Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: What to do when on vacation??  (Read 6463 times)

justinb

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
What to do when on vacation??
« on: February 02, 2015, 07:49:49 AM »

I'll be leaving for a little fun in the sun in 2 weeks, and am not sure the best approach to take with the OWB as this is my first year.  I know that I need to keep the water pump running.  Is it best to let it burn down to ash, or shut it down with some coals left?  Not sure if I could get the coals to light back up when I return.  I want to have the OWB off, and the house furnace on before I leave for peace of mind.
Stihl 251
Stihl 461

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: What to do when on vacation??
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:09:17 AM »

I always like to leave a bit of wood in the stove for easy fire up on my return and shut the blower off, if you have a conventional unit you may want to cap off the chimney or you will come back to no wood and possibly a stove full of snow and ice!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

caper

• OWF Brand: heatmaster 5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 08:44:43 AM »

I think a lot has to do with the weather, I have not gone down south in a few yrs (little ones) but its gettn close again ,,I think if its in prime winter with cold conditions id drain everything, shut my pumps off and clean the furnace really quick, full of cardboard and dry kinlin, however for my return, however if its early spring I think I would just let the fire go out and shut the blower off....I have been thinking of this a lot lately as well...
husky 555
Toyota 4x4
grizzly 700
Harley Street Glide
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Canada

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 10:39:09 AM »

...show the nieghbor how to fire your stove, and buy him soon beer for his hassle

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 11:44:33 AM »

Are you using a water/air HX in the ductwork your furnace shares?  If so, the furnace will keep the water in your boiler from freezing if you keep the water circulating. 

I'd let the fire go out and clean your boiler firebox well before you leave (no ash, scrape, creosote, etc.).  Setup your wood and kindling like you'd normally start a new fire in the firebox.  Cap your chimney if water/snow can easily migrate into the firebox through the chimney.  Shut down the blower if you have one.  Enjoy vacation.  Don't have your neighbor stoke your fire if he's not familiar with keeping one running 24/7 because inevitably it'll go out and he'll have to call you during vacation to tell him how to restart it. 

MiHawkeye

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heiss Heater
  • OWF Model: gasifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 07:14:35 AM »

I have propane back up heat.  Everytime I have went away for more than a few days, I let the fire go out about 1 day before we leave, then shut the blower off, and re-wire the thermostat to run off propane as primary source (done it enough that it is a 2 second fix).  I just use the time it is down as a mid-winter clean and when I get back shop vac all the ashes out and get it nice and sparkly.  then fire it back up like its old times!  I always leave the pump on the lowest setting too, that way the water doesn't freeze in the boiler.  The heat from the furnace blowing over the heat exchanger in the plume usually keeps the water about 80-100 degrees when I get back too.

dukethebeagle

• OWF Brand: green mountain woodhog(home built)
  • OWF Model: 0001 hot tamali
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 08:05:34 AM »

hey littlejohn,can i go make fire at your place ;)
austin qc
bluegrass rules
pround canadian living in quebec
proud appalachian

lindnova

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 200 CSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 08:35:54 AM »

I installed an extra aquastat on mine to turn the blower fan off when the water temp goes below 140°.  If I go away for a weekend I turn up the garage and basement floor heat the day before I leave.  I don't have any backup for the garage, but the propane furnace would heat the exchanger that is plumbed before the floor heat exchanger.

With the garage and basement overheated when I leave it might go 2 days on a load of wood on an average winter day before the propane goes on if I turn the thermostats down in the house.

The aquastat has also worked well when I run out of wood.  Instead of blowing all the cold air thru the unit it stops and holds coals when I reload.  I did install a switch to bypass the aquatsat when I need to get it going again.
Stihl ms260, ms362, msS461
Huskee 22 TN Splitter
Kubota BX2200 w/ Loader

kommandokenny

• OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
  • smokem if ya gottem NEAR NORTH ONTARIO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 11:01:58 AM »

I can add that I would not let anyone that doesn't know the Owb routine, watch it.
It's inevitable that they will leave the door open or the ash door or damper rod open.
You get a boil over,,, then a phone call.

OR ,, wood consumption is different day to day and it will flame out.
No one can take care of your stuff like you can.
My daughter [33] can fill up the the stove, but no way I'm leaving her in charge for more than a day

Have a neighbour check the pump  and the generator if theres a power outage.
my 3 cents....

kk
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
Echo CS 310 [grandaughters]
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

justinb

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 03:03:23 PM »

Thanks guys...I don't have close neighbors so that is out.  Looks like I'll just let it burn out and leave the pump on.  I have a heat exchanger in my forced air furnace so that should keep the lines safe.  I've never heard about an "aquastat".  That sounds very interesting for a future add on. 
Stihl 251
Stihl 461