Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: New to site-Buying a Cl 5036  (Read 20528 times)

Ridgekid

Re: New to site-Buying a Cl 5036
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2011, 07:11:05 AM »

Are you allowed to say 4 letter words on this site? lol (SNOW) For petes sake it's the end of April! Hope they get you hooked up soon. Looks like you will get the chance to use yours for a little while anyway.

I'm not putting in a sidearm. Went with a 20 plate HX. Unfortunately it did not arrive Friday and is sitting 40 miles away at UPS terminal until Monday. Dealer ordered this Wed from a place in Wisconsin.

I went to the dealer and as promised, he provided (under warranty) replacement clamps, elbows, and Central pex so I could route the piping in the basement the way we had agreed on when he scoped the job. I also purchased more fittings, and central pex for the DHWX install.

What I did get done was cut in the two domestic water valves for when the 20 plate gets here. Silly me, cut the pipe for the HOT water line and was 30% into the install when I realized my mistake.  :bash:  I piped the orginal valve back in and had a leak. It was the outlet threads. CPVC fitting into a brass valve. 18 years old. So I pulled it out again and replaced the valve.

Then I went to work on installing the bypass line and two supply lines to the COLD water pipes for the forthcoming HX. I stopped at the HX valves not knowing exactly where I was going to install the exchanger or the proper distance between the inlet and outlet ports. I'm going to use Central pex from the valve to the HX.

Fire is almost out. Water is down to 165F. I'm going to shut off the OWB, close the valves and get part of my re-routing done today. I'll leave it off (since we are getting warm weather) until I get the DHX installed. I don't think I want to leave the HX's dry all summer, so I'll have to get the boiler started one time to get the water circulating past the thermo valve. Once she's cold again, I fill the boiler to the top to kept the oxygen out.

Ridgekid

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2011, 02:38:33 PM »

I accomplished what I set out to do today. What a pain in the ***. That stuff don't bend worth a crap and every connection I broke loose needed to be cut off (carefully) with a gremal.

Do here's what I did: (Wish I had 4 more elbows-I would of kicked the bottom back towards the wall and went straight up)
http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=37

And this is the way the Dealer did it:

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=36

Just have to finsih four connections when the DHWX arrives.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:17:33 PM by Ridgekid »

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2011, 03:19:20 PM »

Don't you need that wire in conduit running up that block wall?
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Ridgekid

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2011, 05:19:05 PM »

Yoder- Not a requirement. In fact outlets run the same way as long as they are 18" from the floor (Remember this is in the basement)

BTW- I lost less than 2 gallons from my system doing this mod.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:28:27 PM by Ridgekid »

MTJAG

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2011, 07:06:47 PM »

Your routing job looks a lot better than the dealer's.  Most people that work in basements just think they can  throw stuff around anywhere.  At least that has been my experience.  I suppose they think that you are not living there, so just use all the space you want to waste.

"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

Ridgekid

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2011, 05:54:41 AM »

Your probably right about the installation in a basement. As previously noted, we plan on finishing the basement in the near future. The dealer knew this. Total lack of communication between Salesman and installer.

We plan to drywall the ceiling to within two joints of this end of the basement. Here I will use a suspended cieling. For the vertical pipe (with the thermo valve) I was planning a vented box. A vent on the bottom and top. The thermo valve gets hot, might as well vent that heat into the space.

Just waiting for my 20 plate to show up. It's going to be in the 70's the next few days so it will be the end of the week before I fire up for the test run, which includes looking for leaks.

plumb bob

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: CL 5036
  • still green
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2011, 12:31:38 PM »

Hi all.
I too just purchased a 5036 and am waiting for delivery. A buddy of mine has an aqua-therm so that is what pushed me into the owb market, that and 2.09 a gallon for propane.
This unit will be installed in northern Wisconsin, and will be feeding a 1600 sq. ft. home and a new attached garage addition 760 sq ft with 600 finished above.

This is a great site and have enjoyed the posts.

Ridgekid

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2011, 01:22:36 PM »

Guess you found me! I just posted something on your post. Not sure if it will help you make a decision or gave you another way to heat up the additional space. Wish you best of luck in what ever you decide.

Welcome to the club!

MTJAG

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2011, 08:35:46 PM »

Hi all.
I too just purchased a 5036 and am waiting for delivery. A buddy of mine has an aqua-therm so that is what pushed me into the owb market, that and 2.09 a gallon for propane.
This unit will be installed in northern Wisconsin, and will be feeding a 1600 sq. ft. home and a new attached garage addition 760 sq ft with 600 finished above.

This is a great site and have enjoyed the posts.

I just took delivery of my 5036 today.  Still not hooked up, but is in place.  Will be hooked up on Wednesday.  I posted pictures on my gallery today if you care to see.  I purchased a baffle/restrictor with mine and there are pictures on the site for that as well.   The baffle is just inserted in the pipe and is a reducer from 8" to 4".  According to my dealer, another dealer has put them in the last 28 or so deliveries of classics and with the exception of one customer with a 6058, all have reported longer burns, less wood consumption.  The downside is the also report more smoke when they open the door.

Ridgekid

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2011, 06:06:23 AM »

Pitcures look great. Bet you can't wait to fire it up! 

My sons 4030 has the same restrictor T. (Standard with 4030's). I've been too busy to with other projects to see how his is operating. I doubt he's burning alot of wood right now. Our daytime temps have been over 70F. 

MTJAG

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2011, 09:18:49 PM »

Yes, I am.  I worked on it a bit today, just putting the Alpha pump on and running the electric lines to the house, but tomorrow we may get it finished.  It is still freezing here...temp currently at 32 degrees.
More later.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]