Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Conversion chart for 20 plate heat exchanger  (Read 4983 times)

Ridgekid

Conversion chart for 20 plate heat exchanger
« on: April 26, 2011, 05:53:16 AM »

Is there a chart or conversion rate to figure out what 185F OWB temp should be heating 52F well water? Just curious.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Conversion chart for 20 plate heat exchanger
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 07:55:42 AM »

Depends on flow rate. Just running a faucet will probably have 180 degree water coming out.

Ridgekid

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:23:45 AM »

I'm sure there's alot of factors to determine this. One being what the temp of the water is inside the HWH. On my trial run last night we did two loads of laundry and took two showers. (HWH was off). I would guess this was a decent heat load for the exchanger.

Afterwards I checked the temp of the water and it was 130F. Granted my OWB water temp was only 175F (Did not want to build a full fire with todays highs in the 80's. )

So based on this I would assume my 52F well water would be 140F at 185F OWB water temp? (just guessing here)

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »

The water going into the tank will always be hotter than what is coming out. It looses some temperature as it sits there and when you run some hot water it heats it back up some. The more hot water you use the hotter it will get.
This is assuming you are getting enough supply from the boiler to keep up.
Try putting your temperature probe on the boiler output from the plate and see how much temperature drop you get. You could also do it on the line between the plate and the water heater.

If you are only getting 145 degree water out of the plate then you likely have some air trapped in the plate.

Ridgekid

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:01:12 PM »

Maybe it's time to talk to you about multiple Temp senors. I have semi-Permanently mounted the redi chek to the inlet side of my furnace HX so I didn't have to run out to the OWB to see the water temp.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »

You should be able to just hang onto the pipes and get a pretty good idea of the temperatures.
The pipe going into the water heater should be hotter than the out when the water is running. I only have a 10 plate and the pipe to the water heater is way too hot to hang onto if just a faucet is running. If a bathtub or shower is running it drops down some but still hotter than the outlet of the water heater. I would think since you have a 20 plate it would keep up to a pretty good load.

If you are not losing any temperature in your DHW then I wouldn't worry about it. If you get it hotter you might need to let some cold bypass the plate to keep it from getting too hot or turn the temperature down on your boiler.