Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How much wood do you burn?  (Read 9606 times)

mikect05

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
How much wood do you burn?
« on: March 21, 2014, 06:54:12 AM »

Hi, we are looking to buy our first OWB.  We have been looking at the the EPA recommended high efficiency model.  However after reading these forums I think I am leaning to a HM E series. 

I have a couple questions.  Does anybody recommend oversizing the wood burner for longer burn times?
We have  2700sq ft of living space to heat, and would like to heat my 2 car garage just to 40 degrees or so, unless working in there. 
We are in CT and like our house at 70 degrees.

I was thinking the 5000e would be good, or would it be better to oversize and get the 10000e?

Also how much wood do people usually burn.  People I talk to are all over the board with this one, some say 5 cord, some say 10-15.  If it is closer to the second number than the work involved and the cost just doesn't add up for me to get a OWB. 

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
Re: How much wood do you burn?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 08:09:17 AM »

Welcome to the forum Mr. Mikect05.  Lot's of good info on here. 

1. Oversizing:  You don't want to oversize to get longer burns.  Your best efficiency comes from a property sized stove to fit your needs.  Bigger is better than smaller, but oversized is not better than properly sized.  I think a 5,000E would be a good fit for your situation.  I am assuming you have decent insulation for your home and will want to heat your domestic water. 

2.  Wood usage:  There is a reason you have found wood usages all over the map.  It's because wood usage is dependent on a slew of variables.  Square footage, insulation levels, winter ferocity, mode of heating (forced air, oil burner, radiant flood, baseboard, etc.) region or climate and most importantly is the wood type and moisture content.  Without this knowledge, 5-15 cords is about as close as you'll get. 

Feel free to answer those parameters and you'll get some responses that will help you get close. 

Happy reading!  Hope you find a stove that works for you.  I love my Heatmaster!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 08:16:38 AM »

If your home is properly insulated and your considering the e series the 5000e would be a great fit.  Well, even it would be oversized a bit, but not in a bad way,  Def don't need the 10e

With that being said, wood usage varies greatly by type and how well its taken care of...  my wood shed is 16 ft long and I'm heating 2200 sq ft, so far this winter  I have burned 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 rows of wood 16 ft long and probably average length of 22 inches.  My wood is properly seasoned under a covered she'd with air allowed to pass through easily.

The e series is a great way to get more efficiency than a regular outdoor wood boiler without getting into the higher priced units, these are more user friendly too.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 09:06:03 AM »

Another thought, some folks do not differentiate between a full cord and face cord.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:01:05 AM by Crow »

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 09:08:39 AM »

Mike I would like to be a datapoint  ^-^  - I run a CB eClassic 2400

I have successfully burned thru 20 pulp wood cord - aka 2 semi loads of mixed wood (6 cords - junk basswood/popular, remainder Oak,maple, pine,...)
  Before your eyes fall out of your head :o, I am heating close to 8k TOTAL SF:
                  Newly constructed 2500sf house (in-slab & underfloor radiant) and 2 stall garage
                  Detached garage 4000sf (in-slab)

I also live in MN - nearly set a record for days below zero (inside of top 5, in recorded history) and snowfall was above average. 

P.S. The day before spring - we got 8" of that stupid WHITE stuff

** Will let you know next spring what my wood consumption is, hopefully less cause otherwise I might need to invest/build a cheapo wood processor

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 09:12:01 AM »

Mr. Crow, not trying to sound like I'm picking a fight.  It's just the engineer in me.  A U.S. Cord is the only recognized unit of measure of wood volume by U.S. Weights and Measures.  It is defined as we all know it, 4x4x8 or 128 cubic feet of well stacked wood.  A face cord varies from region to state to each individual person you ask.  I fail to understand why people don't just use fractions of a cord.  For example, you reference a face cord or a rick.  Just say 1/3 of a cord.  Or half a cord.  A cord is always a cord.  A rick or a face cord is whatever someone defines it as. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 10:58:53 AM »

CBJ, I totally agree with your post. :thumbup:  (I should have proof read my post) It's just that I have read on this very forum some confusing one with the other and wanted Mikect05 to have that to think about. Would not want him to pass on an OWB based on wrong info.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:02:22 AM by Crow »

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 11:27:33 AM »

Mr. Crow, not trying to sound like I'm picking a fight.  It's just the engineer in me.  A U.S. Cord is the only recognized unit of measure of wood volume by U.S. Weights and Measures.  It is defined as we all know it, 4x4x8 or 128 cubic feet of well stacked wood.  A face cord varies from region to state to each individual person you ask.  I fail to understand why people don't just use fractions of a cord.  For example, you reference a face cord or a rick.  Just say 1/3 of a cord.  Or half a cord.  A cord is always a cord.  A rick or a face cord is whatever someone defines it as.

:post:   :thumbup:
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

d conover

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 01:01:51 PM »

I have cut and burned wood for over 40 years. And never "locally" heard of wood referred to by a cord.  It was always a rank or a rick. Which was defined as 4'x?'x 8'

I know the only legal measure of wood is a cord, and I know it is 4x4x8.

Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 01:54:39 PM »

A cord Is only real way to measure

When u measure a rick or something else it'd hard to have a set amount

Obviously it would vary greatly.

I had 3.5 rows 16 ft long and 6 ft high, not time to do the math but someone feel free

Wood Avg length was 22 in
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 02:50:16 PM »

4.8 cords if my math is right.

sceptre74

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 03:35:42 PM »

To be honest, I never heard of a rick or any other term until I came to this forum. I always knew a cord as 4 x 4 x 8

TM88

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 5000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 04:24:36 PM »

Mikect05 I'm running a 5000E with 3600 sqft and having no problem heating it to 72* all winter and the wife cheats at bath time and turns it up to 73.
I would have to say our house is fair on insulation because our windows are terrible vary drafty. I would have to say I'm at 8 to 9 cord with the winter we had this year, was around 7 last season compared to the 13 to 15 cord our fireplace insert took to heat the house for a winter. So as you can see BIG difference. Had the 5000E for 2 season now and love it, also heat our hot water and the 2 to 3 sticks it takes during the summer I heat year around with it for my water. Haven't used a drop of propane since Sept. of 2012.  :)

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »

:post: Great info! Good post!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 06:02:35 PM »

4.8 cords if my math is right.

I would guess that's a close amount...  I appreciate it

That was with a heat master 6000E, will eventually be called the 325g

Considering running the new g200 next year
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697
Pages: [1] 2