Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Interested in NC 250. Is anyone using this model?  (Read 6216 times)

oakthorpelake

• View Profile
Interested in NC 250. Is anyone using this model?
« on: December 14, 2011, 09:07:33 AM »

I am looking to heat about 3000 sq ft and dhw.  I was recommended the 250 by the local dealer because of the poor insulation of my house.
Anyone using this model and what are your thoughts about the operation and efficiency?

mross350

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Interested in NC 250. Is anyone using this model?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:58:47 PM »

My ncb-250 will be here after christmas, so i will let you know when i get it going.  These boilers look good I can't wait.

Marc

Crossfire800

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Natures comfort
  • OWF Model: ncb 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 06:17:09 PM »

Ive been running a 325 for 3 months now had a couple single digit nights no problem. Im heating about 3500ish sqft DHW and hooking up hot tub within the next couple of weeks. as of now im getting 12-14 hour burn times using seasoned rounds .I just insulated under mine tonight to see how much of a difference it makes. the 325 i think is the same just little bigger. And by the way welcome
Pro 10-10
Husq 385xp
Crossfire 800 sp
Ford 1720

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »

My neighbor has one I sold him.  It has the same size grates as the 175.  So the firebox is longer and no air gets under the wood in the back and it rarely burns, he always has to drag the wood from the back to the front and gets nasty in the process.  He has the same results with seasoned wood too so it's not a wood quality problem.  The old 325 design is the same way, just lonnnnger.  Which to me exaggerates the issue.   The 325g on the other hand is an awesome design, but I'm not a big fan of the 250 or old 325.   

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 05:41:06 PM »

I have never heard of a problem like that before on a 250. Do others do the same thing or is it just that one? The air travels towards the chimney so is pulled back through the wood behind the grate area.

The 250 is the most popular Nature's Comfort around here.

Crossfire800

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 05:19:48 AM »

Rsi,
 I have had the same problem with my 325 anything longer than the grates doesnt really burn snd I have to pull it forward in the morn. I was going to try and either extend the grates and ash pan or add a down draft type system like on the 325 g.
Pro 10-10
Husq 385xp
Crossfire 800 sp
Ford 1720

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 11:02:47 AM »

I will have to look into it then. Maybe they just never mention it to me. I can see it happening on the 325 because it is so long though.

Does the wood eventually burn there if you leave it?

Crossfire800

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »

Not really ive tried leaving it there in the back and its still there in the next day mostly just piles up. Have you ever heard of anyone extending the grates or adding slots behind the grates to assit with the burn? Ive looked around and havent really found anything. Seems like there is a lot of extrst room in that boiler that could be used if there was an air supply.
Pro 10-10
Husq 385xp
Crossfire 800 sp
Ford 1720

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 11:28:49 AM »

The older design had the grate all the way back (or at least most of the way) and they were having it burn so hot back there that it would burn the bottom edge off the chimney pipe. That is why they only have it at the front now.

Crossfire800

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »

Thanks for the info on that. I guess im going to have to rethink my idea.
Pro 10-10
Husq 385xp
Crossfire 800 sp
Ford 1720

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 08:35:03 AM »

Hey rsi, every 250 I've seen down here does that, and no the wood in the back will never burn.  Just kinda gets black looking and slightly burned. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 10:52:13 AM »

I just talked to my brother last night about it and he said he has no problem like that at all. He said there is a pile of coals there because there is no grate for them to fall through and likes it that way. He said what is left there makes the new wood start burning clean much faster.

He said he found that cleaning the ash pan less is working out better too. He just shakes the drawer in and out each day to level the ashes and bring the coals to the top. Doing it this way he has only had to empty it twice this season so far.

I guess I will have to call my other brother with a 250 and see what he has to say about it.

mross350

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 06:02:25 PM »

I fired up my ncb-250 today.  So far so good.  Seems to me that it is not using as much wood as i thought, but its pretty warm outside right now.  I will keep you updated as i get more hours on it.

Divernut

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Natures Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 07:33:45 AM »

We installed a Natures Comfort NCB250 November of 2012 so we have one season under out belt.  I approximated the wood usage between 7 and 9 cords and used it well into April of 2013.  The unlimited hot water usage was awesome and the thermostat stayed about 72 even on the coldest days.  Needless to say we are very happy with our purchase.  I also installed everything myself and found it to be relatively straight forward.  We live in northwest Ohio and had an average winter last year.  I have about 8-10 cords ready to go for this year and plan to fire it up again in the next few weeks.

Following the topic posts, I also noticed having trouble keeping the wood burning in the back of the stove.  The grates are in the front and every morning, I'd have to pull all the charred wood to the front.  I was not happy.  I talked to my dealer and he said I had to "tune" my furnace to my home.  I can only use so much energy.  Okay....(scratching my head and adjusting my hat).  Long story short, we lowered the temp on the aquastat down to 170 and I closed the damper by half.  What was happening was the fire was buring hot for 5 minutes.  Full bore air, heat, etc.  Then cutting off for hours at a time.  This was the cycle that left unburned pieces in the back of the stove.  He said I needed to extend the burn.  The goal was to gradually build up the fire, let it burn for a while, then let it stand idle for a less period of time.  Instead of having hot fires at 5 minutes, I needed to have medium fires for 15 minutes.  It worked but I found I could increase the burn time by closing the damper even more and also adjusting the temperature differential down to 15 degrees on the aquastat.  My wood began buring longer, coals were hot in the back and I noticed less creosote build-up.  This balance allowed me to use less wood and had a cleaner furnace/chimney.  The only issue I had is when the temperature outside dropped below 0, the furnace had trouble keeping up.  I opened up the damper to half way and solved thie issue.  Once the outside temperature raised back up into the 20's, I just closed the damper back down to 1/4, never changing the aquastat controls.

My feeling is the furnace is too big for my home.  However, I told my dealer I wanted to eventually heat my garage and possibly the barn.  I decided to upsize to be safe. We have about a 2000 square foot home.  Once I had tuned my set up for my application, I burned far less wood.  the first month or two, it was really working me.  Now, I am confident it is working as designed.  We are very happy with our purchase.

For what it's worth, we did some considerable shopping around a year or so in advance.  We have 2 other family members burning wood, one uses a heatmaster and the other a Shaver.  I also have a good friend using a Shaver.  We looked at the display models at the county fair.  We found the warranty to be the best on the Natures Comfort and a reputable dealer close by for parts if needed.  Our commitment was for 10 years and we felt Natures Comfort met our needs the best.  I am very happy with the engineering on this stove, the company requtation, and features it offers.  So far so good, Feel free to ask me questions or give some advice.  I still consider myself a novice.
Husky 142 special
Husky 27t
mall, wedges, worn gloves, and a bad back

steve.b

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: natures comfort
  • OWF Model: ncb 175
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 04:54:11 PM »

I just installed a nc175 and in the process of finishing my exchanger for water and air. I may need some assistance in dialing this thing in when I start to burn, thanks for updating this post.