Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: central boiler cl5036 or a heatmaster mf 5000e  (Read 8054 times)

lasor1

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster ss
  • OWF Model: Heatmaster mf 5000
    • View Profile
central boiler cl5036 or a heatmaster mf 5000e
« on: July 23, 2011, 09:55:25 AM »

:thumbup: hello I am new to owbs. I been looking at a heatmaster mf5000e and a central cl5036 I have 2 dealers close by to me that sells these boilers I am leaning toward the heatmaster but haven't heard any reviews on the mf 5000e and is it worth the extra cash over the standard 5000 series thanks for all your help also does anyone know how good these companies stand by there warranties thanks!

Ridgekid

Re: central boiler cl5036 or a heatmaster mf 5000e
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 08:36:24 AM »

Welcome!  :)

I'm not going to knock the Heatmaster, but I will tell you why I bought the CB5036. (It might sound like a knock down but don't read into it too much.) These are my opinions only.

1. Carbon steel Contracts and expands better than SS. SS will eventually crack.
2. Chimney location. Eventually you'll have to reaseal the roof to the Pipe
3. Insulation? What kind does Heatmaster use? CB blows neprene which makes a better seal from the elements when it's cold outside (it won't sweat)
4. Capacity. 190 vs 130 gallons. You will have fewer burn times with the CB.
5. CB has a Larger firebox. Fewer trips to restock.
6. Finally, less moving parts on the CB. Or should I say less maintenance issues. One door gasket and a chimney access door. For me that means less headaches. 

I can't tell you about warranties, since I'm a newbie and just got ours. I did register my unit and got the official notification I'm registered. Better yet I was told the warranty won't start until Dec 2011 since I bought it at the end of the season.

On another note (to prove I'm not completely bias) I know someone that has a heatmaster. He has not had any problems. He runs it 24/7 and burns EVERYTHING in it. (you don't want to know) Keeping it hot all the time might be the key. Might be a selling point if you want to run yours all the time.

In any case. Good luck with your decision. Hope I didn't make it more confusing for you.

Regards~

lasor1

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster ss
  • OWF Model: Heatmaster mf 5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 10:44:02 AM »

Thanks for the info you have some great points about the 2 boilers. I wih someone had a breakdown on cb waranty what it actualy covers. I lean torward the cb but I like heatmasters warranty if the stand behind it. I wonder how hard well water does in the boilers.

Ridgekid

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:21:20 AM »

I filled mine up with well water. Did not have any problems. My well water had a PH of 7. (normal is 6.5-8.0) After adding Rust inbititor it went to 9.0 (normal 8.0-9.5)

Good luck!

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 02:58:01 PM »

Welcome!  :)

I'm not going to knock the Heatmaster, but I will tell you why I bought the CB5036. (It might sound like a knock down but don't read into it too much.) These are my opinions only.

1. Carbon steel Contracts and expands better than SS. SS will eventually crack.
2. Chimney location. Eventually you'll have to reaseal the roof to the Pipe
3. Insulation? What kind does Heatmaster use? CB blows neprene which makes a better seal from the elements when it's cold outside (it won't sweat)
4. Capacity. 190 vs 130 gallons. You will have fewer burn times with the CB.
5. CB has a Larger firebox. Fewer trips to restock.
6. Finally, less moving parts on the CB. Or should I say less maintenance issues. One door gasket and a chimney access door. For me that means less headaches. 

I can't tell you about warranties, since I'm a newbie and just got ours. I did register my unit and got the official notification I'm registered. Better yet I was told the warranty won't start until Dec 2011 since I bought it at the end of the season.

On another note (to prove I'm not completely bias) I know someone that has a heatmaster. He has not had any problems. He runs it 24/7 and burns EVERYTHING in it. (you don't want to know) Keeping it hot all the time might be the key. Might be a selling point if you want to run yours all the time.

In any case. Good luck with your decision. Hope I didn't make it more confusing for you.

Regards~

As far as the carbon stell handling heat better than stainless.  That is true for the most part.  However most stove companies besides hardy use a 409 steel which in reality is practically 88% mild steel.  So it handles heat cycles as well as regular steel.   

As far as the 304 Grade stainless in a hardy, I've seen several fire boxes have to be replaced to do stress cracking and also a type of corrrosion. 

With all due respect your thoughts on whats better sounds more like what someone told you than what you've experienced.  There is some big efficiency gains with the fan espeially on the HE models, It makes your fire recover faster.  Also the stainless is a bit thinner and gives much better heat transfer.  However I wont knock the Central boiler one bit, they build a great product.  There is reasons othere companeies build stoves differently though.

Heatmaster is very particular with there water testing and work hard with dealers taking care of any problems that might show up.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Ridgekid

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 05:34:36 PM »

Scott-

It's a forum and I was sharing what I learned and read from various websites. And yes those websites included (but not limited to) Central Boiler and this one.  I also had contact with a metalurgist who explained the properties of metals. (They love to share thier knowledge!)

Combined with what I read and was"told" I decided I did not want to "Experienance" the problems that could arise by using SS. 

Your right about the differances in SS. Thanks for sharing the differances on this site.

NCredneck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 07:53:23 AM »

Hey, I am also looking at a Heatmaster HE model. I know one guy that has one and he loves it. I think they make sense as far as the extra turn in the unit for maximum heat transfer. The biggest reason I like them is the new ones are 409 water jacket and box. I feel like if you had to burn some green cuz you didn't cut enough wood it would do a better job than gassifiers too. Seems like the ash pan would be good for cleanout also...anyway I think you can't go wrong with either one of the boilers you are looking at cuz they are both big name boilers. I have been looking at a used Cl5036 and still haven't decided which one to go with either...good luck.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 08:05:10 AM »

Hey, I am also looking at a Heatmaster HE model. I know one guy that has one and he loves it. I think they make sense as far as the extra turn in the unit for maximum heat transfer. The biggest reason I like them is the new ones are 409 water jacket and box. I feel like if you had to burn some green cuz you didn't cut enough wood it would do a better job than gassifiers too. Seems like the ash pan would be good for cleanout also...anyway I think you can't go wrong with either one of the boilers you are looking at cuz they are both big name boilers. I have been looking at a used Cl5036 and still haven't decided which one to go with either...good luck.

The he models from heatmaster sip the wood, the extra by pass in the top does more than most people could imagine.  There getting burns not as good but comparable to gasifiers, probably 10-15% difference. 

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697