Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Y Strainer  (Read 3400 times)

lindnova

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 200 CSS
    • View Profile
Y Strainer
« on: December 05, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »

Anyone use a y strainer in their water line? 

I just installed one thinking it would be a good idea.  I have a bypass with valves to clean during service or if it starts restricting flow too much.  After 4 years, there was a lot of black sludge coating the pipe.   Hopefully this will avoid having a clogged heat exchanger.
Stihl ms260, ms362, msS461
Huskee 22 TN Splitter
Kubota BX2200 w/ Loader

Ridgekid

Re: Y Strainer
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 04:14:12 PM »

Dealer did not install one on mine.  I recently did a sample drain on the low point of OWB and nothing came out so I hope I'm ok.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 04:16:18 PM »

Anyone use a y strainer in their water line? 

I just installed one thinking it would be a good idea.  I have a bypass with valves to clean during service or if it starts restricting flow too much.  After 4 years, there was a lot of black sludge coating the pipe.   Hopefully this will avoid having a clogged heat exchanger.
here is mine

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/billie_boy7/P2180002.jpg
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 05:58:16 PM »

I just put one in a month ago to, never new i needed one!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

gmviso

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 08:16:23 PM »

Well I put one in to protect my 20 plate heat exchanger. Not sure how I will know when to clean it though.
Central Boiler CL5036

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »

gm...i use one filter a year on mine. i usually start my stove in mid to late october and run on last years filter untill some time in november. i figure this should give the old filter a chance to catch all the little "clinkers" that accumulated in the boiler in the summer months from being idle. Then i use my bypass valves and put in a new clean filter for the "heavy burning" that is to come in the coming winter
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 08:28:29 PM »

gm...i use one filter a year on mine. i usually start my stove in mid to late october and run on last years filter untill some time in november. i figure this should give the old filter a chance to catch all the little "clinkers" that accumulated in the boiler in the summer months from being idle. Then i use my bypass valves and put in a new clean filter for the "heavy burning" that is to come in the coming winter

Willie do you ever find much in the filter?  What kind do u  use?
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 08:36:46 PM »

the filters i use look like a woulnd up roll of about 3/16 string (like you buy at the hardware store) when i started//teh replacement filters i get now look like they are pressed or molded out of some type of plastic or hard fibre

i have never really seen and chunks so to say (but some specs)  but the white string (the color it goes in when new) is a rusty color.

also when i replace my underground pipe last year it looked like a thin layer of black (thin like ciggerette paper) all around the inside of the  kiteck lines. however i have never noticed any cooling of the rads in my house///yet
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

lindnova

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 200 CSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 06:14:40 AM »

The strainer I installed is nothing more than #10 mesh.  It looks more like a brass check valve, not a sediment filter bowl.  I tried to post pics, but couldn't get the file small enough.  After 24 hours, I checked it and there were no large particles and a couple small specs caught in the bottom.  I don't expect to have restriction problems and probably will only need to check & flush it a couple times a year. 
Stihl ms260, ms362, msS461
Huskee 22 TN Splitter
Kubota BX2200 w/ Loader