Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Firebox size  (Read 8684 times)

yoda

• View Profile
Firebox size
« on: April 07, 2009, 05:38:12 PM »

I've noticed alot of owb makers rate their BTU output based on water capacity of the stove, it doesn' t make much sense to me, in my thinking wouldn't the size of the firebox determine BTU?  bigger firebox, bigger fire? also the bigger the firebox the more heated surface area in contact with the water.
 I bought a shaver and the firebox is very small compared to a woodmaster, at the time I was thinking, smaller firebox with the same BTU rating as the woodmaster, should burn less wood, I definitly think my reasoning was flawed. Now I'm thinking the bigger the firebox the better, more surface area for the fire to warm.
 I don't know, anybody have any thoughts? ???
Northern MN

ARE

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Firebox size
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:51:35 PM »

The high efficiency stoves all have smaller fire boxes that I have seen. I purchased the E-2300 but don't have installed yet, looked at the Aspen 175 and it had an even smaller fire box. According to the EPA web site for testing the high efficiency units, I chose the e-classic because of the area I am heating (higher btu, fact, claim, bigger box?) and had a dealer of the Aspen and E-classic close by. The Central Boiler guy said I would get by filling twice a day when cold, live in West Central Wisconsin a lot of days well below zero, especially this year. I do know, more space (air volume) such as higher ceilings in a house takes more heat. Would the same thing apply with a stove? Having a smaller fire box might be more efficient but might have to fill more often but not at the same rate as the volume of air in comparison. Plus the second burn on HE units is suppose to give the extra boost. My Buddy has a CB6048, lives in same area (hope the model number is correct) with the same size house so after next year it will be intersting to compare notes
CB E-Classic 2300

yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:28:41 PM »

I will also be very interested in you and your buddys wood useage comparison, let us know.
 I was more talking about non high efficiency units, I think the new high efficiency stoves may be a whole different ball game, If you don't mind me askin, how much did you pay for your stove?
 I think alot of us are real interested in the new high efficient stoves, but a little apprehensive, and are kinda taking a wait and see attitude.
 I know I for one used alot of wood this year, around 12 cord so far :-\
Northern MN

ARE

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 11:12:16 AM »

$9880.00, including tax and $200.00 freight, they also had a $2100.00 rebate at the time. They are more but I want to stay in good graces with the neihbors and hopefully burn a lot less wood, less smoke. I have watched the e2300 and the Aspen175 in action and they do not smoke all that much using dry wood. I do know my buddy with the CB6048 tells me he goes through a ton of wood but he uses his all year around for water. He also burns anything he gets his hands on. Hopefully after nex year I can have a good side by side comparison, or something fairly close.
CB E-Classic 2300

John D

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 09:34:34 PM »

I dont think any OWB smokes much using dry wood.My Shaver doesnt smoke when i load it with dry wood.I will get smoke right after loading for about 5 minutes,and again when the fan turns on,it will blow a quick puff of smoke,nothing for me to worry about with my closest neighbor being well over 1000ft away.Now when you throw in wood thats wet,or has laid on the ground and picked up moisture,it can and will smoke pretty good at times.
      Yoda, I agree with you in that exchange area is very important.Shavers do not have a lot of exchange area,they could use a lot of improvement there.Im pretty sure thats why CB installs the rippled top on there fireboxes,thats the hottest part,and they get about 40% more exchange area there,between the firebox and water,it has to help.