Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Modified my CB!  (Read 2295 times)

Ridgekid

Modified my CB!
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:33:06 AM »

I was so impressed with others talking about having indicator lights when they were in a burn cycle I just had to see how I could make it work on a CB.

After reviewing the schematic, I saw it would be pretty easy. I would be giving up the front light and make it an indicator light only. But since I put in my Dusk to dawn light, it wasn't a issue. I will also still have the side light if needed.

The schematic revealed the orange wire was for the light and the red wire was for the solenoid. I would cut the orange wire and splice it into the red. After removing the electrical access cover on the OWB (not the one on the door) I saw I didn't even need the electric tape, cutters and splicing connector. CB uses quick disconnects. All I had to do was remove the orange wire for the connector FROM the light and paired it with the red wire GOING to the solenoid. That was easy!

It took me longer to find the panel screw I dropped then it did to make this mod! (Large magnet made this task pretty easy)

I also put the 40W bulb back in.

Now when you visit my camera you'll know if it's in a burn cycle or not.

EDIT: It works! Unfortunately in the early morning due to the sunlight you can't see it on the camera. But I can see it out my office window.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:59:05 AM by Ridgekid »

MTJAG

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
Re: Modified my CB!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »

You know, most people work extra hard to keep their wires from getting crossed! ;D

:post:
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

Ridgekid

Re: Modified my CB!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 06:48:36 AM »

Funny. When the OWB was first installed I had issues with the light sensor. Probably could of fixed it myself, but the dealers technicians were still on site, so I made them fix it. Now I go and change it again.  :-\

The light is on, only for the second time. I don't have any wood inside, but large embers. I raked the embers towards the door and waited 15 minutes and rechecked. They lit up like coal! The heat recovery is slow based on my normal 15 minute burn times. At least I'm extracting as much heat as I can out of the wood.

Later I'll rake some ashes out and throw a few logs on. Don't have much of a heat load right now as the daytime temps are getting into the upper 50's.