Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Sizing a CB  (Read 3362 times)

chugn

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Sizing a CB
« on: August 17, 2011, 02:13:05 PM »

Howdy first post been reading up for a while but could not find a similar question.  I am looking at the e classic 1400 and 2400 been getting alot of conflicting information. I have a 175 year old house completely renovated but still not very tight including basement living space its about 2400 sq ft.  Is the 1400 enough to heat my house or do i have to go to the bigger 2400. My other issue is that i am a fireman and work 24 hour shifts and want to get the longest burn possible so my wife is not feeding the unit with wood. I get wood for free and am currently averaging 1200 oil per year. House has baseboard upstairs and radiant heat in the basement slab, eventually i am going to renovate the kitchen and put in radiant heat.  My buddy is in the process of buying a boiler his house is newer and a lot larger he say the 1400 hundred will heat his house no prob.  Any input would be appreciated thanks for the great site.

Ridgekid

Re: Sizing a CB
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:30:01 PM »

I think the 1400 would heat your home, but not for your 24 hour shifts. In fact I would not be surprised if you have to feed it 2-3X a day in extreme cold weather.

I think the best thing to do is to contact a CB dealer and ask the same questions.

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:24:47 PM »

You didn't mention where you Live? Your climate in your area is going to be your biggest variable for you in deciding which model you choose. I used between 1200 and 1500 gallons per year of oil myself and I go through about 10 cubic feet of hardwood per day(24 hours) when it's very cold. My OWB is a gasifier also, so I think based on the amount of oil we both use our heat loads are close(assuming our furnaces are close to the same efficiency) and the 1400 will definitely heat your place, but when it's very cold your wife may have to throw in a few pieces before she goes to bed. According to CB's site the 1400 holds about 14.4 cu. ft. of wood. Mine only holds about 5 cu. ft., and I'm out there at 10 pm. filling it to get me by till 6 am.
  Keep us in the loop.

Marty
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

chugn

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 08:37:37 PM »

I live in the lower hudson valley if that helps

chugn

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 02:19:14 PM »

Thanks marty that is helpful In NY the 2400 is considered a commercial unit I still would be able to purchase it because I live on a farm.  I would rather get the 1400 because of the price and I could put it closer to my house because of the difference in set back req. between comm. and res. units.  My biggest concern is the burn time its hard to figure the actual difference in burn times and if it warrants going up to the bigger unit :bash: sorry about the list below got a little skewed

List of Certified Outdoor Wood Boiler Models
Manufacturer   Model            Certified Emission Rate(lb/mmBtu,heat output)                     Classification   Minimum Setback(feet)   Fuel
Central Boiler   E-Classic 1400           0.27                                                                                      Residential   100                                   Cord wood
Central Boiler   E-Classic 2400     0.12                                                                                      Commercial   200                                   Cord wood
Central Boiler   E-Classic 3200           0.08                                                                                    Commercial   200                                   Cord wood
Central Boiler   Maxim 250           0.066                                                                             Residential   100                                   Wood pellets
Heatmor           200          SSR II   0.315                                                                            Residential    100                                   Cord wood
Piney Manufacturing   Optimizer 250   0.23                                                                                  Residential          100                                   Cord wood
Pro-Fab Industries   Empyre Pro Series 200   0.23   Residential   100   Cord wood
Woodmaster   30KW   0.04   Residential   100   Cord wood
Woodmaster   60KW   0.04   Residential   100   Cord wood
Woodmaster   60KW   0.16   Residential   100   Wood pellets

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 09:27:35 PM »

chugn,
   I don't know all that much about the CB gasifier line of boilers. I'm more familiar Portage and Main and Empyre. I googled your climate in your area and it looks like you are only slightly warmer during the winters than I am. I think that if I were in your shoes and your new boiler would be your only heat source and you will definitely be away for 24 hour shifts from time to time, I believe that I'd go with the 2400 based on what has been said about the two gassers. Most gasifiers don't appear to function as well when they are stuffed full. It seems that even the guys who are able to go 24 hrs. easily prefer to load them twice daily. It's too bad that CB doesn't offer an in-between boiler to fill the gap between the two sizes. I think that if you are going to error one way or the other, I'd error on the big side. That way if you ever wanted to heat a small pole barn or work shop you'd have the extra capacity to do it. I'm curious as to what your local CB dealer came up with for you.
   Keep us in the loop
   Marty

Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter