Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Not getting enough heat  (Read 2657 times)

woodburner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Not getting enough heat
« on: October 29, 2011, 09:53:26 AM »

My water to air exchanger is at 175 degrees with the furnace blower off, but when the stat calls for heat and the blower comes on, the return side of the exchanger drops to about 125 degrees or less and the blower runs for hours  trying to satisfy the t-stat. does anyone know what my problem is? Thanks in advance for the help.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I found my problem, and I forgot to mention that I also had a aux. unit in my florida room, which was my restriction. The line size in that coil is probably 3/8" and it was slowing my flow. It gave off great heat though. Is there another way that I can connect it that will not restrict the furnace flow, like maybe a t's in both lines?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 02:15:33 PM by woodburner »
Woodburner
Central Boiler 5036 since Aug.2011
Galloway, Ohio
Lookin for ways to beat the Utility Co's everyday!

mikenc

• View Profile
Re: Not getting enough heat
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 10:16:43 AM »

Lot of factors to consider. Do you a good flow of air threw coil. Do  you have good flow of water threw coil.   Make sure coil is not air locked, or partically locked with air. Is filter clean???

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 01:14:54 PM »

My water to air exchanger is at 175 degrees with the furnace blower off, but when the stat calls for heat and the blower comes on, the return side of the exchanger drops to about 125 degrees or less and the blower runs for hours  trying to satisfy the t-stat. does anyone know what my problem is? Thanks in advance for the help.
you should be aiming for 8 to 10 gpm going through your exchanger. this would likley keep your return line at about 7 to 10 degrees cooler than the feed line.

like others have said, make sure you have no air lock in the rad (this could prevent your rad from filling all the way and cause your problem)

do you have a zone valve controlling the flow of water to yoru rad? if so, it may not be openingn all the way

how big of line is going to your rad can determine the flow of water also

how far you OWB is from teh house, the number of elbows and fittings and the size of your underground lines can all have an impact on how well your pump works, and the size of your pump needs to be matched to the piping system as well
your problem has many possable answers, air lock, bad control valve restricting flow,too low gpm being delivered by the pump

check the easiest things first, i would make sure there is no air lock. then if there were a valve controlling the flow of water to the rad i would bypas that to see if it helped, then i would check the flow rate at the return line of the OWB
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 06:06:43 PM »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I found my problem, and I forgot to mention that I also had a aux. unit in my florida room, which was my restriction. The line size in that coil is probably 3/8" and it was slowing my flow. It gave off great heat though. Is there another way that I can connect it that will not restrict the furnace flow, like maybe a t's in both lines?
I would try putting a T in the supply and return lines for the OWB and see if you get enough heat off the small heater. If you don't then add a small pump in that loop.

woodburner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 07:40:02 AM »

Thanks, I will give that a try.
Woodburner
Central Boiler 5036 since Aug.2011
Galloway, Ohio
Lookin for ways to beat the Utility Co's everyday!