Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Portage and main, Central Boiler, or Heatmaster?  (Read 6894 times)

smokingun26710

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Portage and main, Central Boiler, or Heatmaster?
« on: October 28, 2012, 08:17:31 PM »

Im in the market for a new outdoor wood stove.  Ive narrowed my choices to the Heatmaster MF5000, the CB CL5036, and the Portage and Main ML30.  Ive owned a CB CL 5036 before and liked it but Im a bit leary because all the reviews Ive read stating leaks were discovered along with poor customer service.  The ML30 appears to be a quality product but Im not sure its worth $1000 more than the other two.  Kinda leaning towards the Heatmaster with its lifetime warranty at this time.  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.  I live in the mountains of West Virginia.  My new home will be approximately 2500 sq. ft.  There are no P & M dealers in my area, but there is a Heatmaster and 3 CB dealers in the area.  Again, all opinions would be appreciated.

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
Re: Portage and main, Central Boiler, or Heatmaster?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:51:54 AM »

I looked at CB and PM and choose the Portage and Main due to the blower, ash pan, and secondary flue gas exchanger.  Looks link Heatmaster has most of those features as well and its alway reasuring to have a decent dealer near by.
North Central Ohio

franky1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »

These furnaces u buy and u have him,,,if u need parts,,they can be sent to u after a phone call...

rick w

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: portage&main
  • OWF Model: portage&main ml 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 04:59:54 PM »

i paid the extra money for the portage & main and glad i didgreat unit parts and very good customer service. i live in spooner wisc and 12 miles to the north is my dealer and he has almost all the serviceable parts you need or can get in short order(strawbalefarms) dave jacoby has done me very well.

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 06:31:12 AM »

Are you interested in outside units or do you have a spare shop to install and OWB in?

Hicks waterstove is an excellent choice. I know the guy personally (my neighbor), he's been around for well
over 30 years. He offers (3) types of stoves including a gasser model and the parts are easily sourced
from grainger.

I grew up with one of his stoves, my father has bought one of his several times.

I bought my FIL's old house which had one build in 1984. We finally replaced it because we lumped
it into the home loan.

http://www.hickswaterstoves.com/