Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Finally experimented with some coal  (Read 2427 times)

DaveWertz

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
Finally experimented with some coal
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »

I went to my local coal yard about 3miles from my home and got 100lbs of nut coal for free to try out. That was the biggest they had so since it was free decided why not, right? Anyhow today I threw in about half of a 5gal bucket in on a hot bed of coals and let it be. Now I had a few small pcs of wood left in there from lastnight. This was around 1pm, I went out tonight before work around 8pm and the coal was pretty much burnt up. I thought it would have lasted longer? Well I added about the same amount tonight and filled the firebox about 1/3 to MAYBE half the way up with wood. Im hoping to see some good results with this. Coal is really cheap around me. I can get 1 scoop which is 800lbs for about $20! Thats nut coal. I will continue to tinker with it and load more and more each time. I have my temp set at 180 with a 5 degree diff. If it stays cold enough I will have more time to play. But if it works I will be taking my dump truck and getting me a ton and mixing from here on out as long as I still live in this house.
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290

userdk

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnaces - Pineview Woodstoves
Re: Finally experimented with some coal
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:19:08 PM »

You're lucky. It's hardly available in Wisconsin, and I almost guarantee it'd be at far higher prices here.

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 10:40:52 PM »

Yeah some places want an arm and a leg but most you can get it next to nothing. I mean we even have a powerplant that is coal fired. But natural gas is taking over now. There is actually a natural gas powerplant being built about 200yrds from my house. I actually have meeting set up Monday afternoon with the owners and the project manager of Panda-Patriot about buying my home. Most of my neighbors have already sold there homes to them and moved out already. Im hoping im next. Then with my new home I will be getting a new OWB! Thats if the price is right!!!
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:11:13 PM »

I just hunted up your project area ...I have had friends there,, the "pickets" off of I think 80 .........shoot some deer for me well ya.....

userdk

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnaces - Pineview Woodstoves
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 10:09:03 PM »

Yeah some places want an arm and a leg but most you can get it next to nothing. I mean we even have a powerplant that is coal fired. But natural gas is taking over now. There is actually a natural gas powerplant being built about 200yrds from my house. I actually have meeting set up Monday afternoon with the owners and the project manager of Panda-Patriot about buying my home. Most of my neighbors have already sold there homes to them and moved out already. Im hoping im next. Then with my new home I will be getting a new OWB! Thats if the price is right!!!
Did the EPA shut 'em down? ;)

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 10:25:17 PM »

Did they shut down the coal powerplants? Im assuming thats what your asking? No they will still but up and running they will just provide different areas with power, they will basically downsize and split what they did have with this gas fired plant. Its hell of a site to see if I can I will take some pics of those massive turbines that I can now disgustingly see from my living room..  >:(
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »

Here is the buck I got last weekend. Atvalaska Im not sure where the pickets your refering to is at?
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 11:58:52 AM »

cool  pic ...that's their last name ...there is a big hwy that goes thur a spot where the east and west lanes are far apart...one of the kids worked at "shop vac...the other, at a prison in the samenneck of the woods.... parents have since past...

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 05:41:34 PM »

I think your talking about williamsport that is where shop vac is. Thats about 15min from me... Small world huh lol
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

allis48

• OWF Brand: natures comfort
  • OWF Model: ncb250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 07:10:44 PM »

#6 lump coal is $95 a ton here