Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Up and running  (Read 5738 times)

Bill G

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Opt. 250
    • View Profile
Re: Up and running
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 06:50:48 AM »

Hey Ridge,
Been away for 2 weeks and home now for a week.  Fired her up, soon as we got home.  Installed Erie 3 way valve to stop the convection/gravity feeding that was happening before.  Works to perfection and all thermostats in house accurate and holding set temps.!!

The mrs. won't allow anymore than 68deg settings, which is OK.  Plenty of hot water for baths, etc. 

Weather changing fast and snow for tomorrow???  Never been more ready for winter! 

My wood consumption was very similar to yours, up to yesterday, when temps really dipped.  Few more splits added.

Bill
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
(Beagles and snowshoe hares!!)
NE PA

Ridgekid

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 07:34:02 AM »

BillG-

I was thinking the same thing. Being ready!! And it's so darn easy to operate! Should of got this years ago!

Wife and I concluded that 72F was the best temp. Not too cold, not too hot. Even then, she's at that "age" where her internal thermostat can't decide what she wants. I tell her to take a walk if it's too hot and put a afghan on when she's cold, but DON"T touch the thermostat. (She can sweat me out sometimes!)

Those 12 pieces I put in 24 hours ago must still be good. The Green Dragon ran right back up to 185F on her last burn.

We will get around 3" Saturday night. I think your getting more. Have fun! 

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 05:55:23 PM »

Ridge,

Had er' set for 175 off/on @ 165.  Today was quite mild and with just a few pieces left and coals, she darn near went out, well not dead out, just took quite awhile for fire to catch up when blower started.  I added more wood and made slight adjustment to 177 off/169 on.  Thinking I need it to fire more often.  8 deg dif. I'd guess you would say.  Just toying around for the current conditions. 

All in all, thrilled with the completion of this project.  Like you, I should have done this 11 yrs back when building house.  I sure wanted to, just didn't have the coin at the time.  Better late than never, and with the current prices of any other type fuel, very pleased to finally have it on line and working.

Time for a cold one, and watch game 7....

Stay in touch.

Bill
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
NE PA

Ridgekid

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 05:58:07 AM »

Bill G-

Cardinals win! What a World Series!

Woke up this morning to 2" inches of snow. The CB must be well insulated as only the snow accumulated around the vent has melted on the roof of the Green Dragon. Water temp is still 185F so I guess I can delay my trip outside to restock.

My biggest worry will be loss of power. I can start my Honda up to keep the pump going, but have no way to turn the house fan on. We'll see what happens.

Get ready.... it's coming your way!

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 08:33:58 AM »

Ridge,

Winds howling and snowing sideways!  The oaks still got a lot of leaves and a wet, sticky snow don't make for a good combination.

Restock firebox an hour ago and very pleased with 14 hr burn on 6 oak splits.  Timed it right and down to nice hot bed of coals with water temp at 176. 

1st day of rabbit hunting today and the beagles are all still in lock-down!  I absolutely don't care for hunting in high winds.  Just can't hear the dogs well and they can't hear me too well either.  Soooo....we'll get out hopefully during the week, on a better day.  Coming off of 2 weeks of snowshoe hare hunting up Maine, and we all could use a day off anyways.

Actually looking forward to getting started on next years wood supply.  Still have 20 lengths of oak, 15 or so feet each, waiting for saw and split.  Bark falling off and should be grade A for next year.  Will get another truck load when thats cut/split/stacked.

Bill
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
NE PA

Ridgekid

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 08:59:30 AM »

Bill

Put ten more pieces in at 9:30. Should be good for another 24 hours.

Lost power one time already for two minutes. Most of our trees are bare. Don't expect too much damage.

Will buy another truck load of timber in a week or so. Then won't need any until the fall of 2013.

Ridgekid

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 07:50:34 AM »

My average wood usage increased to 8.5 pieces/day for the last 10 days. Probably due to the colder weather. If it wasn't for the Plate heater for the HW I would hardly be using any wood. Not complaining mind you, since it been so nice to have HW always available and it's costing me nothing to make it! So I'm glad I added it after the initial install.

The wife commented this weekend on the following:
1. The house temp is better controlled. Before we stocked our indoor furnace and we couldn't control it other than opening windows. (yeah even in winter)
2. The house is cleaner, no more ash dust.
3. She doesn't smell smoke.
4. I pointed out she doesn't have her "winter" cough. So it's healthier too!

I'm still thinking out a previous subject: The Electric Dryer. I wanted to run PEX lines to a heater core on existing dryer using a three way valve, so when the dryer is running hot water would be diverted from OWB return line through heater core. The water would be at least 175F. (How hot does a dryer run?) I would have to find a circuit to open that valve. Not sure if I would need to disable the heating element or if the temp sensor would keep the heating elements from coming on. Still thinking this one out.

Then again, not sure it would be worth the investment since we are empty nesters and the wife only does laundry once a week. Decisions, decisions.

MTJAG

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 08:34:08 PM »

Thanks for that confirmation on the smoke stain.  One of the things I realized is that my stove is facing down wind the majority of time, so when the door is open, the wind is blowing it my way, most of the time.  I do like being able to put in those wooley pieces and let 'er burn.
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 03:26:49 AM »

I made a baffle and installed it. I do notice more smoke than I used to .Its been so mild this year that Im still burning pine slab wood so that could be part of the smoke problem but I do think Im burning less that before.I do need to keep track of wood cunsumpion better.However the stuff I burn is very inconstant in size and type.Im still working on the house and fell behind on my wood gathering this year.I have about 7 cord and will be cutting more over the next month.I guess if I cut a cord a week untill snow comes Ill be good to go.
Pages: 1 [2]