Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Can't get the plugs out  (Read 2397 times)

merrellroofing

Can't get the plugs out
« on: October 22, 2011, 08:53:37 PM »

I am almost done putting everything together on my 6048.  Trying to plumb in a second pump for my shop and I can't get the plugs out of side of the unit.  They are square headed, which I will never understand, and they are set in too far to get any kind of wrench on very well.  I am reluctant to put the heat to it for melting the spray foam.  I bought it used 2 years old so it had some time to heat up or rust up.  Thought about trying to hole saw them out and pry the threads out nicely but not sold on that plan either. Any suggestions welcome

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get the plugs out
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 09:04:12 PM »

perhaps a piece of square tubing that  will fit the head of the plug would work or a 12 sided socket may get in the space

if it is a 1/2 inch square or 3/4 square head, you could possably slide the "wrong" end of an extension bar for a socket set over it and then use the right side wrench to turn the square end of the extension or use a pipe wrench. just a few suggestions that may  help you out..good luck
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »

weld a 1/2 ''nut to fitting ..plug weld the center of the nut,cool it with a wet rag. let it cool down a bit then try it .a impact gun will work better if you have one.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 11:05:12 PM »

The same thing happend to me ! I cut back the spray foam and got a pipe wrench and a  small sledge hammer and it came rite off. Then i painted where i cut the spray foam away to protect the steel!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

dirtryder

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 06:07:02 AM »

I bought one of these:  http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/PROTO-Impact-Socket-1AX17?Pid=search
It MUST be 8 point!!!
It got it right out.  I am a master auto tech so I have "many" ways to get jobs like this done......but in the end, after I tried many ways, getting the proper socket WAS the only (and easiest way).

BTW At this point, I don't remember exacty WHAT SIZE the plug was. I only showed 15/16" for illistrative purposes. Get an open end wrench and see what size it really is. Grainger was the only place I could find one due to the odd size of the plug.

And let's face it....you can never have too many tools :thumbup:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:03:03 AM by dirtryder »