Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rugged Split  (Read 6956 times)

jedc43

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL-6048
    • View Profile
Rugged Split
« on: March 23, 2013, 12:05:56 PM »

Has anyone had any experiences or information on this unit from IMS Machine...The specs are good for the price but I have not read or could find any reviews on this machine...It holds 8 gallons od hydraulic fluid..that is a good selling point because most of the splitters in this price range do not offer such a big tank...
                                                                                                Marc
                      http://www.imslogsplitter.com/

chaikwa

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE-2100
    • View Profile
Re: Rugged Split
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »

Be careful of the cheap splitters. They may be ok... or they may not. Lots of little 'fibs' in their product literature. For example, they state their large hydraulic reservoir ensures fast cycle times. The size of the tank has nothing to do with how fast the machine will work. They're also stating it will produce 37 tons of splitting force. With the pump they are using, and the size of the cylinder, you'll be getting 25 tons. Barely. Which is more than enough, but why lie about it? That pump would have to be putting out almost 4000psi to get somewhere close to 37 tons.

You usually get exactly what you pay for!

jedc43

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL-6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 02:33:07 PM »

Be careful of the cheap splitters. They may be ok... or they may not. Lots of little 'fibs' in their product literature. For example, they state their large hydraulic reservoir ensures fast cycle times. The size of the tank has nothing to do with how fast the machine will work. They're also stating it will produce 37 tons of splitting force. With the pump they are using, and the size of the cylinder, you'll be getting 25 tons. Barely. Which is more than enough, but why lie about it? That pump would have to be putting out almost 4000psi to get somewhere close to 37 tons.

You usually get exactly what you pay for!
The large Tank will help with keeping the hydraulic oil cool if running for long periods of time...most of your high end splitters have a large oil tank...thats all im saying
and as far as tonnage ratio to psi...I run a 75 ton press brake and it only puts out 2500 psi on the pressure guage..there are other factors that comes in to play for tonnage.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:38:06 PM by jedc43 »

petemoss

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: shopbuilt
  • OWF Model: # 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 12:53:21 AM »

That looks like a good spliter for the money. I can't buy the parts for that price.
009 stihl
024 stihl
029 stihl
029 super
6401 makita
new holland L783 skidsteer
1086 ih tractor
706 ih tractor
west central mo. lots of hedge

chaikwa

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE-2100
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 07:03:41 PM »

The large Tank will help with keeping the hydraulic oil cool if running for long periods of time...most of your high end splitters have a large oil tank...thats all im saying
and as far as tonnage ratio to psi...I run a 75 ton press brake and it only puts out 2500 psi on the pressure guage..there are other factors that comes in to play for tonnage.
I didn't say YOU made any of my quoted statements. I got them off the 'Rugged Split' web-site. And yes, I am aware that a large hydraulic tank will dissipate heat, but THEY claimed it made the cycle time faster. And as far as cooling the fluid goes, 8 gallons is better than 4 I guess, but still, with a 16+ GPM pump, the total capacity of the tank will theoretically be moved thru the system twice every minute. That doesn't give it much time to cool off in the tank. General industry standard for this application and size is roughly one and a half or two times the rated pump size in tank capacity. And that's ACTUAL capacity, not just tank size. Given that, it should ideally have something close to an 25 or 30 gallon tank. Something in the 15 to 20 gallon range would be more in line with what most manufacturers would probably put on it for a tank.

As far as a tonnage rating goes, tonnage is a function of pressure and the area that pressure is pushing against. With a 5" diameter cylinder and 2500 psi, you will get 49,062.5 pounds of pushing force, or 24.53125 tons. To get this answer, calculate the cross-sectional area of the piston by squaring the diameter, multiplying the result by pi (3.14), then dividing this result by 4. For the example of the 'Rugged Split', in which the cylinder has a 5 inch diameter, the cross sectional area is 5" X 5 = 25 X 3.14 = 78.5 /4 = 19.625 square inches. Calculate the cylinder tonnage by multiplying the square inches by the pressure capacity of the hydraulic pump. For example, using the 'Rugged Split' cylinder above and a 2500 psi pump, multiply the cylinder capacity of 19.625 square inches X 2500 psi = 49062.5 pounds. To convert from pounds to tons, divide this result by 2,000 to get 24.5 tons. They don't say specifically what their pump is running for pressure, but I guessed at 2500psi as that's my middle of the road guess. I would doubt it's any higher than that, but I can almost guaranty that it's not the 4000psi it would have to be to get their claimed 37 tons.

With all that said, I'm not saying this machine wouldn't work for you, I'm just saying it's not as 'rugged' as they're trying to make it sound or as their name may imply. It's probably the same machine that's sold at Tractor Supply. I was just there today and they had several '37 Ton' splitters on display out front that looked identical as the ones at the 'Rugged Split' website but I didn't make note of the price.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:37:27 PM by chaikwa »

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 08:26:53 PM »

if you cant find any reviews or info.. Its probably a good indication to stay away from the product
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

CRJR

• View Profile