Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: new trench  (Read 6346 times)

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
new trench
« on: October 10, 2010, 05:03:26 PM »

started the new trench todayftp://
 this kind of work is hard on my back

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/billie_boy7/017.jpg
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: new trench
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 06:13:37 PM »

Oh wow that doesn't look like any fun Willie!I sure hope it goes easier for ya.
I take it your going to put in new pipe for your stove?What are you planning on using? :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 07:06:26 PM »

It sure would have been nice if there had been an easier way.Looks like a lot of saw cuts and busten to get the concrete out.

Ron
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 08:04:42 PM »

Oh wow that doesn't look like any fun Willie!I sure hope it goes easier for ya.
I take it your going to put in new pipe for your stove?What are you planning on using? :thumbup:
I'm leaning towards Logstor right now- dealer is close by  (within 10 miles)
I need to cut away about 3 feet of concrete yet in teh wood shed as my old pipes made the turn out of the trench much sharper than  the logstor will. I do have a 12 inch tile under the wood shed floor  so getting the pipe in will be much easier than here at the house. My pipes now run under an addition that my wife added on the house and there is more concrete over them than what i cut out of the garage. you know how it goes..i'll never need to take those pipes out just pour the dam cement! I was able to score the cement saw for free from a rental company through my work and i got a jack hammer for 1 days rent and have it from saturday till tuesday so i been using it pretty steady (for me anyway)  i should finish early tomorrow in the wood shed. then i plan on digging the trench in the garage, busting through the wall and then installing my "pipe sleeve" my trench is only 24 inches deep at teh outside of the garage as i want to stay above the septic tank outlet pipe, do you think that will ok? i will go a little deeper after that.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:12:15 AM »

I've heard of people running the Logstor on the surface of the ground for a winter and not melting the snow on top of it all winter.  I think you'll be OK running it 24" down. 

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:48:02 PM »

jack hammering is done, now for the digging by hand in the garage and chipping hole in basement wall. looks like nights this week are booked!

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/billie_boy7/new%20furnace%20pipe/008.jpg
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 02:49:56 PM »

more pics

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/billie_boy7/new%20furnace%20pipe/007.jpg
out side of wood shed shows large tile under footing

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/billie_boy7/new%20furnace%20pipe/003-1.jpg
this is the finished cut out of the tile to allow for new pipe to bend up and out of floor (hope that is enough room)

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/billie_boy7/new%20furnace%20pipe/002-1.jpg

cement removed down to top of large tile that pipes run in. this was tough jack hammering as the stove itself was in the road and i had to hold the  jack hammer on an angle the hole time
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:53:40 PM by willieG »
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 06:28:56 PM »

holy cow!Man that is a lot of back breaking work.I feel for ya Willie. :thumbup:
I would comment more but I am so tired and can't concentrate to type.
I will check back with ya later.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

TheCrier

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 10:01:03 PM »

Thoughts on renting a stand behind mini hoe? Four hundred bucks and it would be done in a day.....

We got 4" of snow here today...... my lines to the hot tub are only 24" down..... no heat loss, you should be good to go.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 04:59:25 AM »

i have a back hoe attatchment for my tractor for the trench outside. It took only about 3 hours by hand  to dig out the trench in the garage it was all "B" gravel and easy digging. have to insert my 12 inch conduit today (pipe i got from a job for free)   glad to hear other folks have not burried the pipe too deep. I'm not sure how far down my septic pipe really is but i am hoping i don't hit it. i know it is still old clay tile in the area i am digging and it will be a mess if i disturb it.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 05:22:23 PM »

got the conduit pipe in the garage trench today
badkhoe is ready to go but i am going to hold off untill my pipe (that I haven't ordered yet) arrives so i dont have a 250 foot trench opened up and get a big rain storm and have it fill up with water and cave in

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/billie_boy7/new%20furnace%20pipe/005.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/billie_boy7/new%20furnace%20pipe/004.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/billie_boy7/new%20furnace%20pipe/002.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/billie_boy7/new%20furnace%20pipe/001.jpg
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Sawdust

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 07:49:11 PM »

WG, You sure are doing good work, you gotta be young and full of P--- and Vinegar. TWO THUMBS UP TO YA.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 07:59:32 PM »

WG, You sure are doing good work, you gotta be young and full of P--- and Vinegar. TWO THUMBS UP TO YA.
LOL  mid 50's, bad back, but have learned (from my P and V days) that slow and steady gets er done right. I hope to get my underground pipe this weekend and if it don't rain friday i may get my trench dug in...if it is sunny and warms up that is supposed to help make the pipe much moe easy to work with. crossing my fingers for time and good weather dealers all have told me 1 inch will suffice and direct burial would be fine. i am still considering another tile over it but my funds for 1.25 and more outer pipe is not really in the budget. i used 1 inch kitec pipe before and have had no problem but i am told 1 inch kitec was a little bigger than pex?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 06:41:48 PM »

Awesome job so far WillieG!
I sure do like that backhoe on your tractor.Would look good on my old IH 574. >:D
I really like how you will be able to pull in whatever you want in that pipe.Now is that metal?
Looks great,but I am sure you must have hated cuttin up that garage floor. :bash:
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 07:21:21 PM »

Awesome job so far WillieG!
I sure do like that backhoe on your tractor.Would look good on my old IH 574. >:D
I really like how you will be able to pull in whatever you want in that pipe.Now is that metal?
Looks great,but I am sure you must have hated cuttin up that garage floor. :bash:
wife is more upset when i cut up her laneway..seems like everytime we just get it settled down and smoothed out we need to dig it up again I have central metering so the pole is located in teh yard..new trench to each shed and water lines to each shed too not one building in the yard was ever done at the same time..then before i ever built my OWB i bought in ground eater furnace..taht cut up the whole lawn to bury 3000 feet of pipe i don't think you can safely stick a shovel in the ground here anymore!

yes the pipe is metal 12 inch yellow jacket (gas line pipe) i aquired about 120 feet for a bottle of booze they were taking out a line from a reservation and scrapping it so the guys cutting it up were thirsty when i went by
  but yes, i hated cutting up the garage floor
some things just have to be done
 not sure when the trench will be finished they are calling for three days of showers
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada
Pages: [1] 2