Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question for the folks that use 15-20 cords  (Read 6643 times)

Banna

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Question for the folks that use 15-20 cords
« on: January 23, 2015, 07:12:07 AM »

Hello All,

I live in the South so naturally wood usage around these parts is a lot less that you guys up North. When I was burning inside I would need 10 -12 ric for the year. This is my first year with an OWB so the jury is still out on my usage.

I read post where people talk about using 20 cords a year. That just blows my mind. I can not imagine the time/ labor it takes just to get one years of wood together.

I work on my stash as I have time in the evenings and weekends and it keeps me busy.  I really don't think that I could do 20 cords in a year.  How do you do it?????

kommandokenny

• OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
  • smokem if ya gottem NEAR NORTH ONTARIO
    • View Profile
Re: Question for the folks that use 15-20 cords
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 07:33:35 AM »

I'm not sure, but maybe the 20 chords a year pertains to face chords.
Face chords are 1/3 the volume of a tru chord.
This could be the mix up.
If someone was burning 20 tru chords of wood, they would be heating a small village.... imo.

KK

PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
Echo CS 310 [grandaughters]
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

Brad

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 07:47:20 AM »

Hello,

I will chime in.  I live in Northern MN and I fire the boiler up in Oct and sometimes don't shut it down until June.  I don't know exactly how many cord I burn but I can tell you it's a lot.  If I have to guess I would say between 12-15, maybe more.  It's obviously a HUGE commitment and one really has to enjoy handling wood and all that comes with that.  To keep warm it's just what you do. This year we don't have much snow so I'm out in my woods nearly every weekend. I don't know if I will ever get to a point where I am 2 years ahead but I'm really only focused on 1 season at a time.  I burn mostly "green" oak, ash and popple and I split it by hand and it works just fine.  When I do find a good deal on a truck load I buy it and that helps cut down on the trips to the woods so that saves me a little time too.
Aitkin, Minnesota

kommandokenny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 08:33:20 AM »

I'm in north central Ontario and usually have the A/C on by June :bag:

My boiler season starts in Nov and ends in April.
We burn a bit of propane and use the Elmira if it gets chilly off season.
The idle time on the boiler does not support it's use in warm weather.

I guess I could try running it into BlackFly season,,,, and smoke the #$%%% ''s out >:D

Everyone's situation is different, but I still think burning 20 bush chords of wood, specially if your buy$ng it, is over the top.
M.O.
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

cartod

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 10,000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 10:06:49 AM »

Look at the money I am saving on natural gas and a gym membership.  It is my excercise program and free heat rolled into one. 

lindnova

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 200 CSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 10:14:31 AM »

Hello,

I will chime in.  I live in Northern MN and I fire the boiler up in Oct and sometimes don't shut it down until June.  I don't know exactly how many cord I burn but I can tell you it's a lot.  If I have to guess I would say between 12-15, maybe more.  It's obviously a HUGE commitment and one really has to enjoy handling wood and all that comes with that.  To keep warm it's just what you do. This year we don't have much snow so I'm out in my woods nearly every weekend. I don't know if I will ever get to a point where I am 2 years ahead but I'm really only focused on 1 season at a time.  I burn mostly "green" oak, ash and popple and I split it by hand and it works just fine.  When I do find a good deal on a truck load I buy it and that helps cut down on the trips to the woods so that saves me a little time too.
I agree with that except I like dry wood - less smoke.

I measured the shed and stacks for this winter and I had 12 cords.  I think I went thru all of that and maybe a little more last winter.  This is heating a 1500 sf well insulated ranch with basement and a 1200 sf garage and dhw.  I think the garage uses 3/4 of the load. 

I burn a good mix of dry wood.  Some oak, some box elder, a lot of elm and cherry depending on the year.  I have managed to get about 25 cord split and stacked in back right now and am still cutting with little snow this winter.  Probably will be 3 years ahead by May.  I cut 18-24" and split once over 12" or to make manageable. 
Stihl ms260, ms362, msS461
Huskee 22 TN Splitter
Kubota BX2200 w/ Loader

Brad

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 10:30:20 AM »

Hello,

I agree with that except I like dry wood - less smoke.

I measured the shed and stacks for this winter and I had 12 cords.  I think I went thru all of that and maybe a little more last winter.  This is heating a 1500 sf well insulated ranch with basement and a 1200 sf garage and dhw.  I think the garage uses 3/4 of the load. 

I burn a good mix of dry wood.  Some oak, some box elder, a lot of elm and cherry depending on the year.  I have managed to get about 25 cord split and stacked in back right now and am still cutting with little snow this winter.  Probably will be 3 years ahead by May.  I cut 18-24" and split once over 12" or to make manageable.
I certainly would prefer to burn dry wood but unfortunately I burn what I can.  I have been cutting as much dead fall in our woods as I can and do mix that in with the green stuff.  Everyone around me burns wood and I don't really have any "neighbors" so if the green stuff smokes a bit more so be it..
Aitkin, Minnesota

kommandokenny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »

Banna,,
To help with your original post ,it depends on how much you have to heat + other variables .
We got people heating two buildings and hot tubs/swimming pools etc .
They would be burning more wood,obviously.
But I doubt 20 chords @ 4x8x4.
So you got to weigh out what your heating .
And you say your in a warmer climate?

My example is, 1600 sq.ft. bungalo +basement.
1 line out.of boiler
Woodmaster 4400 burns 5 or 6 bush chords in a 6 month season and it's cold here!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:09:26 PM by kommandokenny »
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

Sluggo

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: 20,000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 11:50:58 AM »

I'm heating 8,000sq ft with 16' and 10' ceilings.  Also two dhw.  This is my first yea with this particular stove.  For a whil I was on pace to burn 20 cord.  Not face cord.  Thanks to a warm January im thinking it's going to be more around 17 cord.  I have a skidsteer and all I he toys to mount on my he front of it.  With the right equipment it's nothing to pull 10-15 cord in a weekend.  You hav to love it!
Stihl 441
Stihl 660
Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Bobcat T190
Grapple
Farmi 501 Winch
2015 3500 Crew Cab HIGH COUNTRY Duramax

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 12:27:42 PM »

Last year the old man burned in the neighborhood of 23 PULP WOOD CORD (A little over 2 semi loads worth) in East Central MN; he is heating a bit over 7000 sf (2 structures), and DHW. 

What also makes this 23 number look so large was first 6-7 cords were junky/punky birch and maple; that combined with a record setting year of cold (I know it was top 10 in recorded history, might have even broken into top 5)

How do you cut that much wood you say; the combination of owning a portable saw mill (lots of slabs to burn) and a strong son like me.  Last spring he bought to semi loads of "junk" logs (mixed ash/maple, he could not sell to mill) from a family freind who is a logger.  In one four-day week end we (dad, myself, my mom and my two little 18 month old munchkin helper) blocked split and piles 14 cords.  If we would have had another working saw, I am thinking we woudl have knocked out the whole 20 cords

kommandokenny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 01:14:43 PM »

With the right equipment it's nothing to pull 10-15 cord in a weekend.  You hav to love it!

Your a better man than I,,, if you can cut , buck, split and stack 15 chords in a weekend.
How many employees or kids ya got? :o :post:
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

kommandokenny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 01:24:33 PM »

Last year the old man burned in the neighborhood of 23 PULP WOOD CORD (A little over 2 semi loads worth) in East Central MN; he is heating a bit over 7000 sf (2 structures), and DHW. 
s

So, like I said, you got to weigh out what your heating ,,,,,a small village,, or a well insulated avg. size house.
The guys doing 20 chords have help and the proper equipment :thumbup:
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 02:51:49 PM »

I average about 15-18 cords per yr I also hv the equipment and perseverance to keep dragging logs and splitting anything to not pay the propane fuel bill.. I actually enjoy doing it it's kinda therapy to me... So it's what you want and need what decide what to do.
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)

kommandokenny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 03:21:03 PM »

I average about 15-18 cords per yr I also hv the equipment and perseverance to keep dragging logs and splitting anything to not pay the propane fuel bill.. I actually enjoy doing it it's kinda therapy to me... So it's what you want and need what decide what to do.

I think what's important to the poster,, and myself ...is.. what are you heating that requires that much wood??
Wood = sq.ft.    etc.. temp outside distance to house on and on ......... :post:
Best way the poster is gonna get a handle on wood consumption
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:26:09 PM by kommandokenny »
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

Big Wood

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler Heatsource 1
  • OWF Model: E-2300 Model 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 06:33:15 PM »

It all boilers down to the cost and the heat you get out of your boiler   15 to 20 cord wood x135.00 = 2700.00  how mush oil 2000 gal to heat my house 3.00 a gal 6000.00 i need to keep my thermostats at 68 maybe plus i want a hot shower oil 5 min outdoor boiler stay as long as you want plus with wood you keep your money local need i say more i can keep going gym fee 30 dollars a month you don't have to mess with i can keep going
Outdoor wood boiler repair and help
Pages: [1] 2