Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why not to put your boiler in a woodshed  (Read 6506 times)

Pinehouse4

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34/44
    • View Profile
Re: Why not to put your boiler in a woodshed
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »

I have shown these before but this is where I was planning to place my BL 34/44 when it comes, in the right side where the canoe is. I would remove the rafters near the insulated stack and frame around it to carry the weight. I will pour a concrete pad where the compacted gravel is now.

The wood shed will be extended to the left two more sections so it should hold 14 to 15 cords ( I hope )

The stack will be extended with insulated chimney above the steel roof using a thimble.

I have zero experience with an OWB but 30+ years of heating only with wood stoves and I do not understand where the risk comes from. I am not trying to be difficult, I want to know what I am missing here.

To my way of thinking I am taking away the risk of three wood stoves in the house and one in the shop and replacing it with one stove under a steel roof beside a huge pile of wood. Now I can see that if there is a fire there it will be quite a sight, however it would pale in comparison to a 5000 square foot pine log and pine board and batten house with a cedar shingle roof! They would see that from space.

I am trying to look down the road so that as I can more easily manage by having the wood within carrying or wheel barrow distance of the stove in all weather including possibly the summer.

I just do not see where there is a fire hazard from the BL 34/44 if it is properly used with the respect it deserves.

When I am teaching my son about wood working tools I stress to him that table saws, scroll saws, band saws etc have no remorse, they will cut you up and keep on going like you were never there, the same respect must accompany fire, it is totally indifferent to us.

Bob

Stihl 028
Stihl 046
Wallenstien 820 wood processor
JD 6300 4 WD loader, blade, blower, forks,
BL 34/44 working great.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 10:12:27 PM »

I plan on having a metal roof, and enclosing the underside so birds can't roost under it and crap on everything all summer long.

I can borrow my uncles 8' flashing brake to wrap the poles or any other exposed wood. I plan on extending the stack horizontally and going up the past the edge of the roof instead of cutting a hole in the roof.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 04:43:17 AM »

The way it looks to me the 34-44 won't even fit under that after you put your pad in I could be wrong maybe you've already measured but the 34-44 has some height. Again that's just the way it looks from the picture.
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 04:46:56 AM »

Bob, could you not simply put the boiler just outside on the right and extend the building with metal studs and roofing, this would give you more storage area for your wood and better eliminate fire hazard
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Pinehouse4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 10:17:05 PM »

The way it looks to me the 34-44 won't even fit under that after you put your pad in I could be wrong maybe you've already measured but the 34-44 has some height. Again that's just the way it looks from the picture.

Yes it does fit in there, the bottom of the front beam is 96 inches then the rafters start 7.5 inches above that running backwards.

The unit is 82 inches, the pad would be flush with the compacted gravel.

The stack is offset to the side, therefor to the front of this slopped roof. measured from the center of the unit back there is good room.

Never the less I keep looking at alternatives, the end goal being the ability to carry armloads or a wheelbarrow of wood in all weather easily now and into the future. I keep thinking that if I place it separate from the shed I will look back and think I was dumb to do so having to transport the fuel 10 or 20 feet to the stove. I have done that for years so I am looking at making it easier to do.

Bob
Stihl 028
Stihl 046
BL 34/44 working great.

Pinehouse4

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 10:20:41 PM »

Bob, could you not simply put the boiler just outside on the right and extend the building with metal studs and roofing, this would give you more storage area for your wood and better eliminate fire hazard

Hi Richard,

I will post some pictures I took this afternoon tomorrow if I have time that show that area better. I am off early in the morning to pick up 12 cast iron radiators of various sizes, 500 kilometers round trip, so I have no time to load the pics tonight.

Bob

Stihl 028
Stihl 046
BL 34/44 working great.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 04:28:08 AM »

Could you do an addition on the end to keep you under cover made of non flammable material, Great score on the Rads, I think I have mentioned before, that is my second favorite way to heat, radiant is my first choice, you might want to check them for leaks before installing them.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »

Heres a few pics of my pole shed..pics are a couple yrs old..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 10:19:53 AM »

Nice stack, says a lot.
Michigan Thumber

Farmer85

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Rancher 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 08:26:52 AM »

Hi. I had planned the same idea with a shed around my owb. This is my first year with this one and I planned on building shed this summer, until about 3 weeks ago I was leaving for work in a hurry as usual and on a windy day I filled my stove. As usual I rake the coals around and mound them up with a shovel before filling. Needless to say a Half hour later my wife calls and says the wood pile about 5' away is in a full blaze. I had it stacked in front of stove but off to the side a bit. I guess while raking coals around one fell out and the wind blew it across my concrete and onto some bark and scrap wood lying on the ground. I keep my scraps shoveled up fairly good but not good enough. My stove sits 12' from a 50x70 barn. My idea was to build a lean to from barn and leave stove just outside. A lot of people use this method. The fire darn near burned down my barn and boiler. No damage to either because luckily she was home and I had a garden hose nearby already hooked up. It burned up half a cord of dried wood. If I would of had a shed built it would of burned my entire barn down. Wind was blowing 30mph that day. This changed my mind completely. I think I am going to actually move
My stove 10' further away and just use my wheelbarrow to fill. It takes 20 extra seconds. Just my 2 cents worth. 
Sullivan Mo
Earth rancher 365
Stihl ms250,ms260pro,ms290,ms034,ms460
Skidsplitter,gas powered splitter and shiny mall

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 08:37:11 AM »

Thats a wake up call, sucks that you burned half a cord but at least that's all it was!!!
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Pinehouse4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 08:50:06 PM »

Well based on the views of some of the members I have decided not to put my boiler in my wood shed.

When it all comes down to it I see that I can still put my OWB on a new slab, build a steel roof over it and have room on the side for a bucket of wood using the tractor. Both will stay dry, including me!

I am not in a position to erect a steel frame and roof, not being a welder of any sort, but I can erect a simple post and truss affair with a steel roof which will minimize the hazard.

I have the pictures and I will try to show the new location relative to the surroundings tomorrow.

Thanks to those who opinions have been considered,

Bob

Bob
Stihl 028
Stihl 046
BL 34/44 working great.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 09:35:13 PM »

THANK YOU !!!!

Pinehouse4

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 11:01:47 AM »

THANK YOU !!!!

I knew you would be happy!

I also have made arrangements to have to BL 34/44 dropped off at the local rental equipment facility. He has all manner of equipment there and then he will deliver it on a low tilt and load so I can off lift it with my tractor and onto the slab, then I will frame the roof over the boiler. This also circumvents the half load restrictions on the roads.

Happy happy happy !

Bob
Stihl 028
Stihl 046
BL 34/44 working great.
Pages: 1 [2]