Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Air getting into my system causing slow flow......frustrated  (Read 11932 times)

mrmopar22

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML-30-3A
    • View Profile
Re: Air getting into my system causing slow flow......frustrated
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 10:35:52 PM »

i have a feeling your air intercooler is your problem.   why? because its design is for cooling air ,and not for exchanging water to hot air. i would think that it  is the highest component in your system ,which would explain air buildup. the cooler may be creating excess head pressure causing pump to start cavitating. i would try useing radiator instead. although i have read truck radiators do not work as well as the real thing, try for yourself. i would still try to find someone to calculate all your  ft/head  gpm requirements based on ft/dia pipe  type/model of all exchangers. don't know how they will calculate radiator? my feeling is that your current pump is going to be undersized for your application,also explaining your  pumps slow death. in another post i talked about my issues with pump sizing 101. theres really more to it than just moving water. best of luck.

The exchanger in the shop is actually lower than the stove - which makes it more frustrating why the air and pressure builds up. I have a truck radiator in the house.  It was recored and the truck rusted out.  It keeps the house at 70 without any problem; it actually makes the air in the plenum hotter than what the fuel oil did.   I agree, the pump may be undersized, but again, I took a guess.  I don't understand how something that is made to flow over 1000 cfm would cause any kind of restriction.  But as mentioned earlier, if the pump is on the edge, then it wouldn't take much to push it over.
Certified Organic farmer
Lots and lots of IH equipment
Husqvarna chain saws
Mopars

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Air getting into my system causing slow flow......frustrated
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 06:05:34 AM »

your bell and gosset 100 pump does not even chart abobe  8 feet of head so you are maxed out long before our shop rad ,it could be the straw that breaks the camels back

after working your system with 10 feet of head at the stove, then calculating in your pipe length and guessing at elbows and things o have came up with a total head of 26 feet
a taco 0013 will deliver (in a 1 inch line) about 8 to 10 GPM in your system
a bell and gosset PL36 had a delivery rate of near 17 GPM (but i havn't had time to do the pipe size calculation yet)

your original pumps chart says it will deliver 5 GPM at 8 feet of head...you are way beyond this and i don't beliieve your system willever work trouble free with out a new larger pump

also my calculations are without knowing the pressure on each side of the pump so i lean to the larger pumps ther are many pumps within the "pump curve" of your system, look for one with a flatter curve.

remember iam no pump guru (as i think you should find and give him the details of your system. But i am a do it yourselfer and would give it a go
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada
Pages: 1 [2]