Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: cleaning ash box  (Read 12264 times)

Sluggo

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: 20,000e
    • View Profile
Re: cleaning ash box
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 03:19:58 PM »

So countryboyjohn,what did they do to the new e models if they aren't blowing air over the top?  Or are they still blowing over the top in a different manner?
Stihl 441
Stihl 660
Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Bobcat T190
Grapple
Farmi 501 Winch
2015 3500 Crew Cab HIGH COUNTRY Duramax

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 04:21:11 PM »

The air box and stuff on the back is all different now, internal flap, faster fan, a few different things.   But no top draft.  But the bottom draft is improved and working well

For you guys with the 10e, call ur dealer and get your kits
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

kybaseball

• OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 05:42:40 PM »

I did talk to Dave about the kit but at the time him and heatmaster wasn't working together. I even called and talked with Wallie at Heatmaster and he said they would get it worked out. So that is why i was asking what they did to bring it back?

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 06:29:10 PM »

They don't have top draft now

But dave is still servicing heatmaster stoves, its not a problem to have it fixed, I havent done onr personally but yoder can tell you what it entails

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

kybaseball

• OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 06:44:03 PM »

I was asking Youder what they told him they would do? What are they sending him to do his.

Marktk

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: Mf5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 10:00:19 PM »

so if i have a heatmaster 5000  first year.  Its awsome by the way love the heat at -30 chill right now and house at 72   anyway  am i hearing i should not be removing ash to often?  let it fill up?

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 10:02:53 PM »

I like to see coal bed 4-5 inches deep, I take ashes out of pan once every 10-12 days or so
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2014, 06:25:36 AM »

Well, I guess this is as good as a place as any to tell on myself.  Maybe since I post in a long thread in the Heatmaster room, not many of the other guys will see it.   :bash: Anyway, one critical component to cleaning the ash pan is raking the coals.  I learned this the hard way, but there is a difference between leveling the coals and raking the coals.  When you simply level the coals without raking them, a crust can form down in the coal bed with the fine ash and the smaller pieces of charcoal.  This will choke off your air supply from below.  I thought I had a fan problem as I would have smoke after 6 or 8 hours of burning, when there clearly shouldn't be after just a cycle or two.  And the smoke coming out was very lethargic or anemic.  I (and others based on my own descriptions of the symptoms) thought the fan was acting up.  After my wife called me at 1 in the afternoon and said the water temp was 114, I thought the fan finally had died.  I rushed home, pushed the charred wood aside and plunged my rake into the coal bed.  When I did, I noticed this very crusty layer of charcoal/ash.  I busted up the crust, shook the crap out of the grates, emptied the ash pan (which had just been emptied the day before) leveled the coals, replaced the wood, and PRESTO, she fired up like a new stove! 

I think my problem was combined with going too long between emptying the ash pan and not raking the coals deep enough.  Scott's 10-12 days is about spot on.  I went 3 or 4 weeks one time to experiment, and I think that piled up the fine ash too much.  I started emptying more often after that experiment, but I didn't clean out the grates good enough and that crust formed.  So, when you refill, plunge your rake down to the grates and break everything up.  The learning curve strikes again!!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 06:44:55 AM »

The new design is a tube up the back of the firebox that gets air to the top of the firebox. All the air comes into the back or the ashpan and then some is diverted up. The new 4000's and 6000's have this already, the old 10,000's can be retrofitted.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Sluggo

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: 20,000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2014, 03:44:28 PM »

Seems to be a lot of different thoughts on the ash box.  Try them all and see what works best for you.  I have tried about everything and find that several quick light shakes every night works best for me.  Shake hard and quick but only about half inch shakes,any more and valuable coals will be lost,any less and a crust will form not allowing air thru the grates.  I've been having good luck with this and hope it helps.  Before doing this I had a lot of dull fires and the stove would fight for hours to get up to temp.  Now the recovery time is a couple minutes!
Stihl 441
Stihl 660
Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Bobcat T190
Grapple
Farmi 501 Winch
2015 3500 Crew Cab HIGH COUNTRY Duramax

harley

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »

Im confused do you need a draft across the top of the fire and from the bottom both to get good burns? So if you only have a forced draft  across the top your burn isn't as good. 

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 05:22:24 PM »

Mr. Harley, I'd say the air under the fire is best. Both is second best and only over the fire is least desirable. This is assuming you are using a conventional stove. The air under the fire pushes the heat from the coals into your new firewood and keeps it going better. Air only over the fire seems like pushing a rope.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

harley

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 06:08:07 PM »

pushing a rope, that's funny thanks

Boydz

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 10,000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 11:15:44 PM »

I called HM direct last winter and got my retrofit kit for the top air draft. I waited until a nice warmer day towards the end of last heating season and installed it.
Its roughly a 2.5" square steel tube that has 90deg ends on it in opposite directions (one at the top and one at the bottom)
I had to cut a square hole with a cutoff wheel and jigsaw into the bottom of my plate at the rear of the boiler on the inside to mount it. As in understand it, some units have a plate you can remove and bolt it in, some do not. Mine was kind of a pain, but only took a couple hours to install. It basically drops this tube into the airstream in the ashpan area and directs a portion of the forced air to the top side about 16" up into the firebox.
I will say it does make a difference. I can visually see it working. That heated air instantly ignites the smoke on the top side and looks like a blow torch.
I think its worth the time it takes to install it. Ive seen less smoke than before.
The issue still remains with these units that you just don't get enough oxygen to burn all the smoke on the first cycle to make it super efficient. Which is why when you open the door it REALLY take off good and smokes way less then when the door is shut. Wish we could come up with a way to control this based on particulate matter or something.

Long story short - Get the Topside air kit !!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
HeatMaster 10,000E

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2014, 06:51:06 AM »

Good info Ryan!  Scott, I think I have that plate that he's talking about.  Can I retrofit my stove?  If so, how do I get a kit?  I was thinking that the upper air chamber actually went through the back of the stove.  After seeing Ryan's pictures in the other thread about cleaning the air chamber, it looks more like a parascope that grabs air from the main channel and pipes it above the fire. 

Let me know Scott!  Thanks!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4