Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wood Questions??  (Read 7592 times)

vinrum

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Wood Questions??
« on: July 11, 2010, 04:33:53 AM »

I am new to the outdoor wood furnace world..This will be my first winter using one.. I need a little feedback on what woods are good to burn, and what wood are not.. If the wood should be split or thrown in whole..I am getting alot of mixed reaction from another site that doesnt really like OWB..  I am going to be burning some softwood, I have it in log lengths for about 3 years, they are about 18-24 inch diameter, should those be split? Or just cut to sizes big enough to lift....Looking forward to your feed back

Steve

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Re: Wood Questions??
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 08:28:13 AM »

At the very least, halve the logs.  They'll burn better that way.  Quartered burns even better.  If the wood is free, there is very little bad wood to burn.  Some woods burn longer and cleaner than others, it all depends on how often you want to stuff wood in the furnace and how much smoke you and your neighbors can deal with.  If you don't have to worry about the smoke, then by all means burn your soft wood.  For better results, mix it with some hard wood too.  In the spring and fall when the heat load is low, my parents have a mountain of pine they burn heat their water and keep warm at night.  When it's cold, they switch to hard wood.  YMMV

vinrum

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 06:55:29 PM »

Judd, thanks for the reply..I was told I would get longer burn times when the logs arent split..But if you say that they burn better, I will try that.  First year with the new toy, I am kinda looking forward to doing the wood..I know, that wont last long...As for the smoke, Its really not a concern,(no neighbors).  Just a thought..Would it be worth it for me to burn pine during the day, when there isnt much calling for heat? Or will it burn out to fast?  What I am asking is, do you think that a load of pine will last 6-8 hrs with not much call for heat..The only reason I ask, I have a bunch of pine logs that been sitting it 10ft lengths for about 2-3 years, and I would like to get rid of them

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:24:02 PM »

i burn 2x4 spruce at teh beginning of the season from the local truss company...you put more in but they last 12 hours in the not so cold weather. october in ontario
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

vinrum

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 03:34:42 AM »

Willie, thats what I was hoping to hear..  LOL...I have a feeling that you guys are going to hear alot from me this burning season,,My first year with a Heatmor

Thanks
Steve

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 11:46:56 AM »

It'll be my first year with a Heatmor as well  :)  Which one did you get?
My parents have been running theirs for a while though.  I've been a tree guy for 11 years now so I know a thing or two about wood and I'm a professional firefighter as my main job so I know a thing or two about fires.  It's not rocket science, but some people over complicate a simple thing.  If you don't want to mess with splitting the logs, toss them in and see how they do.  If they burn out while idling, you'll know better for next time.  The gassifiers are a bit more temperamental as to what you burn mostly because they are paired with lots of hot water storage that keeps them idling for longer periods of time. 

By chance, would the site that doesn't like OWB be hearth?  They have a lot of good information there, but as a whole they are a gassifier community that doesn't like not burning the products of combustion. 

vinrum

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 03:34:13 AM »

Yes, I agree with you about alot of good information..also it is a big gassifier community.  I picked up a 2 year old 400 series this spring..I got it for a very good price with all the pumps, plate exchangers, all the fittings..I just need to run my line underground and hook her up..That project will be done in Sept., to dam hot now..So now I am trying to gather as much wood as I can, because I know the first year I will burn more than I should..I am hearing different wood usage from other people, so I am going to try to stay on the high side and if I have some left over, it will be my start to next year..What are the chances of that happening??LOL..How much do you figure you burn this winter?

Steve

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 09:08:44 AM »

I cut all my wood at 22" long so that I can get 5 rows into the wood shed.And split anything over 12" so that if the Mrs.ever has to load the stove she would not have any trouble.

Ron

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:00:20 PM by R W Ohio »
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

vinrum

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 03:20:43 PM »

I was offered a large amount of telephone poles (broken) today for 150.00 a load..Probably 75-80 of them all about 15 ft long..Anyone ever burn them?  Not to sure if its legal? I told the guys I would have to get back to them

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »

I never burned power line poles because of the way they are treated.And I don't think that I would even if they were free for the taking.

Ron
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 08:31:47 PM »

I wouldn't burn them.  They would smoke some bad stuff and really gum up the inside of your furnace.  Besides, a cord of mixed and split hardwood delivered is about the same price...

vinrum

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 03:23:23 AM »

Anyone burn birch or hemlock..I have a chance to grab a bunch, but not sure how it burns..white birch and black birch

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 10:13:22 AM »

hemlock is a soft wood and will burn quick, birch is a harder wood and i would grab as much as you can,  as far as amount used, the first year i found myself packing it full. dont, 3 or 4 logs will burn for 12 hrs in most cases, at least for me it always has, i used 6 to 7 cord last year but that is misleading because if i split everthing it would be alot more. my rule is, if i can lift it and it fits in the stove, let it alone, having said that , after `12" inch round, i usually split it.  you can burn rotten wood that has been laying a long time, just do it early in the year. as for telephone poles, the old ones were cresoted and that would smoke so bad a ten mile area around you would hate you forever.
Newrichmond, Ohio

mober

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 11:17:46 AM »

what do you guys think ill need for wood for 1600 sf double wide house just heat no hot water...
michigan weather...100 gallon water capacity home made boiler out of propane tank with lots of insulation sitting in cinder block shed not steel siding 10 feet from the house?
what will be the diffrent in cords between hardwood and pine?
i got abot 4 cords ready mix of hardwood and pine and just trying to figure out what total will i need for my first year.
thanks.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 03:51:03 PM »

mober..i will make a gues of 6 to 8 (to make you feel good) and 7 to ten (to make sure you have enough)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada
Pages: [1] 2