Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wood Shed Location  (Read 5512 times)

DBeleskey

• OWF Brand: Polar
  • OWF Model: G2
  • Novar ON
    • View Profile
Wood Shed Location
« on: June 15, 2022, 08:14:52 AM »

It's been a couple of years now with my Polar G2 and I am very happy with it. I am now looking at building a couple of sheds/roofs for my firewood. I want to build two 10x10 sheds for a couple of reasons. First, no permit required, second I will always have one years wood stored ahead. I can just work off one at a time keeping one full of wood that has been split for a year plus...

My question is with regards to location to the furnace. I would like to put one behind the furnace and the other in front but, I am concerned about any potential draft issues that may be caused by the buildings. Has anyone put sheds close to their boilers ? I have seen pictures of them covered or sheds built over them but nothing of sheds built close to the front and back. The manual states that the chimney must be higher than any portion of roof but I assume that relates to being inside a covered area.

Any thoughts ?
Polar G2
580 Case
Kubota F2100
Stihl 028
Stihl MS261

Living the dream...
Near Novar Ontario Canada

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Re: Wood Shed Location
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 01:50:01 PM »

I have a woodshed covering my woodpile and it is butted up to the front of my Central Boiler 6048.  I haven't heard of any draft issues that I thought I needed to worry about, and I've never had a problem.  The shed is about 22.5' long and 24' wide, and butts right up to the front of my stove, so my wood, and I... stay nice and dry all winter long.  I even have lights and an outlet out there.  It's a kit from Menards and is just like their "cart corrals" they have in their parking lot.  Not permanent, just staked into the ground.

It's enclosed on three sides with steel, but the back just has a tarp on it.  It's actually one of those billboard tarps so it'll last a while.  I use a 27' piece of old well pipe to roll it up and hang it on a couple of bars coming out the back when I'm filling the shed. I also store my trailer back there.

You might be able to tell that the wood shed is split into two sections. I have old garage door panels fashioned up as a "wall" to separate the two sides. I use about half the shed during a season, or one full side.  I stack it tight and go 7' high.  The side the stove is on holds about 12.1 cords of wood, and the other side holds about 14.7 cords of wood. (The door swings inward and there's a 4' cement slab in front of the stove so that takes up some room on that side)

I can't imaging any type of drafting issues that would need to be dealt with, but maybe that's specific to your stove.  I had to have my stove in the front corner of the building because its right on the edge of a slope going downhill, so I had to either move my stove (not a great idea) or move the building over when I was building it.  I chose the latter.  I'm very very happy with this setup right now but If I had to do it over again, I suppose I might have the stove still outside (so it doesn't take up any space inside the woodshed) but in the center- front of the shed, rather than in the corner.  That way I'd have the exact same amount of storage space on both sides and I wouldn't have to walk further to get firewood every other year like I do now.

Of course if I put the stove in the center-front of the woodshed, my patio wouldn't be as nice and open as it is so....

If I were you, I'd either build one 10X20 room and have the stove outside of it, but in the center-front,  or because of building permits, build two 10x10 rooms basically touching each other, essentially creating a 10x20 room.  If you have one room at the back of the stove, that's not going to be fun loading the stove on the years that you pull from that room.
Hudson, WI

DBeleskey

• OWF Brand: Polar
  • OWF Model: G2
  • Novar ON
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Shed Location
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 05:07:11 AM »

Thanks for the reply Scratch...

Great looking setup you have there, and chimney goes above the roof line. I don't know if you are familiar with Polar G2 furnace but, they only have a two foot chimney with them. I contacted Polar and they gave a very short reply but, it seems like they don't suggest that I add any length to the supplied chimney. So, that leaves me a bit confused as to the chimney... if I could add another foot or two it might be okay, but I believe I would have to start playing around with the damper controls, I don't know. The furnace works great right now and I would hate to screw that up...

I did get in touch with the building department and it seems I am allowed to build a firewood enclosure with a maximum of 161 sq ft so I can build a 16x10 without any problem. Why the different specs for a firewood enclosure I don't know but, I am not going to ask !!

The wood shed I will build will be about 8 ft in front(at the loading door) of the furnace. It will be close to 8 ft high when complete, just a sloped roof not peaked, and the stack of the furnace is about the same height. What I am concerned about is the possibility of more of an updraft situation causing the furnace to continue to heat even after the fan has shut off. Don't know if that is even an issue with these down draft gasifiers ?
Polar G2
580 Case
Kubota F2100
Stihl 028
Stihl MS261

Living the dream...
Near Novar Ontario Canada