Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How can this be usable?  (Read 1634 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
How can this be usable?
« on: September 13, 2021, 02:39:26 PM »

I just got a call from a customer asking about cleaning out his plate exchangers. As far as I can tell he has a 10 plate  (5x12") on the water heater and then another 10 plate in series that heats the indoor boiler. The pictures he sent look like a Grundfos 15-58 pump. (not very clear). The indoor boiler system has cast iron radiators.
He says it has been setup like this since 2008. I can't see how he can be getting more than a couple GPM through the system. I was expecting to see at least a 26-99 or larger for the pump.
I am thinking that swapping out both plates to 20's would make the system at least function ok. I normally wouldn't put a 20 on the boiler but since the 10 has supposedly been working, is there any reason to go bigger?

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: How can this be usable?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 02:17:17 PM »

I’m amazed a 10 can even begin to get enough heat into the house loop. thats gotta be a see it to believe it things.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: How can this be usable?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 09:19:14 PM »

Had another  :bash: today.
Can anyone see how this is supposed to work? I had the camera too close  so didn't get everything in the picture but there is a pex barb behind the white valve handle in the middle and another just to the left of that same valve. The arrows were apparently how they expected the flow to go. The valve on the right side is a 3 way valve. There is no other connection to the rest of the indoor heating system other than the top port on that valve.

The indoor system is an almost brand new wall mounted LP boiler that is connected to floor heat and also to an indirect water heater tank. Looked like the boiler was set at 138°. The water heater is on a parallel loop to the floor heat and appears to have a pump that comes on based on water temp in the domestic tank. The thing in the picture is attached to that DHW tank loop. (boiler water)

he said whoever set this up knew he had an open system outdoor boiler. Indoor system is pressurized with auto fill. Also there was no mixing valve anywhere in the system.

He wanted me to just hook the OWB to those two pipes even after I told him about 10 reasons why was bad and/or it wouldn't work. I told him he had to get the company that put that in do the connections. He said it was the same company that installed the whole indoor system.  :o

So is there something I am missing here? Is that not just a 3 way ball valve? I told him I wanted pictures of what they do. Hopefully he sends them. Hahaha