Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: water driping from door  (Read 14124 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: water driping from door
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 11:14:29 AM »

I am still not clear on where you are measuring the temperature. Is there anything between the two points you are checking? Are you using the same thermometer and on the same type surface?

the trailmaster

• OWF Brand: CENTRAL BOILER
  • OWF Model: 2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »

At my outside boiler I have 190 F confirmed.  48 feet inside my house, a temp. gu. says 180 F.  The only thing in this section is the cb thermo valve.  Either side of thermo valve I confirmed 180 F.   I'm thinking I'm not, as one person stated, getting enough gpm.  We will try a new pump thur. and hope.
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 07:12:38 PM »

could it be the thermo valve? can you take it out of the line just to see what difference it makes? it is possable it is sticking part way closed and that would also give you less gpm delivery to yoru home?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MTJAG

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 08:50:36 PM »

temperature
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 10:23:20 PM »

Is it possible that the temp guage in the house is just not calibrated correctly?  I have several of the little 1/8" inline thermometers from my CB dealer and I have some that read as much as 5 degrees different.  Just a thought.  Thermostatic valve would be my next guess.
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2012, 01:40:51 PM »

To rule out the gage you might want to get a thermal heat gun and try looking along your line.  Even with a low flow, I would not think you would be dropping that much just with line.  Is it insulated?

the trailmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2012, 02:30:51 PM »

Hi all  To bring you up to date we removed the thermo valve today and picked up 5 degrees.  We also found the pressure went up to 12 lbs., up from 9lbs.  Tells me thermo was not opper. properly.   We are now at 5 to6 degree loss coming into the house.  With all pipes insulated, 009 pump, pex pipe, just seems a lot of loss in 48 feet.   I want to thank each of you for great advice, I'm impressed how many bright people have answers my questions  Thank you again
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 04:27:17 PM »

that much heat loss in 48 feet with insulated lines leads me (and a few others here) to think your measuring devices are not calabrated equally

your taco 009 (i think) is moving somewhere around 7 gpm (a guess)
i doubt in 48 feet of POORLY INSULATED pipe that you would see 5 degree loss at that rate of speed, but you wold notice the snow above the pipe on the ground to be completely melted
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 04:46:23 PM »

trailmaster
   I don't think your temps after 48' mean much of anything. We sometimes forget that ThermoPex lines are only separated by 1/4" of foam, and that there will be some transfer of temperature from one to the other. My OWB is 95' from my house, and using my thermometer, I too get about a 5* loss coming into my house. My two heat exchangers pull about 25* out of my water, but if I shoot my line going back to my boiler in my basement and then the same line at the boiler, it will actually pick up about 4*. In other words, my incoming water is heating up my return water.
   My valving is such that if I close two valves and open one I can bypass the exchangers all together. My incoming line in my basement is then usually only 1*-2* lower than what it is at my boiler, and I'm OK with that. I think you received a lot of good advise regarding your flow(or lack thereof). With everything running, I wouldn't think you should see any more than 6*. 
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

the trailmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »

Hi Marty    What your saying makes sense to me.  We plan to add temp gu. at the outlet of the boiler and the inlet also, just before the pump and just after the check valve on the return.  This should tell us if we need to recalibrate the controller temp. gu. or do we have this as fine tuned as well as it will be.
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

dwneast77

• View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2012, 10:00:36 PM »

I have 2 supply lines coming from my boiler.  1 feeds my house and the other is feeding a manifold with multiple pumps which heat my greenhouses.  Right now those are drained but I keep water circulating through the manifolds, but there is virtually no heat loss as it is located 10' from the boiler.  Anyway, I looked at both return lines today and it backed up my previous post about temp guages not being accurate.  The greenhouse line was 2 to 3 degrees warmer than the temp on the boiler.  The house return line was 5 to 6 degrees warmer than the current boiler temp.  I guess my house is just that efficient?........NOT!!  So accuracy is only so good.  Basically I was told make note of what it reads and watch it for changes.  I'll add too that my house lines are about 140' in length with 1" line and 009 pump.  My boiler is located at the far end of one of my greehouses.  Most of the line is above ground running under a bench with only regular pipe insulators and inside that green wrap my dealer gave me to keep water out.  Only about 35' is Thermopex going under my driveway to the home.  So a 50' run through insulated lines should not be dropping your temp.  Thermostatic valve?, maybe, or just a bad guage. 
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
JD 870 Tractor

dwneast77

• View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2012, 10:32:03 PM »

Trailmaster,
I just had a thought.  A quick test would be to swap guages.  That'll tell you quick enough if one is wrong.
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
JD 870 Tractor

the trailmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2012, 03:21:45 AM »

Down east    I will try it.  Keep one thing in mind, the 2400 runs great.  I could recommend this unit to anyone.
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

hddmax66

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »

I was told that i should use a zone valve to stop the flow thru the heat exchanger when the fan is not runing. It kinda made sence since the exchanger is below the furnace and the heat is always going into the furnace and fan and not just into the vents as a updraft would do. I do know heat + electronics is not good and can shortin the life. Does this make sence? I wonder if anybody with downdraft furnace has experianced this.
[/q

Well kinda wish i hooked up my zone valve. The circut board just fried on the furnace!
Pages: 1 2 [3]