Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: does my 6048 have a fan in it?  (Read 15407 times)

adamant

• View Profile
    • my pic site
does my 6048 have a fan in it?
« on: October 19, 2008, 06:13:15 AM »

was out there today to check on her and the damper was open and it
sounded like there was a fan running. even after the damper closed i
can hear it .. is there a fan?

gas forced hot air/gas hot water
buck supreme insert 2/14/1991 to 2/21 2007 (rip)
LOPI freedom bay insert. (present)
central boiler classic 6048

NEW JERSEY

what we do on the weekends
http://community.webshots.com/user/adamant117

http://adamant.pictiger.com/

Steve

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: does my 6048 have a fan in it?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:52:19 AM »

I don't have a Central Boiler, but I did a lot of research on them when purchasing my owb.  My understanding is that Central Classics use a natural draft, but I think a fan can be installed as an added option. 

If you know the damper closed, there shouldn't be any fan noise if you do have one.  I also believe Central recommends the circulating pump be installed on the side of the boiler in the service compartment.  Maybe you were hearing the pump? 

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 10:08:26 PM »

Did you figure out what the noise was?  I hear it on my 6048 also.  Is that the noise of the relay holding the door open?
Hudson, WI

adamant

• View Profile
    • my pic site
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 04:48:44 AM »

no not in the relay area..(different sound) sounds like it is coming from under the roof..

NEW JERSEY

jon d

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 11:18:21 AM »

First year with 5036.. Havn't heard much noise with the damper closed , just the very quiet hum of the pumps.
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 03:02:18 PM »

I have a little buzzing noise coming from the door.  The damper was shut for the first time today and I listened for that buzzing and it was gone.  I have no idea what noise could be coming from the roof though...? 

It's not a steam leak or something is it...?
Hudson, WI

jon d

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 10:51:06 PM »

It should not creating any steam. I have no ideal what noise you'd hear from the roof. Make sure your plastic/metal fill cap is not to tight.??? Really don't know.. mine's quiet after damper's closed..
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 05:02:36 PM »

If you're sure your damper is closed it's more than likely the pump.  It should be a very low sound and you'll here it all the time.  If you're not sure unplug your pump and then you'll know. 
Pomeroy, Ohio

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 05:47:59 PM »

Did you ever figure out what that noise was? :-\
Hudson, WI

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 06:05:58 PM »

Has anyone added a fan to their Central Boiler?  I'm thinking about installing a draft inducer to mine after 4 winters.  My unit burns pretty good (I have 3 sections of stack) but it just makes sense to me that a fan would create a hotter fire, burning more of the gases in the wood.  I do notice that sometimes when I open the door the fires flares slightly because of the extra boost of air it gets.  What do you think?
Pomeroy, Ohio

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 06:21:06 PM »

Has anyone added a fan to their Central Boiler?  I'm thinking about installing a draft inducer to mine after 4 winters.  My unit burns pretty good (I have 3 sections of stack) but it just makes sense to me that a fan would create a hotter fire, burning more of the gases in the wood.  I do notice that sometimes when I open the door the fires flares slightly because of the extra boost of air it gets.  What do you think?
i dont think it would hurt but the flash you see occasionally will still happen...this happens mostly on shutdown of the draft, after you have had a good burn going and you shut off the supply air the fire is still burning hot untill the air is used up, then the fire starts to die and cool down from lack of air but the wood is still hot and producing gas...gas with no air does not burn...if you open the door at just the right time the coals are hot enough to ignite the gas when they get that blast of fresh air from the open door
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

adamant

• View Profile
    • my pic site
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 06:45:51 PM »

ckbetz: is that a rhino in your avatar?

---------------
i found out what it was. the hot water.. after the damper closed (185 deg.) the water jacket under the roof is where it coming from..

NEW JERSEY

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 07:43:51 PM »

As far as that flash goes, WillieG is right.  I have a Hardy H5.  It has a big door on the front for wood and a small door below it, under the grates for the ash.  All Hardys have these 2 doors.  There's a great big red warning lable right beside the big door saying to always open the little door first or you may be subjected to a flash.  It's most likely to happen, as Willie said, right after the fan shuts down and the embers are still hot.  It's like a bomb going off inside the furnace-unreal how big and fast the fireball can be.  Sometimes if someone is over visiting I'll flare it on purpose just to scare them.  But in all seriousness if you don't realize that can happen you are at risk of serious burns.  My dealer was VERY insistent that we always open the lower door first.  That gets some air to the fire and the flare is contained inside the furnace where it belongs.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 09:35:27 PM »

Thanks guys, I didn't mean for what I described to sound like what you are talking about.  I was talking about a fire in a burn cycle that just simply burns a little better when I open the door.  I've experienced the flash too and know exactly what you mean.  I even timed it perfectly once (accidently) and had a "poof" that actually blew the door back at me.  Very interesting. 

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate your thoughts.  Wow this forum is growing with some good people on it now. :)

Almost forgot. Adamant, it's a Kawasaki Teryx.  It's a  little wider/longer than the rhino.  I love it, it rides over whoops like a cadillac and hauls as much as I can get it in, or as much as I can tow behind it.  Right now there are still a few '08's out there with some serious discounts.  I should be able to clean up around the property pretty well with it.  I don't have much flat and can't get my truck in and out of most places.  The added bonus is the family of four can all go riding with the jumpseat we put in the back.  We've had a blast with it so far.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:40:50 PM by ckbetz »
Pomeroy, Ohio

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 03:27:22 PM »

ckbetz...i think your idea of adding another blower to increase the air flow during a burn cycle is worth the effort..it is kind of a "research and development" thing soif i were to do it i would make a way to throttle the second blower down right from wide open to completely closed so you could "play" with the amount of air delivered to get the best results?

good luck and keep us posted if you go ahead with it
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada
Pages: [1] 2