Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: My personel report of the CB 5036  (Read 8310 times)

Ridgekid

My personel report of the CB 5036
« on: May 02, 2011, 11:27:33 AM »

I have had the opportunity to run my unit for 5 days straight. I've been watching it as I would have watched a small child playing in the backyard. Outside temps have not been to the standards of "winter", yet it has been cool enough to justify operation. Only using the front half of the available 74 sq ft, I have got 24 hour burn times. In the morning when I turn up the thermostat it generally generates a burn at the OWB. In less than 30 minutes the water is back up to 185F and the damper is closed again.

I read alot about the issue of the classics smoking. Well I'm here to tell you when it's in operation it smokes less than a chimney on a house. When the water gets up to 185F and the damper closes, there is only a whisper of smoke that evaporates within 4' of the unit. If it is a long time between the burn times, I would think it's out of wood if it wasn't for the fact my remote temp sensor tells me the water is still between 175-185F.

I guess what I'm trying to say is smoking really depends on what you burn in it. Well seasoned wood (which I use) must be the key to how much it smokes.

In short, I feel this was a very good investment for us. Adding the DHWX after the intial install from our dealer was a bonus. My payback won't be as quick as those of you that use gas or heating oil to heat your homes, but the convienance of not hauling the firewood into our home to stock an indoor woodburner is worth it, as now we can keep our home cleaner, not having to stock the fire every 4-6 hours.

One additional note: I'm located at 2000 ft on top of a ridge and my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. Check with CB about your installation site. You may require additional chimney sections.

MTJAG

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
Re: My personel report of the CB 5036
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 02:56:55 PM »

:post:  Good to know that in moderate temperatures, you can get a 24hr burn.   Like you, I am amazed at how little smoke is coming out until heat demand.  Even with heat demand, mine 5036 smokes less than a fireplace.  My nearest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away, so I am not expecting to get any bad reports.  Like you, I am amazed at how simple this unit is yet how functional it is.

My experience in the past five days with my new unit, of which three days have been cold with a low of 15 degrees and highs of 35 degrees, is that I mostly filled it up with limbs 4" or less in diameter twice a day.  I also had the damper/restrictor in place, which I have removed today to see if smoke out of the door and creosote is lessened with it out.
I just need to know when to pull out the ashes.  Looks like I have about 10 gallons of ashes at present.  Any particular point on doing that?
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

Ridgekid

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 06:40:20 PM »

Make sure you stir the ashes everyday. Here's how I do it:

1. Move all the unburned pieces and hot coals to the back.
2. Using a 90 degree pitchfork, move the remaining ashes around.
3. Pull the hot ambers and unburnt wood back towards the front.

The reason for doing this is to avoid the ashes sitting in one spot whereas they can start eating into your boiler.

Cleaning Ashes:
According to the manual, when the ashes are deep enough they are level to the door opening, clean them out. I would use the above procedure to do the same task. This way I would still have hot ashes/cinders to get the fire going again.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 03:55:23 PM »

[quote author=cooch link=topic=961.msg6961#msg6961 date=1304442978

I'm lucky enough to know a local who mills lumber and gives me the scrap. He is grateful to be rid of it and I am very thankfull whenever he drives up and dumps another load of free fuel.
[/quote]

now that is something to be jealous of :)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Ridgekid

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 02:26:45 PM »

Cooch- IS that free wood "slab"? Nothing wrong with it, but it burns really quick. When I had a woodburner I quit buying it becuase of that.

As of today I have 6 cords of wood split and stacked. Thats from dropping 4 trees + 1 mother nature took down a few weeks ago. Oh, I also had two cords left from last year. (just in case someone was trying to calculate that)

I still didn't get my triaxle load yet but will try to pressure him for a NLT Thursday delivery. I have a three day weekend coming up and want to get my "wood chores"out of the way so I can get the boat out and start enjoying summer.

Ridgekid

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 05:25:38 PM »

Got my Triaxle load on April 19th, as requested.  It was all cut, split and stacked by the 22nd. Wife helped the most. I needed her there to determine what size logs she could handle if she had to stock the OWB. They are all 18" long.

I have 13 cords stacked ready to burn. Hope I don't use more than 8. I know I needed some excercise, but next time I won't push as hard. Don't get me wrong I'll do it again (the triaxle load) but a little earlier in the year. It was 80F on the 21st. Too hot to prepare firewood.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 07:34:05 PM »

Got my Triaxle load on April 19th, as requested.  It was all cut, split and stacked by the 22nd. Wife helped the most. I needed her there to determine what size logs she could handle if she had to stock the OWB. They are all 18" long.

I have 13 cords stacked ready to burn. Hope I don't use more than 8. I know I needed some excercise, but next time I won't push as hard. Don't get me wrong I'll do it again (the triaxle load) but a little earlier in the year. It was 80F on the 21st. Too hot to prepare firewood.

My wood is all cut..Just got to split and stack..How much is a triaxle go for in PA?
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Ridgekid

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 05:48:55 AM »

MattyNH- I paid $550

gmviso

• Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 06:45:45 PM »

Cleaning Ashes:
According to the manual, when the ashes are deep enough they are level to the door opening, clean them out. I would use the above procedure to do the same task. This way I would still have hot ashes/cinders to get the fire going again.

Ridgekid, above you state "according to the manual" inferring there is a printed manual available for these? If so, how do I get one?
Central Boiler CL5036

Ridgekid

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »

Well, I guess you have two options.

Try to see if CB will send you one. Call them at 1-800-248-4681. They might ask you for the serial number to confirm you own one. It's on the metal plate on front.

If not I can scan a copy for you in PDF format. It's 51 pages. I'll probably want to do this in 10 page increments. Not sure how big the file would be, but if you PM your personal email adress I could try to send it.

Try option 1 first, if not I'll do my best.

gmviso

• Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »

Thanks, I'll call CB tomorrow.
Central Boiler CL5036

Ridgekid

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 08:19:17 PM »

How did you make out? CB send you a book?

gmviso

• Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 06:07:03 AM »

Local dealer where I bought my thermopex and other supplies (~$3k) was very nice and ordered one for me to be shipped to my house. Thanks for asking.
Central Boiler CL5036