Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: wood usage  (Read 2805 times)

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
wood usage
« on: May 31, 2009, 02:19:33 PM »

now that spring is here and i have had a little time to meet with other OWB owners in the area, everyone agrees, in this part of southern ontario winter was harder than in the past and everyones wood consumption was up about 2 bush cords regaurdless of stove manufacturer

some who normally say they burn 6 cords say they were near 8 and  some who were normally 10 were 12
my feeling...who cares! if iwee burning oil or gas i would still have burnt more

if i normally burn 10 and i burnt 12 that would be a 20% increase....do you know anyone whom would think a 20% increase in their gas bill would not be bitchin'
i say..if i have to cut 2 more loads of wood..that aint so bad, sure it is more time and labor on my part but i am saving more

some folks tell me if i was to count all my labor at an hourly wage it would work our to the same as paying for my home heating fuel so i am not really saving anything...i call Bull Sh....t.  All those guys whom tell me that are lazing on the couch and nursing hangoevers or still in bed most saturday mornings while me and my sons are in the bush

i know cutting would isnt for everyone, and paying the gas bill is easier, but for me it one of the places my kids learned that work is good for you and can produce results. And you can get to know your kids a whole lot better than in front of the tv with them

if you cut wood with your family like I do, take a lunch with you or some food to reheat or cook over a wood fire, make an outing of it, cutting wood can be an enjoyable day out and a great family time together. My daughter has even brought the grandkids out for a hike and a campfire dinner while we are there, they love it.

OK, that is my spring time rant...sometimes money people tick me off when they tell me i am wasting my time with this OWB...forgive my ranting and enjoy the summer, sharpen your chains and axe September is just three months away
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jon d

• View Profile
Re: wood usage
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 07:35:55 PM »

AMEN willie!!! GREAT post!!  I'm proud to have cut my wood and saved $$$$$$. It's nice not to depend on gas companys for their expensive gas. Affraid it's going to get worse...Nice to be able to take care of myself..
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 09:56:55 PM »

I have 4 boys and they are getting use to carrying wood.  Its nice not having a gas bill and I can keep the house around 73*.  With gas it was around 68*

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 12:11:12 PM »

I agree with ya Willie.  BUT,,,,,,,, wait and see,,,,, if those guys on the couch with all the $$ lose their jobs, and can't PAY for the gas to hear their homes, it will be YOU and I that they will expect to bail them out and pay it for them.  At least that is what they think. 

I think the day is here that we need to take care of ourselves.  We raise a big garden and can our food.  We take deer and turkey off the farm.  We harvest from our orchard.  YEP,, it's all alot of work, but when the snow flies,, my house will be warm, and my belly will be full,  because I got off the couch and took care of myself. 

Last year, I cut, split, and stacked over 7 cord by myself in one week.  My son is raised and gone now, but I take pleasure and PRIDE in working hard.  YEP,,, kinda' wore me out, but I sure felt good standing there looking at that shed when it was done. 

Well,,, enough for now.  I need to start filling that shed again. :thumbup:
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »

I like the way you folks think.  Pride (in the good sense) is something that is about gone today and it's nice to find likeminded people and a forum available where we can "hang out".  Just remember-stay safe out there.  Those of you who spend the summer in the woodpile now have stinging bugs and snakes in there among all the routine hazards. 

Willie-I like your rants. Keep it up.  :)
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA