Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is this an easy decision?  (Read 11221 times)

merrellroofing

Is this an easy decision?
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:09:58 AM »

Central Boiler 6048 for $8030
Natures Comfort 325 for $7980
You get a few more pieces with the NCB (1 pump & maybe a few others) but for the little price difference 6048 looks pretty good

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Re: Is this an easy decision?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »

I've have a 6048 for about 4 seasons now, have had no problems with it.  Can't tell you about the NCB, and I'm sure it's a good unit, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another CB.  Gonna be hard to find a person with experience from both units...  Good luck...
Hudson, WI

osentoskifirewood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:16:11 PM »

I am new at this. But i would go with a Hawken 2100 I had a 6048 what a pile of junk. I am heating 6000 sq feet with the cb i burn about 60 face cord with the hawken hawken about 20 face cord and put on the biger pump on 1/6 hp the heating is so much hotter. I hope this will help you in any way.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:06:20 PM »

The NCB325G does qualify for the $300 tax credit if that helps.

merrellroofing

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 02:47:23 PM »

I was looking at a 2100 but with all the things you read on here Hawken kind of scared me.  How long have you been running yours?

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 06:50:41 AM »

I don't know if I'd call the CB "a pile of junk"...  I may be a little biased, but I wouldn't call any of the popular brands that are named on the main page of this forum, a pile of junk.  They all do the job very well.  Some better than others.

In case you didn't know... CB is kinda popular.
Hudson, WI

osentoskifirewood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 08:24:27 AM »

Well if you must ask i had the dealer out 15 time in the frist year with cb every thing that went wrong went wrong had it for 3 years. Then the spray foam coulk on fire it took half a year to get my money out of cb. That when i look at the hawken 2100 it hold 370 gallon of water. Had this for 3 years with out a bit of trouble the dealer is very experince in the outdoor woodstove he has been installing then for 18 years. I have talk to other that had the cb and the hawken dealer has replace 12 popular brands. I know hawken had trouble in the past with the gh stove but it was a bad deal and they got in middle. But there new stove is very very good unit. I have look at 15 popular brands of stoves before buying hawken.

merrellroofing

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 01:02:11 PM »

I went to see a hawken 2100 in action last night. There is a new dealer about ten minutes from my house.  He just had installed at christmas and it is his first unit so most here have more knowledge on owb than me or him.  I thought it looked pretty good except it looked like the fire caulk around the chimney was already burning out.  I assume you get that with any model that pipes thru the roof.  And when the fan kicked on, man was that thing smokin. 
  I also got a price from Burnrite, Which is here in Mt. Pleasant.  They have a very similar model to the 2100. It is built much stronger and is almost twice the weight of the 2100. I saw the smaller models from burnrite and was very impressed, but the price on the big one was almost 9g's and only a 10 year warranty.  But to me it looked to be far superior build quality than the 2100.

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 05:15:46 PM »

I own an Empyre, my father-in law has the CB6048, a friend has a NC, not sure what model number. You'd think I'd be biased, but I'm not. I have done boat loads of research like it sounds like you have, and from what I've seen and read, the Portage and Main is by far the best Wood boiler out there. I drove down to Louisville Ky. about 5 weeks ago and looked at every manufacturer there, and the Portage and Main guys were the only ones who gave realistic efficiency ratings for their units. Some of the manufacturers actually want you to believe that their boilers will get more than 90% thermal efficiencies out of their gasifiers and as high as 75% out of their non-gasifier units. (one dealer actually told me that theirs tested at 107% at the EPA test site) Anyone on this site can tell you that that is simply not possible unless you started with wood that is at 0% moisture. Brian with Portage and Main(I don't know what position he holds with the company) gave me and everyone else that was in attendance realistic expectations of what today's modern boilers can achieve. As far as efficiencies are concerned, there isn't squat for difference between any of the top 5 or 6 players, so to me an investment like this has to boil(pun intended) down to construction and manufacturer support. The Portage and Mains are easy to work on if you have to, and the way they are welded together is better than any that I've come across. At the end of this burning season I am going to get rid of my Pro 100 and drive more than 100 miles to buy a Portage and Main. That's if spring ever gets here!
   That's my 5 cents.
P.S. Anyone interested in a 6 month old Empyre Pro Series 100?
   Marty
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

osentoskifirewood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 07:02:40 AM »

The problem is with the burn rite 4100 when you to steel in the fire box at 3/8 you loss a lot of heat transfer and out the chimmy it go. If you could find a steel that would hold up at 10 gauge you get 75% more heat transfer. And the other thing when you buy a canada stove if you have a problem it will cost you a 1000.00 to get it there and back. I look at a lot of stoves and the hawken is best for your buck at 6800.00 20 years warranty 1/4" fire box and water  jacket and the water treatment is very best on the market by certfied lab they test the water not you then they tell you what to do.

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 06:02:13 AM »

The NC325G has a 1/4 firebox and a water jacket around the chimney to reclaim the heat before it escapes out the chimney.  Nature's Comfort has a computer model of the waterflow inside the boiler.  They use this modeling software to determine where to put deverters in the waterflow stream so there is a consistant temperature throughout the boiler.  The NC325G also has a secondary air tube at the top of the firebox to help promote gasification.  All of the NC boilers are lazer cut and robot welded. 
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

merrellroofing

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 06:35:25 AM »

So how do they get the water to come up out of tha tube that goes on the chimney.  Seems like sitting water to me.

yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 07:37:22 AM »

I am new at this. But i would go with a Hawken 2100 I had a 6048 what a pile of junk. I am heating 6000 sq feet with the cb i burn about 60 face cord with the hawken hawken about 20 face cord and put on the biger pump on 1/6 hp the heating is so much hotter. I hope this will help you in any way.
I do not own a CB but have read a lot and know a few people who do, I do not know anything about Hawken nor do I have anything against them, but there is no way I believe your wood consumption would be 1/3 of the CB,unless there was something seriously wrong with your CB. There are many very happy CB owners and I doubt they are "junk"
Northern MN

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 10:37:54 AM »

So how do they get the water to come up out of tha tube that goes on the chimney.  Seems like sitting water to me.
From that reply I see you have not looked at a Nature's Comfort in person yet.
You should really try looking at actual boilers instead of just going off the internet. Everyone says theirs is the best on the internet but when you look at the actual stoves you see the real differences.

merrellroofing

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 11:05:21 AM »

As a matter of fact I have.  My friend is a NC dealer.  He just got his stove and became a dealer a few months ago.  His is a 250 and it is his first owb so his knowledge is fairly green.  I have also seen CB, Hawken, Burnrite and Heiss in person.  Only ones nearby.  I am just trying to gain knowledge from people with more experience who may or may not know what they are talking about.  Big $$$ so I hope to do it right and be happy. 
Pages: [1] 2