Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: cord of wood cost  (Read 11680 times)

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
cord of wood cost
« on: January 05, 2010, 08:34:36 PM »

I lost my free wood delivery guy and am running low on wood.  With it being so cold out, I decided to buy some, so I bought a cord of split and dry oak and maple.  I got it for 150 bucks.  Just wondering what you guys pay for wood if you do and if this seems like a good price.   It did to me. 
Also wondering something else.... the guy had a full size long box and threw the split wood in there to deliver it.  He claims that it is 1-1/2 face cords.  the box was full enough that the tailgate wouldn't open, and it heaped up about 18" above the bed in the center.

Does this seem like 1-1/2 face cords to you?  I didn't get to see it stacked, but this seems like a reputable guy.

Delivery was only 15 bucks too!
Hudson, WI

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: cord of wood cost
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:51:31 AM »

I lost my free wood delivery guy and am running low on wood.  With it being so cold out, I decided to buy some, so I bought a cord of split and dry oak and maple.  I got it for 150 bucks.  Just wondering what you guys pay for wood if you do and if this seems like a good price.   It did to me. 
Also wondering something else.... the guy had a full size long box and threw the split wood in there to deliver it.  He claims that it is 1-1/2 face cords.  the box was full enough that the tailgate wouldn't open, and it heaped up about 18" above the bed in the center.

Does this seem like 1-1/2 face cords to you?  I didn't get to see it stacked, but this seems like a reputable guy.

Delivery was only 15 bucks too!
Scratch, in my part of the world hardwood is going for an average of 60 or 70 bucks a face cord. a face cord here is defined as  4' high x 8' long x 16" deep.  ((a bush cord is three times as deep)) will a pickup truck hold a face cord? I would guess so, but as stated by the previous poster---piling it is the only way to know for sure.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 04:28:33 PM »

over here in new england you can buy a7 cord log truck load for $540 .  some tree guys will give you loads of pine that is not mill quality for free. a case of beer or a couple bucks  always  keeps them dropping more!

ARE

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 05:20:33 PM »

Scratch,

I did find some people in our area, 10 full cord for 750.00 out of Siren WI., needs to be cut, semi load only. There is a Church group out of Ellsworth WI at 60.00 cut, split and delivered for a fund raiser. It takes three face cords to equal a full cord. Check papers and internet there is a lot out there in our area.

Good lUxk,
CB E-Classic 2300

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 07:21:55 PM »

Yeah I saw that Ellsworth add too.  This guy was out of New Richmond.  Hopefully won't need to buy much more this year.  I'm hoping it warms up a bit by the time I get low.
Hudson, WI

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 06:23:39 AM »

Just had a guy call me last week.  Said he will deliver cut mixed wood (mostly hard wood) for $40/face cord.
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 03:48:29 PM »

Just had a guy call me last week.  Said he will deliver cut mixed wood (mostly hard wood) for $40/face cord.
that sounds like a good deal ..if you absolutely need some wood.. but think of the fun you are missing in the bush,,,tractor stuck...trees hung up in trees.. trying to finish the day with a dull chain because you forgot the spares back at the road. wet feet, dry mouth.

have a good one boys
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 04:05:58 PM »

But Willie,,,,,,,,,,,, you forgot all about the hornets nest in the top of the tree you just fell.

And a cord of wood, 128 cu. ft., split and stacked for you to pick up sells for $130 in western WV.  He delivers it locally for $20, and will stack it in your shed, or on your porch for you at no extra cost. 
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

scross

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 06:57:44 PM »

The price and quality can vary in Northern Lower Michigan. A face cord will cost about $60.00 delivered.  I can buy a pulp cord, 4' x 8' x 8' long, for $85.00 a cord with a minimum of 10 pulp cords.  You of course have to cut it to length and split it yourself.  You might be able to get 50 cord of wood if you cut it to 16" logs. This brings the price down significantly.

I cut my wood on our property about 75 miles from my house. Which isn't convenient, but it allows me time to spend at our cabin.  I haul the wood in my short box truck (6' bed) and a small trailer (4' x 4').  The wood is level in the truck and about the same height as the truck's box in the trailer.  Stacked it is about 1 1/4" cord. 

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 11:53:20 AM »

I called that same 150.00/cord guy back and asked him how much for like 4 cords... he said 400.00 delivered.

....He dropped off the first 4 truckloads this morning.  The other half will be here next week.
At this price I may have to add Stabil to my saw!
Hudson, WI