Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Refubished CB 5036  (Read 4831 times)

Tony-S

• View Profile
Refubished CB 5036
« on: April 29, 2011, 08:14:45 AM »

Our local dealer has 2 refubished 5036 units they are 15 years old. Apparently they send these units back to the factory and everything but the outer waterjacket gets replaced and they will not refurbish them if the outer water jacket isnt good. They want $3,600 and they come with a 3 year warantee.  Im trying to figure out if it's worth it or if I should just buy a new one. I know everything wears out at some point but is it possible the 15 year old water jacket in these units will last as long as the newly installed firebox? Any thoughts would be greatly appreicated.

Ridgekid

Re: Refubished CB 5036
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 09:21:35 AM »

Thats a hard call. As much as I love our 5036 I don't think I would buy a 15 year unit (with only a 3 yr warranty) without knowing the history of the unit. My fear would be how many times the unit was overheated and/or was the water treatment maintained.

Then on the otherhand, if the firebox was replaced, CB would not put the unit back on he market unless they feel comfortable about the condition of the inside of the water box. (lets hope so anyway).

$3600 for 3 year warranty
$6100 for a 25 year warranty

:bash: Good Luck!

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Refubished CB 5036
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 07:38:51 PM »

Then on the otherhand, if the firebox was replaced, CB would not put the unit back on he market unless they feel comfortable about the condition of the inside of the water box. (lets hope so anyway).

$3600 for 3 year warranty
$6100 for a 25 year warranty

:bash: Good Luck!
i guess the reason(one of them) i am not a business man is the math i see here. they replace EVERYTHING but the water jacket? thatleads me to believe they value the water jacket (which is usually the thinnest part of the boiler) at 2100 bucks?
and this figuring is with no trade counted in. there must be a real big markup in a new stove. lets say a guy bought a new stove valued at 6100 and he got 1000 for a trade in. that means the dealer has 1000 into the old furnace before he retorfits it. so that means he can buy everything (plus labor) except the firebox for under 2600 (and that would be the break even price) so if he wants to make a little profit that means he can replace all the parts on this boiler (except the firebox) for even less. sounds to me like "retrofit" = 1 can of paint.  :-\  is there a real...sane ..explanation out there? i know i must be seeing this wrong
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada