Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rope Seal  (Read 2970 times)

Ched Bull

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: mf 5000
    • View Profile
Rope Seal
« on: December 15, 2014, 09:37:22 AM »

I have a MF 5000, and it has been very warm for this time of year in northern Missouri. My Question is, my rope seal pulled out of my fill door from sticky creosote around the opening, stove was new this summer what do I need to do, replace the whole seal or try to use some kind of glue to stick it back in the grove that the seal sets in, if so what product do I use. So far I have been shoving it back in the grove but it wont stay cause every time I open the door the seal comes out of the bottom of the door.    THANKS FOR HELPING.    :bash:   
Stihl 261c, Home made 36 inch long 27 ton horazontal log splitter, John Deer 2520, 2004 Chevy Four Door Duramax 70,000 miles, Kirksville Mo.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Rope Seal
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 09:59:23 AM »

A good bead of high temp silicone behind the gasket should hold it in place, clean the door jamb and gasket surface, then adjust the door so creosote does not form there anymore.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Ched Bull

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: mf 5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 01:14:56 PM »

Thanks Slim, I had the door adjusted tight because I was getting a little water leakage around the bottom of it.My temps are 180 for high and 170 for low.    8)
Stihl 261c, Home made 36 inch long 27 ton horazontal log splitter, John Deer 2520, 2004 Chevy Four Door Duramax 70,000 miles, Kirksville Mo.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 08:55:26 PM »

Yep just some high temp silicone and you will be as good as new. Why not call the dealer and make him come do it? If its a new stove they should fix you up at no charge I would think.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 03:34:22 AM »

I'm not sure I would go there, perhaps asking him to send you some high temp caulking, but demanding he come over and do it costs him money and time, it's a five minute job, working with the dealer would be a better choice in my opinion, let's face it, he didn't put the gasket in to begin with, I think I would also call the manufacturer or manufacturers rep to alert them of the problem, it has been a very busy year for all of us in the industry and sometimes things get overlooked, perhaps they are not aware of the issue and your call may fix the issue for other customers. The good companies do not look at those calls as a PITA but instead want to solve any issues before they get out of hand, from what I have seen on here, Heatmaster sure seems like one of those good companies to me!

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 06:07:21 AM »

I had a MF4000 this year that had the same problem. Guy called me and explained the situation. I told him I would stop in the next time I was in the area. Several days later I stopped by and in 10 minutes I was back on the road. If a dealer installed it I suspect they wouldn't have an issue fixing it so long as it doesn't require a special trip. I look at it as the best advertising $$$$ a guy can spend because you know the owner will tell all his buddies about the dealer that came right out and addressed his issue.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 06:27:08 AM »

Your attitude Yoder is exactly why you should not leave the industry, we NEED people like you !!!!!
I agree wholeheartedly in your approach but sometimes it is not possible to get to the site in a timely fashion and the customer needs the fix ASAP, simply helping by shipping the product at no charge and following up on how to do it makes for a great relationship.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 07:07:08 AM »

I wish things were different but I'm leaving at the end of this month. Who knows what the future holds, maybe another opportunity will come along and I can reenter the wood burning field.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

userdk

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnaces - Pineview Woodstoves
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 09:34:38 PM »

By the way, Menards handles the silicone.