Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: HELP!!!!  (Read 5143 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
HELP!!!!
« on: November 01, 2011, 05:52:04 PM »

Okay, this thing is screwy.  When I got home from work this evening the CB E1400 Classic OWB was indicating Fire Out again.  Yup, when I open the door sure enough the fire had gone out.  The air holes are clear, the wood is dry (2 years old)...the usual culprits seem to be okay.  So, again, I removed everything from the fire box and rekindled the fire.  As like last night, I had a nice roaring fire within 20 minutes.  The water temp was slightly over 150, the reaction temp was approaching 700.  Now this is the part the part I don't understand.  Why would the water boil over from the fill location when it is only 150 degrees.  When I checked the water level at the site tube, it filled to the point of coming out the top of the tube.  When the furnace was first installed the water level was about an inch from the top of the tube.  Where is all this extra water coming from?  There is absolutely no way for extra war to get in it without a water hose and that's in the basement of my house.  As I stated previously the furnace was installed by a professional contracted through the dealer.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance for your help.     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:57:37 PM »

water like everything else  will expand when heated..it does not have to boil over to take up more space. if you fill the stove to max with cold water (tap water) by the time it gets to 150 degrees it will have "swelled some" i would suggest  you "top it off" when it has "Reached your shut off temp" and then mark it when it is at your "Turn on temp" this way you will have a "Cold and Hot" fill level so you can tell where it should be when ever you look at it in the future no matter when you look

clear as mud?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MTJAG

• OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 06:21:01 PM »

Yes, water is an interesting element.  By the way, it takes less pressure to push hot water than it does to push cool water.  When my dealer filled my unit up, it left room for expansion and indicated such.

I assume your 1400 "bridged" which is why the fire went out?  Does your wood supply consist of split and small rounds and you are loading it flat stacked in the chamber?
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »

Yes, water is an interesting element.  By the way, it takes less pressure to push hot water than it does to push cool water.  When my dealer filled my unit up, it left room for expansion and indicated such.

I assume your 1400 "bridged" which is why the fire went out?  Does your wood supply consist of split and small rounds and you are loading it flat stacked in the chamber?

Thanks for the response.  I appreciate it. 

Okay, I understand what you're saying regarding water pressure; warm vs cool.  What do you mean  by "bridged"?
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »

I'm not familiar with your unit but if you have a electronic sensor control for your temps and being the temps are warm it might be going to its shutdown point arournd 200# and if its like mine it wont turn on till around 140# which would take along time at these temps and your fire will not ignite. You might be boiling over do to high temp in which case you might need a new electronic control which if a ranco control will cost around $70.00 i bought a spare just incase. It will take around one cycle to figure it out but dont be fooled because it might work right a couple of times which I personally can attest to.

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 07:21:22 PM »

I was reading over your post again and was wondering when did you have your unit put in?

MTJAG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 06:55:54 AM »

Thanks for the response.  I appreciate it. 

Okay, I understand what you're saying regarding water pressure; warm vs cool.  What do you mean  by "bridged"?

Roger,

Bridging is when the wood burns at the bottom of the pile and the wood fails to fall down into the chamber.  Usually, it's because the wood is not properly loaded, or it has limbs or knots that keep the pieces from rolling down into the combustion chamber.  I don't have a gaser, but looked into the 1400 before I bought mine.  I am looking for the owner of one that I spoke with up here in Colorado who was very well versed in using his.  When I find his contact information, I will forward it to you. He was very helpful and I believe can get you past your problems.

Johnny

Dean186

• Training Wheels
  • E-Classic 1400 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 10:25:48 AM »

Okay, this thing is screwy.  When I got home from work this evening the CB E1400 Classic OWB was indicating Fire Out again.  Yup, when I open the door sure enough the fire had gone out.  The air holes are clear, the wood is dry (2 years old)...the usual culprits seem to be okay.  So, again, I removed everything from the fire box and rekindled the fire.  As like last night, I had a nice roaring fire within 20 minutes.  The water temp was slightly over 150, the reaction temp was approaching 700.  Now this is the part the part I don't understand.  Why would the water boil over from the fill location when it is only 150 degrees.  When I checked the water level at the site tube, it filled to the point of coming out the top of the tube.  When the furnace was first installed the water level was about an inch from the top of the tube.  Where is all this extra water coming from?  There is absolutely no way for extra war to get in it without a water hose and that's in the basement of my house.  As I stated previously the furnace was installed by a professional contracted through the dealer.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance for your help.   

Hi Rodger,

MTJAG contacted me over at the Forestry Forum.  I have about 300 post over there talking mostly about the E-Classic 1400.  He told me about this forum, so I thought I would join.

Hi everyone!

This is my third year of operating a E-Classic 1400. 

First, the manual and dealer are your friend.  Most of your questions should be answered there.  It also looks like your questions have already been answered here.  However, I wouldn't mind talking to you about the specifics.

1)  When the water is at operating temperature on the 1400, the water fill indicator will show an increase of one inch above from the cold temperature.  As explained above - water expands when warm.  The manual refers to this and suggest filling to about inch below the fill line.  However, I successfully operate mine with the water about 1/2 inch above the fill line without boil over.

2)  When filling the unit with wood, you have to think of it as a hopper that wood falls down into when burnt from the bottom.  If you load the wood like in a fireplace or campfire.  It will bridge.

3)  I found the factory default settings inadequate to keep the fire from going out during the warm weather.  I set mine to cycle 1 minute every 20 minutes.

Hope this helps.  Dean
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:55:09 AM by Dean186 »
Dean

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 10:51:59 AM »

Hi Rodger,

MTJAG contacted me over at the Forestry Forum.  I have about 300 post over there talking mostly about the E-Classic 1400.  He told me about this forum, so I thought I would join.

Hi everyone!

This is my third year of operating a E-Classic 1400. 

First, the manual and dealer are your friend.  Most of your questions should be answered there.  It also looks like your questions have already been answered here.  However, I wouldn't mind talking to you about the specifics.

1)  When the water is at operating temperature, the water fill indicator will show an increase of inch above from the cold temperature.  As explained above - water expands when warm.  The manual refers to this and suggest filling to about inch below the fill line.  However, I successfully operate mine with the water about inch above the fill line without boil over.

2)  When filling the unit with wood, you have to think of it as a hopper that wood falls down into when burnt from the bottom.  If you load the wood like in a fireplace or campfire.  It will bridge.

3)  I found the factory default settings inadequate to keep the fire from going out during the warm weather.  I set mine to cycle 1 minute every 20 minutes.

Hope this helps.  Dean

Hello Dean,

Gosh!, what a great forum.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my concerns.

Now I am getting a better picture of what  need to do to keep it going. 

On the subject of clearing the holes of ash; a few of them have ash in them due to inexperience and inattentiveness.  How should I go about clearing these holes?  I was thinking of using compressed air by manually opening the dampers and push somewhere around 100psi of air through it.  Do you see any reason why this wouldn't work? Or, do see damage to the unit of which I do not know about?

Thanks for the help.

Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Dean186

• Training Wheels
  • E-Classic 1400 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 11:03:47 AM »

On the subject of clearing the holes of ash; a few of them have ash in them due to inexperience and inattentiveness.  How should I go about clearing these holes?  I was thinking of using compressed air by manually opening the dampers and push somewhere around 100psi of air through it.  Do you see any reason why this wouldn't work? Or, do see damage to the unit of which I do not know about?

Thanks for the help.

Roger

You won't damage the unit with compressed air, but it is just not necessary and IMO won't do much good.  In my opinion you are worrying to much about keeping the air holes clear.  The 1400 air holes are designed very well and it takes me very little time to clear them.  I sometimes go 2-3 days without doing anything.

You will soon get the hang of operating this stove.  I only have a fire go out about once per season.  Also, when it does go out.  It is not necessary to remove any wood.  I use a  plumbers propane torch to relight any portion of the wood that is handy in the firebox.  It will start back up every time.

Dean
Dean

MTJAG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 11:25:50 AM »

Dean,
Thanks much for the prompt response.  I know you've had quite a bit experience with the CB e-classic 1400 and these things can make you crazy when you don't really know what to expect.

I suppose you got snow this morning, as did we...close to a foot in blizzard like conditions.  Pretty much over now.

Keep 'em burning,
Johnny

Dean186

• Training Wheels
  • E-Classic 1400 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 11:30:12 AM »

Dean,
Thanks much for the prompt response.  I know you've had quite a bit experience with the CB e-classic 1400 and these things can make you crazy when you don't really know what to expect.

I suppose you got snow this morning, as did we...close to a foot in blizzard like conditions.  Pretty much over now.

Keep 'em burning,
Johnny

You are welcome.  We have a little over a foot of snow here.  I loaded the stove to maximum capacity last night around 9:00 pm so that I would not have to hurry out and mess with it this morning.  It got cold last night, but it will last until mid day when I am out shoveling the snow.
Dean

Ridgekid

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 11:42:32 AM »

Dean-

Welcome and thanks for your assistance.  Your knowledge of the CB E-Classic models is very much appreciated!