Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hydro Fire/Central Boiler. Does anyone have one of these? What r the differences  (Read 11827 times)

mattjones711

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

I am purchasing a Hydro Fire HF 60 by Central Boiler and am wondering what the differences are from a regular Central Boiler unit.  I tried looking online, but I couldn't find any info.

Thanks,
Matt

Ridgekid

Don't know. Looks like a new product. Can't find nothing on thier webpage...yet. Looks like a modified "Classic" boiler.

http://directory.qualifiedremodeler.com/product/10193054/Central_Boiler_Hydro_Fire_Outdoor_Wood_Furnace

mattjones711

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

Actually the one I'm going to buy is used, it was made in 2004.
It looks just like a Central Boiler Classic except it doesn't have that
black vertical-raised hood on the side of the unit (not sure what that is,
I'm new to the wood burner thing). I was wondering if the difference was
natural draft vs. fan forced air.....

Ridgekid

OH ok. Not new product. It natural draft then.

Thats why it looks so much like our 5036. I haven't been around them that much. I can see the resemblance.

Is the access panel on the back?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:07:33 PM by Ridgekid »

mattjones711

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

Does the natural draft still work o.k.?  What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Ridgekid

Depends on who you talk to. I heard forced draft gets you a hotter burn, which results in faster reheats. 

I on the other hand like the natural draft. No motor to worry about. The simplier the unit the better for me.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI

I think that is the cheap line they used to offer. I actually got a quote from the local dealer back somewhere around 2003 for one. I ended up going with a different brand but the CB dealer said he had never sold one and didn't know the difference but really tried hard to sell me a classic instead. I think it was about $1500 cheaper than a classic at the time.

mattjones711

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

Hopefully the "cheap" line doesnt mean cheaply built, I already bought it!  I guess if it was made by Central Boiler it must be built well, just not sure what differences there are in the unit and why it was cheaper than the classic.  Hopefully there are no shortcuts in quality.....

Ridgekid

That was fast decision. Hopefully it was the right one.

Do you know the last time it was fired?
Going to do the install yourself?
I'm not sure when CB recommended using rust inhibitor, but it won't hurt.
Might want to call CB and see if you can get a copy of the owners manual-(1-800-248-4681)

And of course, we are all here to help!

Good Luck!

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile

With quality comes cost, that's a pretty general rule, I'm not sure where
they saved some coin but you can bet they cut costs somewhere! 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Ridgekid

Think they had the ripple top design on the hydo fire or just a firebox?

mattjones711

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

The guy took really good care of it and got it serviced every year.  It has the ripple top design.  I have a friend with a CB and they look identical inside and out except the pumps are not on the side, the water lines come out the bottom in the back and are behind the metal siding with no access panel like the CB.  He had a service guy fill the water and add chemicals to it and test it regularly and he also used a powder inside the firebox to reduce creasole (sp?).  I looked at his receipts, he spent over $7,000 on the unit alone and almost $13,000 on all the additional equipment and installation.  He is giving me everything that hooks to furnace and water heater, pipes, and even throwing in a 90% efficiency furnace that is 5yrs old because he is getting geothermal, all for $3,000.  I thought i got a pretty good deal, the firebox is 60" deep.  He just had it serviced and used it last year, also gave me the manual.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Hydro Fire/Central Boiler. Does anyone have one of these? What r the differe
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 07:56:59 PM »

13,000 on a cheap version of a CB?  Geez Louise,
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Ridgekid

Sounds like a good deal to me! The firebox sounds like it has the measurements of 6048. How much do you plan on hooking up to it?

mattjones711

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

Right now just my house. I want to build a pole barn in the near future and will heat that as well.  My house is 2,600 sq ft on the main floor with a full basement, so 5,200 total, of course I wont need the basement as warm as the main floor, it's not totally finished, right now my kids just play and watch tv down there.
Pages: [1] 2