Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: wiring  (Read 2888 times)

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
wiring
« on: March 07, 2010, 08:47:59 PM »

I have no idea how to hook up the electrical for my OWB.  I know I need a 2nd thermostat and that's about it.  My transformer on my oil burner is 40A.  I'll have one zone controlled by a taco ball zone valve and a circulator pump always running.  I have no idea what I need to buy!

rosewood

• View Profile
Re: wiring
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:51:58 PM »

well what type of heat exchanger are you useing? and what type of heating system do you currently have?

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »

I have a very old oil burner forced air system and I'm using a 22x22 heat exchanger in my plenum

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 03:38:16 PM »

most ol oil furnaces have some sort of heat sensor in the plenum as the blower does not come on until the plenum is around 140 degrees (at least that is the way i remember them)  you may be able to wire a thermostat in to that? you may be able to make it bypass the thermosat in the plenum for your OWB and still have it work like normal for your indoor furnace. Just throwing some ideas out there..the reality of it is ...I don't really have a clue i am almost certain there will be a proven answer come forth yet for you paintballs

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 06:31:14 PM »

i would go to central boilers site and take a look. i know it shows how to wire t-stat for 3-way zone valve and use plenum fan.   .  t hey have a nice selection  of diagrams  .               

dirtryder

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 07:03:09 AM »

I'll tell you how I did mine.....2 Propane forced hot air systems...
I left my original wiring alone on my heater "except" I moved the "heat" fan wire to the "med low" setting. My fan has 4 speeds (terminals)  high, med, med-low and low. I left my A/C wire on "high" fan and moved my propane thermo heat fan wire to med-low.  I installed a "new" (additional)  thermostat on my wall right next to the original and  wired it to existing 24 volt transformer. I then installed an additional fan relay for that thermo and wired it in to the "med" setting of fan. Now, my circ pump from OWB runs 24/7 so I always have a hot HX in my heater. I have the new (OWB) thermo set @ 75 degrees.....I know..... but 3 females in the house like heat ::).....and my original thermo for the propane set @ 60 degrees. This way, when heat is called for, only the fan turns on. If for some reason I have no heat from the OWB, when my house gets down to 60, the propane works like normal. This gives me auto back-up heat. I have my HX in my return after the filter and before the fan and has been working flawlessly. My fan actually "sucks" the air through the HX not pushing it through. Don't really know if it matters, have "heard" that it may shorten the life of the fan but that was my easier way to install and I also "heard" that if your HX is "after" your A-Coil with no circulation you could "freeze" the water in it........don't know, we'll see.....so far so good . Now, for 1 extra step ;D  I wired the OWB fan relay (N/O side) off of my propane fan relay (N/C side) so that if my OWB fan is on calling for heat and my house reaches 60.......when the propane fan comes on it "opens" the connection to the OWB relay and shuts it off. In other words, only one thermo can run my fan at a time.
Might sound complicated but it really is basic wiring and if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself any heater person could easily do it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:04:53 AM by dirtryder »