Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: subzero 400 heating 6600sqft woodathon  (Read 2829 times)

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
subzero 400 heating 6600sqft woodathon
« on: January 09, 2017, 02:58:57 AM »

Im amazed it would still do a 10-12 hour burn at -18f and I don't have the dryest wood .. But a full 400 dcss
is alot of wood .. 1/4 of a real cord per load .. 4 days 2 clean outs 1 cord proof .. 6600sqft  first house 60f garage 50f shop 50f other house
76f there is a 400dcss work out .. There was char on the walls in side a pretty tan to white flakes . Thats the first real cold snap
I dealt with last winter was pretty wimpy .. But that thing can really burn the wood . I had frost caked to the surrounding trees by boiler from the chimney smoke .. those trees are 20 feet away from boiler and branches the where white with frost were about 10 feet away from chimney about 20 feet high . I have extension on smoke stack . Its a crazy stove BTU monster . theirs a bit of a secret
so get it to burn that hot . 6 inchs of coals 3 of the dryest 50 inch oak logs 4 inch dia and then fill until you cant fit no more in . it will get dam hot
between burns .. I think the dry logs force and moisture out of the above wood LOL  I had crazy psyco sparks shotting 30 foot high out of the chimney..  both the 200 I had before and 400 do burn alike difference its little trickier  on the 400 to get a full grate of coals going to start with before a full loading  anyone that has one will know what Im talking about ..

Heat550 :thumbup:

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
Re: subzero 400 heating 6600sqft woodathon
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 05:33:19 AM »

I have been experiencing the same cold snap....been burning through some wood for sure....only heating around 4,000 here tho....haven't stuffed it full yet but about 3/4 for 12hrs at night when it was -20. It does the trick....but it loves it WOOD! lol. I haven't been impressed with that front air box add on I bought. I have had it off for a month and been burning much better. I out it on last night for a test run and came out to boiler at 144....no good. I had 12 inches of coals but because it forces air up and back no air blows across coals.....I don't like it. switched it back to normal. I got some crazy firebrick designs I might mess around with this spring....haha

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
Re: subzero 400 heating 6600sqft woodathon
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 02:15:00 AM »

You know that draft shoot might work with dryer wood who knows .. barometer screws with us also .. tonight first mine did not want to burn it hold about 110f  and screw around the smoke was coming back down to the ground off chimney . I had dry wood in it to just cleaned out .  So I did the use wood chunks to block grate in all areas except where fire was burning hot and then it took off .. but wind changed from south west to straight out of the north also ..  so lesson is keep grates covered all times ... that right there
takes some serious wood  ... to keep coal bed going  :bag: Its burning like a freight train now -17f .... :thumbup:

Heat550

A.K.A wrestling with dragons  :thumbup: