Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is your woodshed filled??  (Read 7839 times)

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
Is your woodshed filled??
« on: September 15, 2009, 07:36:09 PM »

Just wondering where everyone is on having their wood ready for the heating season.  I've worked the past couple weeks, along with my wife and a guy that works for me in my construction business, at getting mine on the ground and cut up.  I want to have 8 cord in the shed before I fire up the stove.  I should have at least 6 cord on the ground and cut up now.  I ordered a new log splitter last week, and will get to splitting as soon as it comes in.  I used 7 cord last year with the unusually cold temps. so I figure 8 this year should be safe.

This year, I have been able to drop mostly dead trees.  Mostly oak, that lightning struck, or bugs killed.  Some quite large in diameter,,, 32" or more.  A bear to handle, but each slice makes quite a few pieces.  I'm anxious to see if dried wood will make much difference than the mostly green wood I used last year.

How is everyone else doing so far???

Mark
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Is your woodshed filled??
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 07:51:28 PM »

mark if you burnt truly green wood last year and truly dry wood this year  a savings of 30 percent is not too much to hope for (in my opinion anyway)

to me dry wood is wood that has been down 1 year or more (under 20 percent moisture)
wet would be anything above that but truly green would still be over 50 percent moisture

i am gonna make a guess here and say even though your wood is dead and standing it is still pretty much wet until split and allowed to dry properly. it will be dryer than green but not near dry

many limbs that have the bark off and be say under 8 inches across maybe considered dry but any of the large limbs and the log with bark on will be far above dry

wood with bark on it does not dry very well
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 08:48:55 PM »

Well you're waaaaaaaay ahead of me... I have maybe a cord ready to burn... I'm slacking big time. :bash:
Hudson, WI

PhinPhan

• OWF Brand: WoodMaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnace Info
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 06:54:19 AM »

I have pretty much all my wood down and at the house, just need to take the time to cut and split it.
Pomeroy, OH
WoodMaster 4400

MarkP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 04:36:13 PM »

I will be picking up a new wood splitter tomorrow evening.  Should have it all split and in the shed in a week or so. 

I've seen the meters for sale that measure moisture content in wood.  Does anyone know if these really work??  Hopefully, once I get the wood in the shed, it will dry out some.  I have the shed floored in pallets, so air can pass through and under the wood.  I just assumed since the trees had been dead for a couple years, that it would be drier than it is.  Bummer,,,,,,

I guess it still has to be better than the wood last year with the green leaves still hanging on.  Our summer has been quite cool, so I can only assume what the winter might be like.  Gotta be prepared for the worst.
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Le Roy, WV

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 06:03:43 AM »

The wood shed has been full all summer and there is a pile of about two cords of odd size pieces that would not stack very well down in the lower drive,that we will use first. We have about 14 cords that are ready to burn.In mid to late Oct. we will start on next seasons supply.
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 06:18:29 PM »

Oh to be just as ready as some.  I always think things will slow down this time of year but with all the weekend things going on and only having one or two evenings during the week I'm once again more behind than I'd like.  But with the new windows, siding, and insulation I should be able to heat my house with a candle or two.  I'll keep you posted..hahaha
Pomeroy, Ohio

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 06:46:28 PM »

i have 21 bush cords cut and stacked indoors and some of that is 4 year old oak most is dead elm
i also still have about 3 cords in the bush that has been there all year. i fear it will be wet but i will stack it inside for next year
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 07:55:50 PM »

I have maybe a cord split and ready to go.  The huge wood pile from the tree cutter I got in the spring is still there ready to go. 

We are building a 40x60 quonset hut right beside my woodburner.  It's ordered and paid for but hasn't shipped yet.  We will be building it as time permits this winter and I already claimed one corner of it for my woodpile.  If the rain holds off we are starting the excavation tomorrow.  Nothing too major-just have to level the ground.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

logwagon

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 09:32:22 PM »

Hey everybody. Some of you guys are moving right along. I feel for you ckbetz I know exactly what you mean, should slow donwn this time of year but instead only speeds up. I am new to having OWB but have firewood as a kid for Dad and now to sell.  So far I have 26 pickup loads sold, split with a maul and gone and about 3 for me, but I don't have furnace hooked up yet anyway.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 06:15:47 AM »

You split almost 30 loads with a maul?  Dear God, remind me never to arm wrestle you.

Mark, did you get your splitter yet?  What kind did you get?  How big is the engine, and how many tons?
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

MarkP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »

I picked it up last week, but haven't found the time to even get started with it.  I got a 22 ton Huskee with a 6.5 hp engine, and a 26" stroke.  I've been covered up with work right now, and now I'm under the weather a bit, so the wood has taken the back burner for now. (back burner - no pun intended)  I hope to get on it this week.  Suppose to have temps in the 40s at night this week.  Will be firing this thing up soon.  Nothing like an OWB!!
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Le Roy, WV

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 07:30:47 PM »

My splitter is a Huskee, too.  I like it a lot.  It's still pretty new but no problems yet.  You'll like it a lot. :thumbup:
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 06:42:11 PM »

I didn't use my splitter once last year.  I was just thinking of changing the oild and hydraulic fluid so I can get it some use this year. 

Logwagon, I never  have enough wood.  I find myself cutting all winter long every year, I never learn.  I just have too many irons in the fire, only not the right fire..hehehe
Pomeroy, Ohio

logwagon

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 09:29:59 AM »

I usally end up cutting all winter to, in the mud and snow.  :bash: Hopefully I have a better headstart this year. There are many morning and eveng I would rather be bowhunting instead of cutting wood. But with bills to pay and kids to feed what are you going to do? At least I enjoy it and not hate it.
Pages: [1] 2