Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: classic 560 edge performance.  (Read 1935 times)

Bud650

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: classic
  • OWF Model: classic Edge 560
    • View Profile
classic 560 edge performance.
« on: December 11, 2020, 09:02:16 PM »

Hi All. I just wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has a classic 560 edge.

To start with a little background on me and my experience with the classic wood boilers. I owned a 2011 classic 1400 biggest piece of crap I have ever bought. With that said I was hesitant to look at another classic boiler. With Efficiency Maine paying a third of the cost of a new boiler I was all in. started looking at the classic edge titanium line. All stainless steel firebox with removable air tubes and they say it runs at 91 percent efficient. 91 percent (Not so sure about that?).
Well, I bought an Edge titanium 560 in September and have been running it since the third week in September. I live on 14 acers and cut all my own wood. I am burning Oak, Beech, maple, and Birch. The wood I am burning this year was cut down one and a half years ago. 14 percent dry on my meter. I am heating 2,800 square feet of space that includes a 28 X 32 garage with in floor radiant heat. (The house was built in 2001). This past week has been the big test for me with the temps down to teens at night and thirty during the day time I am extremely impressed with the performance I am getting. I am loading the firebox once every 24 hours. I am only loading it three quarters full and my fan run time is 4.5 hours. The only negative I have to say about this boiler is cleaning. I am getting a lot of creosote buildup around the air tubes making it hard to remove them to clean. I guess if you are burning wood you’re going to get creosote.
I am posting this to see if anyone else is experiencing the same burn time that I am.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: classic 560 edge performance.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 08:36:09 PM »

Try loading it for 12 hours at a time and that should greatly reduce creosote buildup.

Look at it this way:

100lbs of 20% wood is actually 80 lbs of wood and 20 lbs of water or roughly 2 1/2 gallons of water.
100lbs of 15% wood is actually 85 lbs of wood and 15lbs of water or two gallons roughly.
In your case 14% wood is 86 lbs of wood and 14lbs of water or just under two gallons.

If you load for twelve hour burns, your only adding half the water at loading time.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Bud650

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: classic
  • OWF Model: classic Edge 560
    • View Profile
Re: classic 560 edge performance.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 06:46:23 AM »

Thank you for the info someone else said the same thing. I will try that.