Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: outdoor wood gasification boiler  (Read 7212 times)

vinrum

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
outdoor wood gasification boiler
« on: February 10, 2010, 10:08:55 AM »

Hi guys, Newbie to the site. I am trying to get some input on what boiler is reputable and reliable..I am located in CT, and they are getting real strict on issues of owning them. My local building inspector suggested looking at a gasification unit that produces less smoke..I am also looking information from people that own them..Pros-Cons?  I currently burn wood in two stoves, about 5 cord a year.  Its time to keep the mess outside..Any input would be greatly appreciated

Steve

kjw58

• OWF Brand: Natures Comfort
  • OWF Model: 275G- Coal Burner
    • View Profile
Re: outdoor wood gasification boiler
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 11:30:41 AM »

Hi Steve
 I to am considering going to a gasification stove and have been researching them hard and I have narrowed it down to 3. The Central Boiler E-2300,  The sequoyah , or the Portage and Main Optimizer 250.  I don't know which way to go !!!
S.E. Mich.
New Holland TC40DA
IH 464 w/2250 Loader
6 x 10 Dump Trailer
2 Stihl 261's
Poulan 3400 & 3700
Poulan 2150
Homelite Super XL

vinrum

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:00:59 PM »

I have been researching myself,  I have looked at the Sequoyah and the Central Boiler, I also been researching the Empyre Pro 400. I am looking to heat a 3300sqft house, 1600sqft shop, and a 300sqft tack room in the wifes horse barn..Hopefully guys that have first hand opinions will respond to the post

Good luck in your search

Steve

603doug

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »

I have a wood doctor he 10000 and am very pleased, but do the research some of the gasifers have had issue because they were pushed out during the oil price spike and there has been some problems handling the heat. I like the wd model(meets phase 1 for what that is worth) because it is simple and they have been building them for a few years, I do not know much about their other models thou. It is great no smoke and I heat 2 buildings very well, but the best part I am not financing some middle east or a banana republic extortionist.

dirtryder

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:17:56 AM »

I also have a Wood Doctor but have the HE5000 model. Mine works very well, no problems so far (been burning since Oct 1st on 1st. year). Almost no smoke, simple design, all parts to fix (not that I needed any) are available at most plumbing/electric supply stores. There is a slight "learning curve" to operating them but nothing "rocket science" about it. Most of the time in the begining, I would constantly check it to see if it went out.  Got the hang of knowing "when" to check on it. It's a solidly built unit. I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend anyone to look at them for consideration.

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 05:11:18 AM »

Nature's Comfort makes a Gasification wood boiler for under $8,000.00.  The model is the GT-220.  The unit has a three stage burning process which leaves the exiting exhaust smokeless.  There are quite a few of these units out in the field and anyone who owns one is loving it.  You can get more info at www.naturescomfort.com.
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

vinrum

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 05:41:08 PM »

I looked at the Wood Doctor HE8000, its looks very inpressive. Long burn times, and very low smoke!! Exactly what I am looking for.. I also found out today that the Portage and Main Optimizer 250 has major problems with Creosote build up, causing alot of maintance..Something that I am not looking for..Tell me if this sound right?? The HE8000 I looked at today, the family heats a 3000sqft house, a 1500sqft cellar with a Modine hanging unit, and a 2000sqft garage with a Modine. And I was told they burned 6 cord of hard wood last year..Is that possible

maine owb

• ASPEN 175 in Full Operation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 07:48:20 AM »

Look at the empyre by pro fab,  www.profab.org
They are a large company out of canada, I own one and it works well, here in maine i can heat my 3000 sq ft house and hot water using 1&1/3 cords per month, 7 cords for the winter. It is a gasification type, I am more than willing to send you pics or a video of it running.

Josh in Hebron, Maine

dirtryder

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 10:32:29 AM »

I looked at the Wood Doctor HE8000, its looks very inpressive. Long burn times, and very low smoke!! Exactly what I am looking for.. I also found out today that the Portage and Main Optimizer 250 has major problems with Creosote build up, causing alot of maintance..Something that I am not looking for..Tell me if this sound right?? The HE8000 I looked at today, the family heats a 3000sqft house, a 1500sqft cellar with a Modine hanging unit, and a 2000sqft garage with a Modine. And I was told they burned 6 cord of hard wood last year..Is that possible

Yes, I think it is very possible. I have actually talked to the company (Wood Doctor), the dealer that I bought my HE5000 from (MN) , and my "new" local dealer and all 3 told me that the 8000 has been working so well that they are getting the same BTU's out of it as the HE10000. I know because I am looking into possibly going up a size from my HE5000. My unit heats everything I need but I only get 8 to 10 hr burn times when it gets below 20. The reason is because I can physicaly only get that much wood in the fire box. I heat 2000 sqft home, 1000 sqft attached in-law suite, all DHW for both sides, 900 sqft lightly insulated pole barn (radiant in floor heat), and keep my 500 gal hot tub @ 104. I am at the limit with the HE5000 but sill LOVE it. I think 6 cords (4X4X8) is possible depending on their climate. I'm guessing 10 for me burning from 1st week of Oct till sometime in March I guess. My neighbor has a CB, my BIL has a CB and my other BIL has a Mohoney and they ALL get 12 to 18 to 24 hr burn times but use at least 3x the wood. Those units are a "fill with wood and walk away"...........as they smoke all day.
The only question I would have is how do you clean the rear vertical flu "tubes" in the 8000. It is a different design than the 5000 and 10000 but looks very good. That would be my only concern and never asked anyone how they are cleaned. I would hope some kind of easy access. If you find out let us know :)
The Wood Doctor I have is a very well built unit.