Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Second stove  (Read 4553 times)

loadthestove

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Second stove
« on: November 11, 2009, 07:34:22 PM »

I'm currently in the process of building my second stove .The first one worked well enough but after a year of use I have discovered a few things that wern't built into the first stove.Have a question that maybe someone can help with.
 I'm planning on mounting some probs in the tank,one on bottom,one in the middle and one near the top of my tank.I plan to use the water as a conductor and using 12 volt light develop a way to know what my water level is.Also I can setup a relay using this so my pump will not run if I have a water leak.has anyone ever tried this and if so did it or did it not work?
Thankx

R W Ohio

• View Profile
Re: Second stove
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:09:24 AM »

Post some pictures of work in progress.
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

loadthestove

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 05:47:34 PM »

I will get some shots posted in a few days.As mentioned this is my second stove.The first one was but in the traditional manner with basically a barrel inside a barrel.I'm trying something a little different on this one.As mentioned I have a six foot section of a 500 gallon propane tank. My plan is to use the tank standing vertically.with basically the top 35 inches being the water tank and use about twenty four inches on the bottom for the fire box.this design will give me around 200 gallons of water.I plan to use six inch gas well casing thru the middle of the water for a smoke stack.the stove is pretty much an easy build as all i have to do is cut a 36 inch dia plate for top of firebox(bottom of water tank) and use a square plate for bottom of stove.

I,m trying to use some sensors and 12 volt lights for water level.with my current stove I'm using a fan forced draft until stove reachs around 140.and use a natural draft after this point to maintain my temp.I'm using the same type spring control for a natural draft as the old combustioner used.with this setup I have very low smoke and generally have a bed of hot embers at all time.

Dirtysailor

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 12:20:19 PM »

What about using a siteglass on the side of the boiler as opposed to the 12V light?  You could still use the 12v to backlight the site glass.

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 03:48:14 PM »

how about useing a rv water tank style level sensor setup? the kind you press a button and l.e.d lights lite up...like i have in my camper. i used 12v transformer ,the one to charge the kids battery powered jeep,to light my 12v automotive style water guage light.