Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1450 and wood ignition burner  (Read 2304 times)

TTerry

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
1450 and wood ignition burner
« on: January 25, 2012, 09:01:50 AM »

I purchased a 1450 in December 2011. Its taken a little time to learn how to run it compared to my previous boiler{Western Pacific SS} I was wondering if there are any owners who bought their boiler, ignition ready, and added the burner at a later time. What differences did  you notice. Does the addition of the power ignition burner decrease the smoking period at the beginning of a burn cycle? Do you get more time between clean outs of the reaction chamber? Does it allow you to burn damper wood or larger pieces? How do you have it programed? How big of a tank do you have and how long will it last at your settings? Thanks for any replies.   Terry

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: 1450 and wood ignition burner
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:55:49 AM »

I purchased a 1450 in December 2011. Its taken a little time to learn how to run it compared to my previous boiler{Western Pacific SS} I was wondering if there are any owners who bought their boiler, ignition ready, and added the burner at a later time. What differences did  you notice. Does the addition of the power ignition burner decrease the smoking period at the beginning of a burn cycle? Do you get more time between clean outs of the reaction chamber? Does it allow you to burn damper wood or larger pieces? How do you have it programed? How big of a tank do you have and how long will it last at your settings? Thanks for any replies.   Terry
Hello TTerry,  Welcome to the site.  I have been heating my house since late Oct. 2011 with the E-classic 1400 which has the capability for the ignition ready system.  It came without it.  I have been told that they are very inefficient, uses a lot of gas.  I cannot answer your question directly about the IR system and I may not have it installed.  Even when the outdoor temp went to 15 below zero coupled with a north wind my 1400 kept my house toasty warm for me.  If the 1450 is anything like the 1400, keep the air holes clear of any foreign matter (creosote, ash, etc..).  I was awaken at 1:30am a couple of weeks back by my oil furnace running.  I decided to investigate the cause and to make a long story short, all of the lower air holes and approx. 40% of the upper ones were clogged.  I spent 3 hour cleaning them of the creosote, coals and ash.  Every morning and evening I inspect them to be sure they clear and letting the air in the firebox.  I think I spend at the very most 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening servicing my OWB.  Taking 20 minutes everyday to be sure they are clear is a small price to pay for warmth and comfort.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire