Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Happy or not?????  (Read 11828 times)

ckbetz

• View Profile
Re: Happy or not?????
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 09:42:27 AM »

That is a really nice looking job.  I think I'll show it to a friend of mine that could fabricate something like that, he's been wanting an outside boiler for some time now.
Pomeroy, Ohio

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 01:41:38 PM »

THANKS!!  I appreciate the words of encouragement.   I have more pics of it going together, and plenty of measurements and suggestions if someone out there wants more details.   I also see a few things I would DEFINATELY CHANGE.   

1.  I thought a 19" X 19" door would be plenty big, but you can only fill the firebox 19" high with wood, and a real finger-masher.    Lots of unused firebox.  I still get a 12 hour burn time as long as the temp doesn't dip below about 15 at night.  That is heating my 1680 sq. ft. house @ 73 degrees, and about 1200 sq. ft. of my garage/shop @ 50+ degrees or so at night.  When I am working in my garage or woodshop, I crank it on up.  With temps up around 40 at night, I can get by with one load a day.  I haven't used it yet for my DHW.  That is coming soon.   

2.  I think I would pump from one end of the tank, and return to the other end next time.  A little better circulation of the water. 

3.  I would have the aquastat a little further away from the water returning TO the tank.  Probably a more accurate water temp. 

Anyways,,,, I'm sure you all have more good ideas to share as well.   When I was planning mine, I couldn't find anyone willing to share plans or ideas without spending some $$.  I will be more than willing to help in any way I can.   Maybe a good idea for a new category??????  A place someone can go to find plans, ideas, pics, info, etc. on items they would like to build.   Maybe a good resource for someone looking to build their own stove,  HX, or equipment.  I am planning on building a log splitter this summer.   I don't know of any place to find pics, drawings, specs.  I usually work things out on my own.  Just a thougth,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks again!!
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 03:25:43 PM »

Mark,

If you look at the pictures of the stove that our son built under home made on this site,you can see how he ran 1"s/s pipe on the return back to the stove to the front where the loading door is and takes the water to the house from the lower part of the stove.This I think,keeps a good mixing of the water in the water jacket.

Ron
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 03:53:55 PM »

Hey Ron,,, I have looked at those pics a dozen times so far.  VERY NICE!!!!!  I saw the tubes inside it, and thougth that was what they were for.  I wanted to make a stove from round pipe, but the price to have the metal rolled was unbelievable.  I build my entire stove for the price of the outside tank center,,, not counting the end caps.  I checked at several steel distributors in WV.  WV Steel in Charleston, WV wanted over $2000 for a piece rolled 48" in diameter, and 60" long.  I don't have $2000 in the entire unit as you see in the pictures without the shed.  I used  1/4" plate,,, Grade A36.  I bought the 4 X 8 sheets of 1/4" for $275 a sheet.  5 sheets, plus some flat bar, angle, and box tubing, and HEY,,,, I got a stove!  I bought my new mig welder just for the stove.  I have a Lincoln Pro Mig 180.  It's plenty hot enough, but the duty cycle is only 30%.  You can't weld continually with it.  It kicks the thermal switch.  Next welder will be much bigger.

I'd be interested in seeing more pics of your sons stove, and some measurements as well.  I hope to build a second one this summer, and his is a very impressive stove.  I didn't know much of what I was doing when I built mine, but had already figured I would build a second one.  I am a decent welder, and love working with my hands.  I'm usually rebuilding a car or truck.  If it weren't for my OWB, I would be working in a COLD garage right now.

A for the draft fan on the door, no problems so far.  The motor is on the opposite side from where we get the rain, but I'm sure it gets it's share of water.  I plan on putting a shield over it very soon.

Mark
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV
Pages: 1 [2]