Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fire safety  (Read 4117 times)

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Fire safety
« on: June 24, 2015, 05:36:20 AM »

Recently I was made aware of a fire involving one of our units that had been installed inside a wooden structure, not a good or common sense move by the owner, ironically on my way to the Yoder's dealer meeting I stopped at another customers home in southern PA that has another of our units, this one was installed by a service guy that is familiar with installation, he installed this unit with only 4 inches of clearance above the unit to bone dry spruce framing and wooden pallets on the floor that butted right up to the legs of the boiler on all sides, PLEASE use your heads folks, even if the owners manual says that the unit can be installed indoors and the boiler is cool to the touch, keep in mind that you will have live sparks and possibly flashback that occurs when opening up the feed door or cleaning ash, I would rather not sell the unit at all than to see somebody lose a building or possibly hurt someone in a fire, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL ANY OUTDOOR WOOD BOILER inside a wooden structure that does not have proper clearances to combustible materials and NEVER store any amount of any flammable fuels such as gasoline, diesel, paint or anything of the sort that can produce fumes within the structure
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Fire safety
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 05:50:29 AM »

Note, after seeing this, I insisted the structure be removed to a safe distance from the unit and after explaining to the customer the fire hazard, he was more than happy to comply, Dealers and owners of OWBs, Please don't let your desire to stay dry and out of the wind burn down the building housing your unit, these boilers are ALL meant to be OUTDOOR wood boilers, you are already dressed for the outdoors when you go out to feed it and are only there for a few minutes, in the words of Mr. Bill Turple, who said this to a potential customer at one of the shows that I did with him, in a Nova Scotia accent, when the person said that they did not wish to go outside twice a day to feed the boiler,( For God sakes man, you have to go outside at least twice a day if only to blow the stink off of ya )

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 06:16:02 AM »

What's up with the recirc pump?

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 06:34:17 AM »

It is simply there to maintain an even temp throughout the boiler, I think the industry would be wise to utilize all ports on gassers as they tend to be extreme in certain spots without proper flow!

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 09:26:41 AM »

I’m going to place a roof over the next one , but leave the sides open so I can place racks of wood under the roof with either the forklift or the skid steer. Have several flashing brakes here at the farm and was going to clad any exposed wood with flashing, going to use steel shingles on the roof.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 11:43:58 AM »

This is how to stay out og the weather and still have a roof over your head, by the way the stove was eventually turned 90* to the left and actually installed, picture is a bit dated, but the best angle I had.

Wall opposite open face has a pass-thru cut out so I can load approximately 1/2 pulp wood cord under the roof

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=446

Big Wood

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler Heatsource 1
  • OWF Model: E-2300 Model 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 04:36:45 AM »

Points well made
Outdoor wood boiler repair and help

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 11:40:18 AM »

Good advice, Slim.  What kind of fittings are you using with those thermometers?
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 12:03:21 PM »

The G 200 has 1 inch ports, I use a 1x 1/2 bull nose tee, the temp gauge goes into the 1/2 inch port on the end and the 1 inch for plumbing.

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 04:36:29 PM »

Got to make a comment on fire safety. You are so right Slim, why would anyone take a stove out of the house because it is a fire hazard and then put it in a wood shed with all their firewood and feel it is safer? I have seen lawnmowers , chainsaws, gas and even tractors in the same building with a wood stove. Know of one person with an outdoor furnace used it two years outside no problem. Built a shed around it, filled it with wood and burned it down in 60 days. Stove looked like a burned out car but it still had water in it and we rewired it and is running today. 409 stainless- no leaks. An outdoor furnace is made of steel and water, you have to add external fuel in the form of a building or firewood to burn one up. Use your head, keep it safe.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 06:09:04 PM »

As the laws get tougher people are putting them in side to hide there units , I no one guy by me has it in  a barn, the town was really busting his chops so he put it in side and they can't say anything now because its a inside heating unit!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 08:35:10 PM »

Yep, suddenly these outside wood boilers that are illegal are legal when inside of a shed.  They're also out of sight, so they can't be inspected from afar and penalties hurled without first obtaining a search warrant.  Be smart about putting them inside of sheds, but at the same time, why not?  You're not living in the shed, you typically don't keep your valuables in there, and you're not going to go inside if the shed is on fire.  Yeah, you don't want your shed and firewood stash and boiler to burn up, but in the end, if it does, all you've lost is a cheap shed, a boiler (which is mostly rebuildable), and a firewood stash. 

The install at my last house had an open sided structure with the roof half covering the boiler so my firewood was dry under cover and you could load the boiler, under cover.  It was fantastic.  At this house, I plan on getting a cheap carport to do the same thing.  An all steel structure isn't very flammable and it's absolutely glorious not to have to dig your firewood out of the snow or uncover it with a tarp in the rain. 

ijon

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 04:32:21 AM »

Yep, suddenly these outside wood boilers that are illegal are legal when inside of a shed.  They're also out of sight, so they can't be inspected from afar and penalties hurled without first obtaining a search warrant.  Be smart about putting them inside of sheds, but at the same time, why not?  You're not living in the shed, you typically don't keep your valuables in there, and you're not going to go inside if the shed is on fire.  Yeah, you don't want your shed and firewood stash and boiler to burn up, but in the end, if it does, all you've lost is a cheap shed, a boiler (which is mostly rebuildable), and a firewood stash. 

The install at my last house had an open sided structure with the roof half covering the boiler so my firewood was dry under cover and you could load the boiler, under cover.  It was fantastic.  At this house, I plan on getting a cheap carport to do the same thing.  An all steel structure isn't very flammable and it's absolutely glorious not to have to dig your firewood out of the snow or uncover it with a tarp in the rain.

Good post. Epa needs to get out of our life,
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 12:21:26 PM by mlappin »
installed in 2014

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 12:11:27 PM »

My little 3 sided wind break houses the following:
    • about 1/2 cord of firewood (to be burned into OWB, within a week)
    • outdoor electrical panel to split power from transformer to both house and shop
    • back up generator
    • and a few random hand/yard tools
    ...and the indirect fired grill  8)