Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Any Alaskans (or NDans, MNans, other northerners) with Central boiler feedback?  (Read 6073 times)

yamanoborisan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

Howdy,
I live in South Central Alaska where the temps are relatively mild due to the buffering
effects of the ocean; we rarely get below -25F where I live and usually no more than
a couple weeks of -20F each winter.  Averages of 0 to 20F much more common in our
winters here.

I'm considering a Central outdoor boiler, but wanted to know if anyone had any "long-term"
(or even short-term) experience with these systems in climates similar to or colder than
mine?

Thanks in advance for any input

MTJAG

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile

Sounds like our winters are pretty close.  We typically have one week that our weather drops down to about 30 below, but much of the winter night time temps are between 0 and 20 degrees.  Daytime temps vary significantly since we are high elevation (8600') and the sun is very intense at this elevation.  Probably the most important difference in our climate is that we are extremely low humidity and you are probably not.
I have just ordered a CB5036 and it should be installed in about a week or so.  I do have a friend that has a classic Central Boiler and he absolutely loves his.  He heats multiple buildings solely by firewood through this unit.  He claims it is the best investment he ever made. 
When I get my unit installed, I will be happy to give you more information.
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

yamanoborisan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

Thanks, MTJAG.  Look forward to gleaning from your experience.
I'm guessing somewhere in the San Luis Valley? 

Scratch

• OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks

I live in middle Wisconsin, on the MN border.  Our winters average 0-20 degrees mostly I'd say.  I have a CB 6048 and have had it for 3 or 4 seasons.  My brother lives next door to me and has had his 6048 for about 12-15 years or so.  We both burn about the same amount of wood and heat about the same amount of space.  I live in a Dome home so it might be hard to compare, but he lives in a normal home, 2 story with basement, also heating his 24x24 garage and a 40X20 detached shop.  He burns mostly dead fallen trees, all kinds, no splitting.  Also burns thin rips from a local millworking shop.  He never uses any addititives in the water, burns most of his garbage, and hasn't had any problems with his stove. 

I use additives, but no garbage.  I tried to split all my wood this year, but it was only cut one season so it didn't get very dried.   No problems with my stove either.  We're both very happy with our units.  I personally like the "no fan" thing, and don't want to add it to mine.  It burns good for me.  I figured I throw in about 10 square feet of split wood, twice a day.  6am and 6pm.  If I had to guess as far as wood usage... I'd say I burned about 10-12 cords this season.  I'm sure he's about the same.

Hope that helps you out.
Hudson, WI

MTJAG

• View Profile

Thanks, MTJAG.  Look forward to gleaning from your experience.
I'm guessing somewhere in the San Luis Valley?

Actually in the Wet Mountain Valley east of the San Luis Valley and Great Sand Dunes across the Sangre de Cristo Mountain range.  The Wet Mountain Valley lies between the Sangres to the west and the Wet Mountains to the east.  This is one of the unspoiled areas of Colorado. Nothing here but ranching and haying for commerce.  It is a high mountain valley (the floor is about 8000' elevation) and somewhat arid.  Most of our moisture comes in the form of snow.  The Sangres have several 14,000' peaks and the Wets are about 12,000' peaks.   Lots of USFS and BLM land from which to cut standing dead timber. 

yamanoborisan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

My wife used to live in Westcliffe, and I left some flesh on the Crestones, Blanca, etc.
back in the '90s.  Glad to hear it's still unspoiled!

MTJAG

• View Profile

Isn't that a coincidence?  I live about 10 miles south of Westcliffe directly accross from Humbolt, Crestone Needles and Brokenhand Peak. 
I can appreciate the part of leaving "lots of flesh" on those rocks.

Unfortunately, I still have nothing to report on Central Boiler.  However, it sounds like CB is at least one of the best units out there primarily due to their service.  From what I can gather, much of that is related to the dealer you select.  When it comes to a standard classic boiler as opposed to the new gasification units, most of them perform pretty well.
Are you in an area that allows you to use the standard boilers and not the new Phase II epa units?

yamanoborisan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

small world!  To my knowledge there aren't any restrictions on outdoor boilers where I live,
but I'll have to check into that.  I'm inferring from your statement about the reliability of
the classics that the "gasification" units aren't as reliable?  I know nothing about these
devices, just starting my research...

NewToIt

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: XL (14,000 sq. ft.)
    • View Profile

Hi.

Don't have first hand experience with CB units, but I know from researching that CB has been having a boat-load of problems with their gasification unit (e classic 2300).... from faulty fusion chambers.... to leaks....  to air holes getting plugged, etc.  See:  http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/board,80.0.html   for some people's first hand experience with them.

I believe that their newer(e classic 2400) model has a lot of these problems resolved.

As far as the old school boilers are concerned, I have heard good things about them.
Not so "NewToIt" anymore..... up and running for 3 yrs. now!!

Ridgekid

I heard the same thing about the EClassics. In addition Pennsylvania has changed thier EPA standards to only allow the EClassics after May 31, 2011. Thats why I hurried up and bought a Classic!  (It's only three days old but I love it!)