Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thinking of Getting a HEATMOR 200, input please!  (Read 7909 times)

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
Thinking of Getting a HEATMOR 200, input please!
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:18:07 AM »

hey everyone,

there is a 1 yr old heatmor 200 for sale by me for 4,500. Stove is in great shape. Dealer i spoke with said warranty it transferable. I know what the same model retails for new, and this is a great price. I am currently running a Timberwolf 5000 natural draft unit, and even tho it works, it seems very inefficient to me. lots of heat loss thru the stack and door.

My neighbor has a HEatmor 400 and lvoes it. 11 yrs with no issues.

Just wanting some feedback from Heatmor owners. Anything specific i should be looking for when i go check it out??????

Thanks everyone

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of Getting a HEATMOR 200, input please!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:27:23 AM »

I would buy it for that price not sure how much more efficient it will be over the timberwolf but they are great stoves!
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:34:47 AM »

what do they normally retail for? I think i read somewhere around 7k but im not sure.

hrc200x

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 04:21:11 PM »

This is my first winter on firewood in general and using a heatmor 200, any stove is better than fuel oil. I've heard others say the heatmor's aren't as efficient as other stoves. It seemed like I was burning through a lot of wood earlier, but I was using wet/borderline rotten maple, balsam, and birch, now that I've switched to birch thats been cut down for a year, but only cut to firebox length since fall it seems decent.

Only problem I've had with stove is that when temps were warmer out in the fall (30-40 degrees F) the call for heat wasn't as often so the flapper door in front of the fan stuck open slightly because creosote built up on the hinge part. This caused temps to get warmer than they should, but no water was lost or damage, if I'd have had a dump zone hooked up I'd probably not noticed there was a issue. When temps are colder and the fan has to start and stop more often it keeps the flapper door free and moving. I think in the future when temps are that warm I will move the differential to 5-10 degrees, so the fan needs to come on more often. The flapper has even stuck closed because of this issue. It has to do alot with getting used to the stove, if I'd have known that flappers could get stuck I'd have messed with the differential right after the fall install.

I work with a guy that has had his heatmor since the early 90s and the only issue was that just this year his door got some holes in it.

About the only thing I can think of is finding out if its ever been over heated.

How does your neighbors 400 seem on wood usage?

Ridge

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 04:37:35 AM »

I have the 200CSS and so far so good, it is better than I expected on wood but it is my first. I did a nice layout with longer concrete slabs but I wish I would of put 2" of foam under the stove itself in the concrete. All that insulates the bottom of stove is a 1/4" insulating foil and then I have 700 lbs of mason sand on that. I see snow melt right next to side of concrete slab below boiler so some heat is going down. But even with my poor insul house and heating garage to 58 and DHW I might go thru 9-10 cords

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 02:30:23 AM »

thanks for the replies.

MY nrighbors 400 is on its 12th year of operation with zero issues. He loads twice a day, only about a 1/3 firebox full. overall, its seems to burn about the same as mine, but my heat demand is smaller than his. SO his seems to burn more efficiently. His doesnt smoke much and all and ges up to temp quick. Im thinking off just dropping the $ on a new 200, instead of buying the used one.

Jwood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 06:26:53 AM »

That one year old one is pretty close to half price.
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27

hrc200x

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 06:34:31 AM »

He can burn pretty long wood (50" or something) in his, is he using longer sticks than yours?

Smoke is minimal on mine also, I can't believe the EPA is after stoves like these, they should probably put a stop to forest fires first, I know when that stinky smoke comes through town during a forest fire its an instant headache, I don't get a headache from loading my stove.

The smoke is just a little whiff when the fan is off. When fan turns on, after just loading it, or when some wood shifts inside the box is when it smokes a bit. After it gets burning it seems there are times where there is virtually no smoke.

swede

• OWF Brand: shaver 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 08:27:11 AM »

One of the best stoves you can buy in my opinion.  Friend has one thats over 20 years old. 
the smoke don't mean its broke

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 09:25:25 AM »

my firebox is only 42 inches long. i think the 400 has a 52inc long firebox??? i dunno, i know he could load more than me...but we both only flll about 1/3-1/2 load...i seem to get better efficency when not stuffing it to the gills

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 09:29:29 AM »

That one year old one is pretty close to half price.

yeah, it is a good deal. Guy is tryong to play hard nose now at 5,500. I offered him 4500 cash and he didnt want to take it. Brand New they are 7800. if i could get it for 4500 it would be a sweet deal still. But at 5500, id almost just rather pay full price and be the single owner. No matter how good  a used stove looks, there is always that fear of what they might have done, or not done to it. At least that is just me.

Jwood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 11:38:53 AM »

When I bought my stove the dealer had a 200css he took on trade for a BL and sold it for 6500 in less than a week...
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 02:25:50 PM »

Not sure how far away you are but there is a local guy who sells Heatmor here in Iowa.  He has a couple new left over Heatmor 200 units that he told me he'd sell for what the price was a few years ago when he got them.

They are new units and I've stuck my head in them and they still look new.  I just didn't think they look very efficient because the heat can just run out the top without much resistance.

Here is his contact info.
Weigert Disposal Inc.
1089 40th Avenue, Prole, IA 50229
(641) 764-2389
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 02:32:31 PM »

Heatmor rates their 200 at 5000 square feet maximum heating area.  That's probably optimistic.  I'd go bigger just to be safe and get some long burn times.
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 03:48:27 AM »

thanks for all your info!
Pages: [1] 2