Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Any coal burners?  (Read 5408 times)

smoak

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Any coal burners?
« on: December 28, 2010, 04:36:28 PM »

Since I did the blower flap modification recently I decided to try a little stove coal in the 165 again.......Works great.. I will be getting a couple tons delivered soon....Was almost impossible to burn the coal with the fixed shutter on the blower but now it's a pleasure....really helps the burn time when supplementing the oak,hickory,etc...still experimenting with it.Happy with the blower mod and it's effect on coal burning,thought I'd share the joy....

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
Re: Any coal burners?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 11:44:29 AM »

Glad to see it working for you. Ive never burnt coal but am interested. How long of a burn did you get ?
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

smoak

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:00:30 PM »

Went to all coal....24 Hours between feedings seems to be working so far......Have to poke the ashes in the morning though,then poke it and add a couple shovels full in the evening.....Made a new grate out of re-bar too cause the original warped pretty bad and one of the bars burnt in half...Didn't cut enough wood again this year and coal's still half the cost of oil per BTU...and it smells better than oil

PURPLEBOWYER

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 03:26:25 PM »

I was wondering did you burn straight coal when your grates warped?Even thou I dont have the shaker grate I was thinking of trying coal in my 165,maybe putting some on top of a nice load of wood,or a good bed of coals on top of a couple splits.Anyone ever done this with the 165?

smoak

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 07:51:04 PM »

The grate was warping some before the coal burning... This 165 has  been going  non-stop for almost 3 years now so I would expect some warping..I was putting coal in with the wood and that was working really good,just doing all coal now cause it's been tough to get out for the wood.Now I'm trying a stove/nut coal mix, and that seems easier to keep going  than all Stove coal...