So his setup would be pulling water from the bottom of the boiler.I would think you would want to pull your hot water from the top of the firebox,and return the cooler water to the bottom of the tank.That way it would absorb heat as it circulated back to the top of the tank.
I am still designing my stove and trying to decide on how i want my water paths to be.Plus be the most efficient.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: placement of water return and exit in tank
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »

I was over picking up a load of hay,and my hay guy has a corn boiler that heats all his buildings and house.I was checking it out and noticed that the pumps are mounted to the lines coming from the bottom of the tank.I take it you would be pushiing water away from the furnace correct?So his setup would be pulling water from the bottom of the boiler.I would think you would want to pull your hot water from the top of the firebox,and return the cooler water to the bottom of the tank.That way it would absorb heat as it circulated back to the top of the tank.
I am still designing my stove and trying to decide on how i want my water paths to be.Plus be the most efficient.
jackel, i have pondered this exact thing for a long while (at times) and i don't think it matters much..if you pull the water off the bottom and your aquastat is on top then you will be pushing cooler water to the aqastat that would result in a longer burn time ( i think the bottm feeder would mean that the whole tank would need to get to the set temp before the aqastat would shut off the damper)

if you pull the water off the top of the boiler than the aquastat may be satisfied sooner

i like you are planning have a home made stove, i piped mine so i could switch easily if i wanted too but have never done it as i feel pulling the water off the top is safer...i have fears of dirts and rust entering the line if you were to "suck" from the bottom. I feel (at least i am hoping) that as the cooler water is pushed intot he bottom of the stove that is moves slow enough to the top that fine particles that could hurt my pump or clog my lines settle out. I do have a filter in the house but it is after the pump

so right now my vote is "off the top" for longer life of the pump

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:43:16 PM »

I think I will be setting mine up to pull off the top of the tank.I think you maybe right on any contamints settling out before the pump if it's at the top.I didn't consider the thought of dumping cool water in the top causing the aqua stat to create longer burn times.
I don't want to create longer burn times or make the furnace inefficiant.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:51:28 PM »

imnot sure  dumping in the top would make it inefficient. it would just make it so the whole tank would be up to the same temp, it would burn longer but it may stay shut off longer as well..ii am not sure but i do think you may pick up more solids in the water pulling from the bottom
i will consider (in my next stove) pulling water from the very front of the stove near the top adn dumping in the back at the bottom..this may deter any "hot spots" of where water does not move much
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:38:40 AM »

In the two stoves that we have,we take the water from the bottom and return it to the top.The return line extends to the front of the stove at the loading door end.The thermometer is at the top at the loading door end also,and the water temp.is the same  there as it is at the outlet for the pump.So I think the mixing is pretty good this way.
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 03:22:48 PM »

I had thought of using a pipe inside the jacket to direct the water to circulate under the bottom and then up the other side toward the top.I was think'n this would cause the water to move around inside the tank so there would be no stagnant areas.

I suppose it would not matter anyways.I expect there is also the chance the water could stir up sediment on the bottom too.

I have no experiance with these pumps so I don't know what to expect for the output to be like.I don't know if the water will shoot out or just flow slowly from them.I would know that to decide if it would make the water turbulant enough to stur stuff off the bottom.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 04:56:26 PM »

jackal..the "bottom" doesen't have to be the bottom  you are building your own. the bottom may be a nipple 3 inches from the true bottom or what ever you like

also you could weld in a coupling in a few spots that you may want to experiment with and just put plugs in them.
and by all means, report your findings to us all

as for pumps stirring things up..i guess that depends on the pump . i think the taco pump i use goes up to 28 gal per min. but i am not sure about head lose and such on my 250 foot one way run but even if it was half that, 14 gal out of a 1 inch pipe might cause some stirring action?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 07:06:23 PM »

jackal..the "bottom" doesen't have to be the bottom  you are building your own. the bottom may be a nipple 3 inches from the true bottom or what ever you like

also you could weld in a coupling in a few spots that you may want to experiment with and just put plugs in them.
and by all means, report your findings to us all

as for pumps stirring things up..i guess that depends on the pump . i think the taco pump i use goes up to 28 gal per min. but i am not sure about head lose and such on my 250 foot one way run but even if it was half that, 14 gal out of a 1 inch pipe might cause some stirring action?

WillieG
   Your right since i am building my own the position of the bottom can be changed.I hadn't planned to put the bottom nipple right on the bottom.I thought i might put a clean out at the very bottom to be able to check the bottom for debri.
   I might just weld in extra nipples so I can experiment if i want to.Atleast they would be there for future use if I needed them for something else.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

ouch

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 02:45:29 AM »

I believe the reason for pulling off the "bottom" is to keep from starving your pumps.
and gravity helps to force feed your pumps. drawing off the top leaved little room for error
if the water level drops.

just my 2 cents.

ouch..

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 08:52:21 AM »

Good point.
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 09:05:59 AM »

Another point well taken.I didn't even think about the extra pressure to help the pumps.Also if it was low on water it would definatley remove the problem of running low on water,and sucking air into the system.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Roscommon

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 01:41:59 PM »

I think drawing from the bottom would also get better mixing of the water.
Is the hottest water next to the water jacket and cooling as it rises and mixes.
If it were a storage tank and you wanted to get stratification yes pull from top
return to bottom.
Heatmor returns to left top and draws from right bottom

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 05:27:06 PM »

i do agree on drawing from the bottom as to not starve your pump but i also think drawing off the top does not have to be the top 3 inches

and if you boil over and lose that much water (with the thin water jackets i have seen on a lot of these stoves) the pump may be the least of your worries

and i have never really thought of the extra pressure on the pump...my pump is 250 feet from my stove in the basement so i guess it is about as low as you can go

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 03:58:44 PM »

Hey Bill,,, I was looking at the picture of you plumbing,,,,,, Is that an electrical connection just to the right of the pump?  If so,,, what is it?  Temperature sensor??

Was thinking of adding a filter to my system.  After reading about pulling off the top vs. bottom, and the thoughs of sediment, weld spatter, etc. in the water, I think it would be a wise investment.  I use them in my domestic water in my house,,,, one with a 15 micron sediment filter, and one with a 5 micron charcoal filter.  They do a good job.
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 04:03:18 PM »

yes mark..the wire is a temp gauge (got the idea from someone here) it also works well fro checking my radiant floor temp
also with the filter i usually change it every fall and run all my water through it till it starts to get cold..then i open the bypass valve and let some get buy to ensure a good water flow in the cold weather,
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada
Pages: [1] 2