Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I lost an old friend Friday morning  (Read 4243 times)

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
I lost an old friend Friday morning
« on: August 02, 2015, 05:00:10 AM »

Those of you who have met me in person probably have met my old hound dog Samantha, Sam put a lot of miles in with Dan and I, we did a lot of shows together as well as traveled to installs. If the old Ford was on the road, she always wanted to go on the camping trip, she was such a great traveling companion for us, I left home last wednesday bound for Vermont and a quick tie in, we decided that with the heat to leave Sam at home, Mary Lou called us a few hours from home on the return leg to let us know that she had passed away peacefully here on the property! Sam has been with me since she chose to walk into our home and lives 13 years ago, she was at the time estimated to be 2 years old. She will be sadly missed by us all here at home and I'm sure by our old customers that have had the pleasure of meeting her! If you have a dog, Please spend time with it as we have with Sam! My uncle, whom I got my Love of dogs from has a plaque on the wall of his pool room that says ( Heaven is where all the dogs you have ever loved, come to greet you at the gate), I am 53 years old and have never nor will I ever be without a dog, truly mans best friend!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: I lost an old friend Friday morning
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 05:03:37 AM »

I'll try to post a couple of pics of my old friend, I would welcome those of you who feel as I do about your dogs to do the same!

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 05:19:22 AM »

Slimjim - I'm sorry to hear of your loss.  That's a beautiful friend you had there.  Every time I lost a friend, whether it be the 2 legged type or 4 legged type, I like to think of them as being present, only this time in spirit, not body.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

fireman69lfd

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 08:39:29 AM »

Sorry to hear Slim. I love mine like my kid.
I saw that you were in Chester and Rutland recently, I honestly didn't know that this was part of your playground.
Russ
Near Okemo Mtn. Ski area Vermont

yotehunter66

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:23:28 AM »

Sorry for your loss Slim. I wish you and your family well.
Husky 372xp 24"
Makita DCS520i 20"
Poulan 2300 18"
Macullough Eager Beaver 2.3 18"
Troybilt 27 ton log splitter

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 08:57:39 PM »

sorry for your loss Slim. My neighbour had a young hound that ran the roads and I always stopped and picked him up. He liked to go to the bush with me when he heard my tractor start. he could hear (or so it seemed) it from about 3/4 mile. My son lives next to my property and then the owner of the dog lives beside him. If I went to my son's first the dog would come over and jump right in my truck. He was hit on the road this past Saturday and the owner put him down. He was not even my dog but I felt so sorry for him, he was a goer.

here he is riding in my truck on the way from my sons back to his own home

RIP Ferguson
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ijon

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 02:56:35 AM »

Pets become part of the family. Our family had a grade mare for twenty-three years and she was acting like a filly during a early snow storm and broke her leg. She lay out there winning for me to help her. Had the vet come and put her down. My kids grew up riding her and the neighbor girl grew up ridding her. My son and his buddy next door used to load her up with fishing poles and lunch and the both of them would go fishing over at the river.  Everybody was mess when she was put down.
installed in 2014

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 03:34:25 AM »

Thanks guys, pets are great friends, they have gotten me through some tuff times over the years without ever once telling me I'm wrong, I have been blessed with many good dogs and Sam was one of the best!

Cabo

• OWF Brand: P & M
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 04:21:25 AM »

Sorry to hear that Slim.  The wife and I enjoyed having her here last year during the install. 

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 05:00:57 AM »

Thanks Ken, we almost brought her with us on that last trip but figured better as it was so hot, I'm glad she stayed home and passed here.

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 10:06:32 AM »

I'm very sorry to hear about your dog, Slim.  I  We lost our 5 year old lab (Rebel) last year.  He ran the roads around our house his entire life and learned from the dog that lives a mile down the road that when a car was coming, he needed to get in the ditch until it had passed.  After that it was ok to get back on the road.  He was good at it and I never worried about him at all.  Last year, the mail lady pulled up in front of the house.  She was a subsitute mail lady and wasn't familiar with our dog.  He ran out to her jeep as she pulled up, tail wagging and happy that we had a visitor.  For some reason, in an attempt to get away from our dog after the mail had been deliverd, she hammered the gas in her vehicle without first verifying where the dog was.  He just happened to be right in front of the vehicle and she ran him over.  He ran back across the road onto our property and laid in the ditch as my wife and I ran out to him.  It didn't take long at all before he was gone.  We were in the processes of getting ready to attend a funeral and we had someone watching our 8 year old daughter for the day.  When I went to pick my daughter up after the funeral she was in a great mood and happy as usual.  It broke my heart to tell her the news in the truck on the way home.  I had brought him around back before he headed to town as I didn't have time to deal with anything at the moment.  We all came home later and put him to rest as a family. 

My wife was 6 months pregnant at the time this happened.  We went a few weeks and just couldn't get used to not having a dog around.  It really is crazy when you realize how much they can be a part of your life.  My wife was still in the habit of turning around while cooking dinner to give him a little treat of what we were having.  She would take it pretty hard every time she realized there wasn't a happy dog patiently waiting for her. 

We decided that if we were going to get another dog that we needed to make that decision soon before our newborn son arrived.  We changed our mind several times within the course of a week or two until we saw that a friend of hers was selling lab pups on Facebook. We said we were just going to stop by and take a look at them, but you know how that goes.  We ended up falling in love again and brought one home a week later.  We had forgot about just how bad that puppy stage is, especially with labs.  Our new dog, Ryder, is still hyper as can be and is about 9 months old now.   He's great with my 6 month old son as you can see in the picture.  We're still working on a lot of things but he's getting there.

Even though you can't replace the dog you had, I hope that you can find comfort in a different dog to share the loyalty and friendship that you did with Samantha. 

Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 05:17:58 PM »

WOW, Thank you for sharing AFP, yes I will definitely be looking for another friend but at the moment we still have a male that is about 6 years old and an old lab of about 14, we will see how it all works out!

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 08:15:47 PM »

Tammy’s two Australian Shepard’s, the little one in the bowl is 14 lbs of hell, doesn’t really like anybody except the wife and I, she’ll be the first and last miniature on the farm, her momma standing behind her likes everybody including cats, kittens, and little kids.

Mine, 70lb teddy bear, he likes everybody except muskrats, possums and raccoons, even lets the cats sleep with him during the winter.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:23:42 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

woodbutcher

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 07:07:56 AM »

Sorry for your loss Slim. It's hard to lose a member of the family. Pets are always loyal. There is and old saying, lock your wife and dog in the trunk of a car and after a 1/2 hour, see which one is glad to see you. I've lost a lot of old friends in the last 60 years and it never gets any easier. 

american-pacemaker

• OWF Brand: P & M
  • OWF Model: OPTIMIZER 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 01:03:16 PM »

Slim, very sorry for your loss. Glad I had the pleasure of meeting her a few times at my house and rest well knowing how
well you cared for her.
Pages: [1] 2