Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Central boiler e-classic 1450 hi 1 message!!!  (Read 2494 times)

Hunt4heat

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450 edge classic
    • View Profile
Central boiler e-classic 1450 hi 1 message!!!
« on: October 31, 2021, 06:34:27 AM »

Hi all, everything shut down at the end of the season earlier this year as normal. Now I go to start up and beforehand I switched out to Molly armor. I go to fire it up yesterday and I get a high number one fault where all three lights are flashing on the side display. With some investigation I find out that it is showing that it's 800° water temperature as you can see in the screenshot. My question is where is the temperature sensor on this unit? I've tried tracing the wires going to the back by the blower box with no lock there? My next place is I'm going to remove the side metal where the damper handle is to see if I can find it in there? Is there a way to know whether it's the temperature sensor that's bad or is it possible the whole controller board is bad and sensing that the water temperature is boiling when I haven't even started a fire in it yet? Thanks Matt

smithbr

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
Re: Central boiler e-classic 1450 hi 1 message!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 04:44:37 PM »

Matt
Go back 3 pages of messages to November 9, 2018 -  I had a similar experience with my 1450 after a lightning strike.  Both TC inputs, reaction and water, were fried.  Had to change out the controller.  There's some good info in that thread about how your furnace operates in this case.
Blair

smithbr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 04:53:37 PM »

And, by the way, this place is a ghost town.  I'm thinking everyone's on Facebook.  Too bad.  Guess I'll check in occasionally, but it seems pointless.

Hunt4heat

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 05:56:30 PM »

Matt
Go back 3 pages of messages to November 9, 2018 -  I had a similar experience with my 1450 after a lightning strike.  Both TC inputs, reaction and water, were fried.  Had to change out the

controller.  There's some good info in that thread about how your furnace operates in this case.
Blair
Thanks Smith BR, I sent you a PM question but it pretty much asks so all that was faulty was your controller screen and what is North Star?

smithbr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 06:39:46 AM »

Not just the screen - there are specific analog input circuits on the controller board that handle the TC inputs.  I'm an electronics tech; I know that they're most likely the damaged components, but without a schematic even I can't diagnose and repair the board.  So, I had to purchase an entire control module; comes with screen, etc.  But it's a dead-easy swapout.

North Star is our "local" (40 miles away) Central Boiler representative.  They had the unit on the shelf, so I was up and running 3 hours after visiting them to pick it up.  Since the weather wasn't terribly cold, they weren't about to drive it to me; I suspect if it had been -30, they might have; they were very helpful.

I didn't receive anything from you, but then I suspect I don't have email contact enabled in the user preferences.  Sorry about that.

Hunt4heat

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 08:34:33 AM »

Ok, but your actual temp sensor was not bad correct?
Mine has continuity and 4 ohms( been electrician for 25 years)
Is my temperature sensor still good then?
Thanks Matt

Hunt4heat

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 08:40:34 AM »

My dealer will let me swap out my entire firestar 2 screen today to see if it fixes my problem ( just a large twist lock plug in to switch over to known good screen and fingers crossed!!!)
I'll post my findings later today or tomorrow...
Thanks Matt

Hunt4heat

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 02:24:58 PM »

Swapped controller screen out and everything works now! Thanks guys for your info, Matt

Hunt4heat

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 06:32:55 PM »

Only bad part is the controller/ screen that he let me use to test to see if it fixed it it's screened as bad, my original screen is still good. Can I put my good screen with the board that he gave me to make one complete good unit?

smithbr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 06:09:50 AM »

Hi Matt
Sorry, missed your last.  Don't know if it's sub-modules are repairable individually.  CB doesn't offer the option of buying either/or.  If I had your situation, I'd cannibalize one and try to make the other complete.
I see no-one is posting here, it's all on fB for sure.  Oh well, guess this forum had it's day.  It sure saved my bacon a few times as a learner, from what I've seen fB is far more chaotic for that sort of thing.
B