Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: NCB-250 COAL  (Read 14448 times)

MD20/20

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: 325G
    • View Profile
Re: NCB-250 COAL
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 06:30:21 PM »

I also had a problem with ash backing up just in front of the blower. The ash pan is not long enough to get it, so every so often I stick a shovel back there and pull out the ash.

I've been trying to burn "stove" coal in it and I love it, but eventually the grates get clogged and results in not enough air being delivered to the coal. I want to find some retro fit for shaker grates...I don't have them now. Thinking about some type of pan with holes that can tossed a bit. Any thoughts?
Central MD

JDfarmer

• OWF Brand: NCB 250 coal
  • OWF Model: NCB 250 Coal
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 05:21:04 PM »

I generally don't burn anything in the very back.
I haven't had any clogging issues but I get a super intense fire through the chimney if i have wood in the vary back of the firebox. With coal I burn everything in the middle of the firebox.
What's a stove coal?
I use anthrocite.
Have you tried that? Can you burn that in your boiler?

I also had a problem with ash backing up just in front of the blower. The ash pan is not long enough to get it, so every so often I stick a shovel back there and pull out the ash.

I've been trying to burn "stove" coal in it and I love it, but eventually the grates get clogged and results in not enough air being delivered to the coal. I want to find some retro fit for shaker grates...I don't have them now. Thinking about some type of pan with holes that can tossed a bit. Any thoughts?

MD20/20

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 05:48:40 PM »

It's anthracite- I believe "stove" coal refers to the size...averages about 2.5"X2". It will eventually burn everything in the back, but clearly the hottest/most air seems to be in the front of the boiler. Looses way to much heat up the chimney, in general, imo.
Central MD

MD20/20

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 06:06:51 PM »

I don't have shaker grates, so I have been tinkering with different techniques to "shake" it, but after about 2 days. it always gets clogged. I want to make a retro shaker grate, but need some input from the members.
Central MD

MD20/20

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 07:37:43 PM »

It's not a coal burner, but NC says it can burn coal and I believe a few others on this site burn it without the shaker grates. It does have the forced air and fire brick under the fire. the fire brick doesn't go up the sides.
Central MD

allis48

• OWF Brand: natures comfort
  • OWF Model: ncb250
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »

i put some lump coal on top of the wood when I fill it works just fine
Pages: 1 2 [3]